Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DJing with a laptop

Options
  • 04-12-2018 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Late to the game here. I've always used vinyl. But wonder if I want to use a laptop to dj mp3's what's a good program to use for Windows ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Johnson_76 wrote: »
    Late to the game here. I've always used vinyl. But wonder if I want to use a laptop to dj mp3's what's a good program to use for Windows ?
    Thanks

Traktor, serato, rekordbox, virtual dj, djay are the main ones I think.
    Should be trials available and some controllers will come with the program
    free if you register the serial no.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Johnson_76

sweetie wrote: »
    Traktor, serato, rekordbox, virtual dj, djay are the main ones I think.
    Should be trials available and some controllers will come with the program
    free if you register the serial no.

Thanks for that much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Free open source mixing software,

https://www.mixxx.org/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

DJing with a laptop is called Jukeboxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Free open source mixing software,

https://www.mixxx.org/
    This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

iamstop wrote: »

And elitism for what media you play rather than what comes out your speakers is called tiresome

iamstop wrote: »
    duploelabs wrote: »
    And elitism for what media you play rather than what comes out your speakers is called tiresome

Not being elitist, but DJ does stand for Disc Jockey.

I wouldn't call it being elitist calling out DJ'ing with a laptop, i would call it being a traditionalist.

That said, a rave or party can be mighty on the tunes alone.

I do recall, when standing on the main dance floor of the Asylum, unless you were right at the very front and looking into DJ box, you would never have caught sight of DJ or turntables for the entire night, i never knew who was playing any of the time, nor did i care, to the left of main dance floor through the arches, there was another dance floor that was square by design and each side would face towards each other, no DJ box to be seen, just huge speakers banging out tracks, if those tracks had have been coming from a laptop (not possible of the time i know, but for arguments sake), would anyone have given a s**t? I wouldn't have even known.

I think the elevation of DJ's to be the main focal point of a Rave/Festival/Party like a singer in a concert is a detractor from the event.

The real buzz and feeling or emotion is generated by the tunes and the Ravers enjoyment with each other of the highs, build ups, breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Exactly my point.

Turntablism is it's own skill in its own right, although I think that has been highly diluted in the era of DVS. But at the end of it, it's what comes out the speakers and how you manipulate the mood of the listeners is what makes you a dj.
    I recall I was told I wasn't a dj by a pair of the capitals biggest jocks as I turned up at a gig with a pair of one of the country's first set of pioneer cdj500 in 96.
    Now nearly everyone uses a pair (including the brace of c*cks who called me that 22 years ago).

Mediums come and go, evolve and revolve, at the core of what you do as a dj still remains eternal

There are certain things that can add a nice touch though with turntables.

That natural sound of a record being scratched or spun back and not being simulated.

In a more intimate party, being able to see the discs going on and off and looking through a crate for the next track.

Personally, i still prefer turntables and vinyl over anything else by a country mile if its possible, that because i am a traditionalist, but if you are having a blast with whatever medium you choose, delighted for you, go for it.

I recall parties when we had no decks, only an inside pocket of my jacket with about five tapes of an hour and a half each and some moody lighting and a strobe, had some incredible experiences with just that alone, tapes would have been most likely,

Pressure - Gradiation
    Jay Carey - Rotations
    Jay Carey - Ignorance
    Ed case - Triple XXX
    Pressure - Eye Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

There are certain things that can add a nice touch though with turntables.

That natural sound of a record being scratched or spun back and not being simulated.

In a more intimate party, being able to see the discs going on and off and looking through a crate for the next track.

Personally, i still prefer turntables and vinyl over anything else by a country mile if its possible, that because i am a traditionalist, but if you are having a blast with whatever medium you choose, delighted for you, go for it.

I recall parties when we had no decks, only an inside pocket of my jacket with about five tapes of an hour and a half each and some moody lighting and a strobe, had some incredible experiences with just that alone, tapes would have been most likely,

Pressure - Gradiation
    Jay Carey - Rotations
    Jay Carey - Ignorance
    Ed case - Triple XXX
    Pressure - Eye Q

That was Ed Case - Eye Q mate, he also did a Frankfurt Beat tribute mix, both amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement