Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads 2018

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They're not terrible but they have no warm fuzzy feeling in them. I think it would have been better if they'd gone a step further and showed people's faces when they opened their perfect gifts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

miamee wrote: »
    They're not terrible but they have no warm fuzzy feeling in them. I think it would have been better if they'd gone a step further and showed people's faces when they opened their perfect gifts.

It's the stupid smug look on the gift buyers face that annoys me... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Briggs Long Honeysuckle

Loughc wrote: »
    It's the stupid smug look on the gift buyers face that annoys me... :mad:

This. Plus the ad in general is awful in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Those debenhams ones do nothing for me, they're the kind of adverts that I ignore when they come on the TV whilst the really well done christmas adverts make me stop & pay attention & want to see again:)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Tesco winning over Debenhams by a mile, in my opinion.

Messy homes with noisy families are far more Christmassy than perfect homes and consumerist shiny people.

I know they're all meant to make us shop in that store: (It's the nature of an ad, lol)
    - but I still think it's more tactful and friendlier to not stress purchasing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Loved the Barbour one...felt tingles up my back and neck....
    Debenhams one.....mmmm... Kind of see where it came from. I know during the year, I am constantly on the look out with people
    I like to make a serious effort for (not saying I spend huge money..but like to make it personal) I file away things they might have
    said, or liked....

• I love traditional 'Christmas is about family', tear jerker sort of ads but I also like to see new ideas and something a bit clever or different.

I like the concept of the debenhams ad for the reasons described in the post above... When you're filing away someone's likes all year and then feel that total pride knowing you've got this one right..

Having said that... I'm not sure they fully pulled it off. I liked it but I can see them ads getting really really annoying over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Love it...but what happened to the truck?

Now I'm in a fever of anxiety about poor Kevin.

what happened to the truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I know they were getting people to guess how he escaped as part of their Instagram treasure hunt but I need to know!

That was my first thought too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Coca Cola Truck gave him a tow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I say I be sick of Kevin the Carrot Aldi Christmas Advert by the time Christmas comes round! As its the first Christmas ad of 2018. The ad is just silly really they copying the Coke Cola ad which I think has spoilt it for Coke Cola. I don't mind Kevin the Carrot but they could do something more inventive.

I think the argos ad isn't too bad ya the Christmas fool ruins Christmas but karma comes back on him! I thought was a funny ad not your typically really Christmassy ad. The plain family Christmas dinner ads I think is nicer gives the true meaning of Christmas if you like and still being festive. Thought the Christmas ads didn't start for another few days usually!?

I look forward to John Lewis's Christmas Ad. They all seem to have gradually started the Christmas ads today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Didn't see the second Kevin the Carrot Aldi Christmas ad they usually have two running which might be slightly better and more in keeping with the theme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Boots Ad. (unfortunate typo there Boots - they spelled Christmas wrong!)

I like that, very well done by Boots!

The boots ad is super cute. Job well done :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Boots one is lovely. Debenhams = meh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

What dya want for crimbo babe?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Aaaaa..sitting here...tears in my eyes at the Boots one. Reminds me of myself and my teenager.....

It gets my No 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not sure how to post the link, maybe someone else can - but Icelands ad, with Emma Thompson's voiceover has been banned for being too political.

Powerful message from Iceland.

#notoPalmoilthisChristmas

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Heathrow Christmas 2018. I really like this one (mainly cause I love the song :D ) even though its not a Christmas song it seems to fit somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ahh, love the Heathrow ad !

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Denzel123

Eir has a Christmas ad saw the last minute of it yesterday on tv but can’t find it anywhere to post it. Thought it was nice

That Heathrow ad is lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The Heathrow Ad is so cute

Advertisement