Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 MLB Postseson Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Safe to say Dodgers did not have a very good night.

• I'm changing my mind. The Brewers have this season, and can see them taking it in game 6.
    Dodgers seem flat, and it's not just something recent. The whole season has been a bit flat. Can't see them turning it around.

Of all the other teams left in the Playoffs, I'd like to see the Brewers win it all, but that's not going to be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'm changing my mind. The Brewers have this season, and can see them taking it in game 6.
    Dodgers seem flat, and it's not just something recent. The whole season has been a bit flat. Can't see them turning it around.

Of all the other teams left in the Playoffs, I'd like to see the Brewers win it all, but that's not going to be easy

Houston's loaded for bear; whoever wins the AL seems like it'll be a heavy favorite.

And, any time Justin Verlander's pitching, there's a possibility of a Kate Upton sighting, which is reason enough to root for Houston:p

• Igotadose wrote: »
    Houston's loaded for bear; whoever wins the AL seems like it'll be a heavy favorite.

And, any time Justin Verlander's pitching, there's a possibility of a Kate Upton sighting, which is reason enough to root for Houston:p

As much as I enjoy seeing Kate Upton, and like a lot of players on the Astros team, I hate seeing one team dominate, and win back to back championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

5.09pm Eastern start for the Red Sox tonight, excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

In non-playoff news, that God awful Home Run sculpture in Miami is going.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article220118635.html

Boston bats on fire to start off the game!

EDIT - 2 runs, could have been worse for Houston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Balls was sure that was going to be an rbi double. Some catch by kemp.

Only lasted the first few innings last night so had to get up early to watch the rest. Grand Slam was a great moment. I'm pumped up for the day now, wouldn't have been able to sleep after that!

Going to be a lot more sleepless nights coming up

Nice waking up and there’s still baseball going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice game, tense, tight. Good ending if you're a Dodger fan. Tonight's going to be another.

Nice waking up and there’s still baseball going on.

At last. I’m late for work, gotta go.

• Nice waking up and there’s still baseball going on.

It was fantastic, woke up and watched the 13th inning in bed.
    Good win for the Dodgers. I know they used up all their bullpen arms as well, but hopefully Kershaw can eat up a lot of innings tonight, and win us the game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Fell asleep watching the game about 11pm and woke up at 2am to see the last inning and the Dodgers win in the 13th.  Only 12 hours between the end of the game and start of today’s game.  Should be interesting.  GO DODGERS!  My uncle played on the Dodgers for two years (one year in Brooklyn and one in LA) and had an OBP of .370 and .322 (he was one of the best at knowing the strike zone and walked quite a lot).  He had many stories of some of the greats he played with on the team… Roy Campanella, Gil Hodges, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, Carl Furillo, Don Newcombe, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax and others.  I never tired of his MLB stories.

s-l300.jpg

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Has Machado always been this bad?

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-called-out-as-dirty-player/c-297998148

He's not showing himself off well in this series.

Has Machado always been this bad?

https://www.mlb.com/news/manny-machado-called-out-as-dirty-player/c-297998148

He's not showing himself off well in this series.

I hadn't heard anything before last night but reading today, it seems he has a bit of a bad reputation alright.

Gio Gonzalez is done for the rest of the playoffs after last night's injury.

Brewers pulled Miley after one batter. Seems like it may have been planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Brewers pulled Miley after one batter. Seems like it may have been planned.
    Clever by Counsell especially when he brings a righty in there to replace him. Apparently he did the same thing a few weeks back against the Cardinals so the potential for this to happen was out there...

Just watched the highlights there and great finish to the Red Sox/Astros game.

I agree with the fan interference call too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Thought it was clear interference too.

Kimbrell is a car crash waiting to happen.

• Just watched the highlights there and great finish to the Red Sox/Astros game.

We have another 'Steve Bartman' type incident in the making. Potential two run homer lost and the Astros lose 8-6. Ouch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Just watched the highlights there and great finish to the Red Sox/Astros game.

Don't agree with the fan interference call personally though the ball was past where his glove would have been. Just my view on it and I only watched it a couple of times. Definite contact alright but I felt the ball beat him to the spot.

• Kershaw has me driven me mad this season.
    He looked like he might get knocked out of the game in the 3rd last night, and managed to turn it around, and was practically lights out after that.
    He's obviously not the player that he was a year years back. He's just inconsistent now.
    I love the guy, but if he opt'd out his contract at the end of the season, and went elsewhere, I wouldn't be as heartbroken as I might have been a few years back.
    And to be honest, I doubt the Dodgers would be either. He's not playing to his value currently

Price is 3 outs (from Kimbrel) away from getting that elusive postseason - he deserves it, he was lights out tonight.

Great to see that performance from Price.

David 'Cant' Pitch in October' Price verse Justin 'Clutch' Verlander, there was only going to be one outcome. I love it when the narrative is turned on its head.

Don't agree with the fan interference call personally though the ball was past where his glove would have been. Just my view on it and I only watched it a couple of times. Definite contact alright but I felt the ball beat him to the spot.

Bias aside I agree with the call. His glove comes in contact with fans hands before the ball reached, that should be fan interference. You shouldn't have to compete for a ball with people not in the game and the split-second a fan touched your glove the play should be dead in my view regardless of where the ball is.

This is typical of American sports fans, always wanting to get on the jumbotron. Sit down and watch the game. Stand up at exciting times but don't reach for a ball in play. Stupid and get what you deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKOt2T70SBg

Also.....League Champs!!! Roll on the World Series!

• Great series from the Red Sox
    Knocking off the Champs in 5 games is seriously impressive.

Really want the Dodgers to get through to play them.
    When was the last time two really big named teams made the WS? The numbers watching would be huge

8-10 wrote: »
    This is typical of American sports fans, always wanting to get on the jumbotron. Sit down and watch the game. Stand up at exciting times but don't reach for a ball in play. Stupid and get what you deserve.

I think you're being a bit hard on the fan(s) there. It's a natural instinct to stand up and put your hand out to catch a ball that's coming at you. In the heat of the moment, I'd say 99% of people would do the exact same thing. If you've ever watched the 'Catching Hell' documentary about Bartman, he got all the slack but there were numerous other people with their hands out trying to catch the ball, some of whom were probably abusing him afterwards.

And in the case on Wednesday, it's not conclusive that the ball is definitely in play. I've watched the video a load of times and although I think it was interference and the ball was in play, I'm still not 100% sure and there have been loads of people arguing the other side today and I can't say they're definitely wrong.

There was a funny discussion on the Dan LeBatard show today about why in 2018, fans are still located in a position to influence a game and why there isn't some sort of buffer between the field of play and the fans. They were joking about how you'd never see a receiver in the NFL about to catch a pass in the end zone and a fan comes along and sticks his arm in.

• Advertisement

When was the last time two really big named teams made the WS? The numbers watching would be huge

Yeah, the Dodgers v Red Sox would be MLB's dream come true.

Advertisement