Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychodynamic Therapy

Options
  • 02-02-2019 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice for a friend of mine. She is currently suffering from depression and has a long history involving her father attempting suicide which she witnessed, her father cheating on her mother, other family issues, aswell as previous relationship troubles including abuse and rape.

She has so far refused to get any kind of counselling or speak to anyone and continues to bottle up her feelings. She is on medication which doesn't seem to work or improve her. She gets easily overwhelmed by the slightest of issues.

I've asked her repeatedly since last year to see someone and she keeps telling me 'soon'. I've done a bit of research on types of counselling that may suit her and psychodynamic therapy seems to be the one that could have some benefit to her.

Can anyone recommend a good psychodynamic therapist or possible other type of therapist based on what I've said above in the Dublin area? If I can find a good one for her it might be easier to convince her to go.

If this is the wrong place to post this can a Mod move it?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

glenjamin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice for a friend of mine. She is currently suffering from depression and has a long history involving her father attempting suicide which she witnessed, her father cheating on her mother, other family issues, aswell as previous relationship troubles including abuse and rape.

She has so far refused to get any kind of counselling or speak to anyone and continues to bottle up her feelings. She is on medication which doesn't seem to work or improve her. She gets easily overwhelmed by the slightest of issues.

I've asked her repeatedly since last year to see someone and she keeps telling me 'soon'. I've done a bit of research on types of counselling that may suit her and psychodynamic therapy seems to be the one that could have some benefit to her.

Can anyone recommend a good psychodynamic therapist or possible other type of therapist based on what I've said above in the Dublin area? If I can find a good one for her it might be easier to convince her to go.

If this is the wrong place to post this can a Mod move it?

Thank you.

Hi

We cant advise on individual therapist on this forum. However, in the stickies all the accreditation bodies that license therapists will give you contact details.

Your friend seems to be going through a lot, perhaps a referral by her GP would be good. Lots of issues that a psychologist may be able to provide more support after a comprehensive assessment.

Psychodynamic may indeed be a good fit, however, other therapies may work equally well. An assessment really is the first step, this can inform therapy, medication will likely complicate issues, therefore, proper assessment is needed.

Plesse dint just choose a random therapist, psychological assessment is needed

Advertisement