Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watch Plans for 2019

Options
  • 10-01-2019 8:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So with the Christmas thread dealing with what was obtained at the end of 2018, I thought somewhere to share a wishlist for 2019 would be good.

I myself will hopefully pick up a Junghans Max Bill Chrono at some stage. Certainly I want a mechanical chrono and it think it's a beaut.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

In no particular order...

Seiko SRPC16K1

Steinhart Vintage Military 39

Seiko Presage Cocktail Time "Sky Diving"

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If I win the lotto:

c152f61f50750a7aee6001ff72a1b3e3.jpg

116710BLNR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

unkel wrote: »
    If I win the lotto:

c152f61f50750a7aee6001ff72a1b3e3.jpg

116710BLNR
    Trip to Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

For me (Hopefully)

Sometime in March Tissot Seastar

Later in the year maybe a Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 Premium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Planning in getting an Seiko SZSC004 - Green Sumo

Beyond that am looking at a 1966 Bulova Astronaut, silver

Close to pulling the trigger on the Sumo and HDMI said he can help me ship it. So will prob get it next week.

And that is me done really..

Haven’t flipped anything in a very long time and as those on here know me .. that’s saying something .

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I've been eyeing up a Nezumi Corbeau for a few months so I'll likely get one since time this year. I may change my mind to a Loews by the time I come to buying one.

I write like a mechanical chronograph as well so possible a Seagull 1963.

I'm trying to justify a Casio Oceanus. I don't need one. I don't need most of the functionality of one. But the just seem so cool. Quite the looker too in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm thinking of getting a Stowa Flieger Classic Sport

https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+Classic+Sport+43.htm

40246048_154545375452988_8766431658725090386_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.cdninstagram.com

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Didn't take me long to figure out my next watch.

It's the Rolex Explorer II 16570 Polar

470071.jpg

I had the Steinhart Ocean GMT Vintage and sold it last year. At 42mm I thought it was a little on the large side. The Rolex is 40mm so should fit perfectly.

Better get saving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

very tempted to get a Tudor Black Bay Bronze this year , very very tempted

the junghans is one i would love its beautiful. but the price for what you get puts me off a bit

grid-m79250bm-0005.png

also tempted by this oris

872401441997377.jpg;quality=90;h=425

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

also tempted by this oris

Nice Oris, do you know the model?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

At the other end of the scale...

Skx009 modded with a Stargate blue dial, samurai padi hands, black kanji day dial and a sapphire.

Oh and movement upgrade to a nh36.

Refurb my dad's skx031 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Was planning a oyster perpetual 36mm but I don't think I'll be able to drop that kind of cash again after getting the explorer. So maybe a Tudor Black Bay 36mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Plan is to not spend any more money on watches, but unlikely to stick to it. Definitely don't want to spend any more in the 500 to 800 euro range, I've a few of those now, none are ones I'm really happy with and should have spent once rather than a few times last year....

On a waiting list for a blnr gmt2 but not not certain I'll take one if offered.....

Most likely to go for a grand seiko hi beat gmt on a steel bracelet if I see the right one... Would need to be a US purchase as not willing to pay the EU prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

I'm on the other end also...
    Love the max bill to bits , although I'm only getting into this about six months, it caught my attention immediately, class, the tudor bronze it's gorgeous too and that Oris is lovely

Alas, back to attainable reality.....
    The seagull 1963 is top of my list,
    May get the seiko 55 fathoms in blue (just bought the gold) I need an accurate, legible, tough beater for my fishing, and after that I'd like a vintage seiko or two (affordable ones) I bought a cheap old '77 seiko 5 recently and enjoy it a lot, love the idea of having a 40yr old automatic watch that is still chugging away! the 6119c movement seems a lot sturdier than the 7s36 as well, I'd like a '73 seiko for my birth year

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Nice Oris, do you know the model?

ORIS ARTIX
    674 7644 40 51 LS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Steinhart GMT Ocean 1 39 Black..... in Q2.

Would love '67 Omega Seamaster date with black hands....not this year though....

Lotto: Breguet Classique https://www.chrono24.com/breguet/classique---5177br299v6--id8956664.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

On a waiting list for a blnr gmt2 but not not certain I'll take one if offered.....

Rolex n00b questions. How does that work? Where are you on the waiting list, with Rolex itself or with a particular AD? How long do you reckon the waiting list is / when do you expect to be on top? What happens if it's your turn, do you get to buy the the watch at RRP, which I think is €8,350 for the 116710BLNR?

Even if you didn't want it / couldn't afford it, surely you could buy and sell on for an immediate profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I got a Seiko presage cocktail last year. It's a stunning watch in my eyes. I want to get something on steel and came across the seiko perpetual calendar recently. That's my aim for 2019 me thinks or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lads, just curious and sorry for what is possibly a stupid question, but do you find batteries die quickly if watch(es) go unworn for a period and how do you overcome this? Is simply pulling the winder an obvious one ?

dodzy wrote: »
    Lads, just curious and sorry for what is possibly a stupid question, but do you find batteries die quickly if watch(es) go unworn for a period and how do you overcome this? Is simply pulling the winder an obvious one ?
    If you're talking ordinary quartz then they run for however many years (look up the caliber for estimated battery life) whether worn or not. It shouldn't make any difference.

Pulling out the crown extends the battery life in some (most?) quartz calibers...again, look it up for specifics. For example with some Ronda movements it extends the battery life 70%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Horoaddict

Definitely going to pick up either a Hamilton Jazzmaster GMT or Hamilton X Patrol this year. X Patrol is slightly taking the lead at the moment and the reason i've held off on the GMT.

Depending how things go I'd also like to get a Speedy or a Navitimer.

Also on the waiting list for a Submariner no date which, if I get to the top i'll more than likely buy and sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

saccades wrote: »
    At the other end of the scale...

Skx009 modded with a Stargate blue dial, samurai padi hands, black kanji day dial and a sapphire.

Oh and movement upgrade to a nh36.

Refurb my dad's skx031 too.

I'm on the other end of scale too must finally pick up a skx007 but the skx009 pepsi bezel has grown on me a lot. Brother has a spare Garmin Fenix 3 that's tempting me but that will be my watch budget blown if I pick it up.

Hadn't heard of the skx031 very nice looking watch.

P8130086.jpg

Nice to have something from your Dad. I have my dad's quartz Seiko that he bought in 1983/4, from what I can work out what he paid for it he could have got a Omega Speedy! It was his only watch worn daily for 25 years so you can imagine it took a beating. Would like to get it fixed up. It need's a new crystal but the bracelet is going to be tricky It has a single centre lug. I know when he got a third bracelet for it in the late 90's there was a bit of difficulty sourcing one.

470101.jpg

470100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'm confused and probably should just stop :)

I have an Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT and love it, bought a Seiko Alpinist before xmas and enjoying that to, also picked up a casio edifice EQW-M710,

Wanted it as I think the tech is cool, to have the time synced from radio etc.. Its a nice looking watch to on a decent bracelet. I just got a strapcode two tone bracelet for my Alpinist that I might put on later and post pics.

I am wondering if I should stick with reasonably priced watches say sub 500 and have a few or save up and have one watch.. go for something like a seamaster around the 2k mark and hold tight at that...

Part of me likes the idea of picking up a few watches, I have my eye on a Seiko sarb033 or a Hamilton Khaki Aviation Pilot Day Date

Also like the look of the Seiko Presage cocktail time..

I have a friend who got an expensive breitling recently but I can never seen myself spending that sort of month on a watch. it is fantastic in fairness.

Do people generally go for say one of each type of watch? A field watch, dress watch, diver, chronograph.. or mix and match..

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I may sell to buy, but I fancy:

1. Tudor Black Bay or Seamaster.
    2. Seiko Alpinist.
    3. Fifty Five Fathoms modded Seiko (expect a thread on this if I do - I haven't a notion! :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

SeaFields wrote: »
    I got a Seiko presage cocktail last year. It's a stunning watch in my eyes. I want to get something on steel and came across the seiko perpetual calendar recently. That's my aim for 2019 me thinks or something similar.

The kinetic perpetual calendar?

Do people generally go for say one of each type of watch? A field watch, dress watch, diver, chronograph.. or mix and match..

Cheers,
    Mick

Everyone's different. I've seen collections of 20 divers watches. I don't wear a suit regularly, I have one dress watch for that definitely handy to have.
    It's nice to have a mix. I've no watch winder, for me it's handy to have 2 quartz watches which are handy to grab if you're late and running out the door. A g-shock is dead handy to have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cienciano wrote: »
    The kinetic perpetual calendar?

Yeah, I really like the look of it albeit I haven't held one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

First purchase of 2019

2ibhkpe.jpg

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah, I really like the look of it albeit I haven't held one.

Amazing looking watch. My dad is mad for a perpetual calendar, trying to convince him to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Going to the states in May so ill be on a bit of a buying spree, from the Grey Importers like Jomashop etc. Ill be buying quartz so not too worried about local warranty etc, and also wont be buying anything mad prices.

Hamilton Day Date Field king

Tissot t Tradition Crono

If im to spend maybe a longines or TAG maybe not sure.

Advertisement