Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Senior Supplement"

Options
  • 25-08-2018 10:53pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it occurred to me today, that the cob has moved into the senior bracket and while he is healthy ,I want to get ahead of joint problems etc. He doesn't get hard feed much as I need him to be slow and steady (and he also piles on the pounds at even the sniff of nosh. Over the winter he will be getting a small amount of feed , garlic included.

Can anyone suggest a supplement that you have found to be of use?I previously used a particular feed for another horse, but wasn't mad on it as it made him gain even more weight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

I found Devils relief excellent for my old mare during the winters. She also was a good doer and I didn't notice any weight gain

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Thanks for that :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had my guy on Devils relief too and Baileys senior mix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Boswelia - basically Frankincense. It should be the Boswellia Serratta version. Introduce it slowly as it smells funky and not all like it.

http://www.naturalhorse.com/equineblog/index.php/feed-facts-and-fancies?blog=5

I'm cautious of devils claw, it can cause ulcers as it increases acid production when used long term apparently. Its also been associated with loss of appetite and weight loss but I am not sure how valid that statement is.

Flaxseed (aka linseed) is also good for reducing inflammation. I add milled linseed to my older mare's feed and it seems to make a difference.

I've often bought my supplements through here and had them delivered through parcel motel or parcel wizard - much cheaper than getting it here sometimes!

https://www.equinenatural.co.uk/product/boswellia-powder/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm not 100% sure of how well it works with horses, but YuMove works fantastically with dogs and they have developed an equine version. If it works as well as the dog supplement (and so far the reviews suggest it does), it's worth the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement