Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple wedding 2019

• 23-08-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi everyone, my fiancé and I will like to get married in August next year but we will be 40 people all together. We have two young children so our budget is never going to be too big. Any idea of how much a very simple wedding could cost? And maybe places to have it. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

The cheapest way of doing it would probably be to have your ceremony in the registry office (you only pay the 200€ registration fee that you have to pay anyway) and then go to a restaurant for dinner. Plenty of places have private dining rooms. Buy dress, suit etc on asos or somewhere like that if you don't want to spend a fortune on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fina82

miezekatze wrote: »
    The cheapest way of doing it would probably be to have your ceremony in the registry office (you only pay the 200€ registration fee that you have to pay anyway) and then go to a restaurant for dinner. Plenty of places have private dining rooms. Buy dress, suit etc on asos or somewhere like that if you don't want to spend a fortune on these things.

Thank for that, that is what I was thinking except the actual marriage as I will like to have a church wedding but not too bothered with bridesmaids and center pieces, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Fina82 wrote: »
    Thank for that, that is what I was thinking except the actual marriage as I will like to have a church wedding but not too bothered with bridesmaids and center pieces, etc

The civil part is still only €200 and you can discuss with your religious celebrant how much of a donation he/she will expect. Everything after that is really up to you. I had 17 at my church wedding 22 years ago and we didn’t send any invitations for example but you can buy 2 or 3 packs of blank cards in the pound shop and write them yourself if you want. You need neither bridesmaid or best man so you only need to dress both of you and kids and you needn’t spend very much. If you want a singer at the church then the priest usually has names of people they know. This person will have to be paid. You probably will want a posy if flowers for yourself,€40-€60 depending. Wedding rings, plain gold bands less than €100 each.
    If you have a suitable home or you have close family with a suitable home I would shop around for home caterers (they are plentiful now) to come and do food at home. Plenty of wine/prosecco from Aldi, iPhone for a bit of background music and you’ll have the perfect day.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The civil part is still only €200 and you can discuss with your religious celebrant how much of a donation he/she will expect. Everything after that is really up to you. I had 17 at my church wedding 22 years ago and we didn’t send any invitations for example but you can buy 2 or 3 packs of blank cards in the pound shop and write them yourself if you want. You need neither bridesmaid or best man so you only need to dress both of you and kids and you needn’t spend very much. If you want a singer at the church then the priest usually has names of people they know. This person will have to be paid. You probably will want a posy if flowers for yourself,€40-€60 depending. Wedding rings, plain gold bands less than €100 each.
    If you have a suitable home or you have close family with a suitable home I would shop around for home caterers (they are plentiful now) to come and do food at home. Plenty of wine/prosecco from Aldi, iPhone for a bit of background music and you’ll have the perfect day.

Thank you very much for your useful tips and advice. I know were and what budget to start now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

In terms of venue, what part of the country are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Got married last year. 40 ppl at the wedding. 3 course meal and got married in a church. All drink food for free 7k it cost.

That was in spain and it was hard to get the right priest in Ireland to send the forms over but all in all I have been to larger weddings that cost a lot more and i couldn't tell the difference.

Just an example of price. Our photographer in Spain cost 300, we got 450 photos for this. In Ireland the first quote was over 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrsm2be19

Im getting married next july we are having 50, we are doing everything in the hotel, its costing us 5k for everything, we are having ceremony a 4 course dinner and dancing with a 2 piece band, not having a bar extension as its 400€ for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The registry office in Dublin have a lovely room for the ceremony. You have a 30 minute slot so it's very quick. :D

Sorry just seen you want a church wedding. Still easy to have a simple wedding. Just book a restaurant rather than a hotel and then a few drinks somewhere. If everyone is local there's no accommodation cost for them and if someone is travelling they can just book somewhere. It'll be cheaper than a hotel's 'wedding rate'.

Happy4all wrote: »
    In terms of venue, what part of the country are you from?

We live in Meath

Got married last year. 40 ppl at the wedding. 3 course meal and got married in a church. All drink food for free 7k it cost.

That was in spain and it was hard to get the right priest in Ireland to send the forms over but all in all I have been to larger weddings that cost a lot more and i couldn't tell the difference.

Just an example of price. Our photographer in Spain cost 300, we got 450 photos for this. In Ireland the first quote was over 1k

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement

Mrsm2be19 wrote: »
    Im getting married next july we are having 50, we are doing everything in the hotel, its costing us 5k for everything, we are having ceremony a 4 course dinner and dancing with a 2 piece band, not having a bar extension as its 400€ for it!

Thank you very much

Wheety wrote: »
    The registry office in Dublin have a lovely room for the ceremony. You have a 30 minute slot so it's very quick. :D

Sorry just seen you want a church wedding. Still easy to have a simple wedding. Just book a restaurant rather than a hotel and then a few drinks somewhere. If everyone is local there's no accommodation cost for them and if someone is travelling they can just book somewhere. It'll be cheaper than a hotel's 'wedding rate'.

Thank you very much lovely people for taking the time to advise me, you are really helpful :)

Mrsm2be19 wrote: »

Did the hotel supply the band or you hire them? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lollie25

Hi everyone, my fiancé and I will like to get married in August next year but we will be 40 people all together. We have two young children so our budget is never going to be too big. Any idea of how much a very simple wedding could cost? And maybe places to have it. TIA

Did you manage to book anything?

lollie25 wrote: »
    Did you manage to book anything?

Nothing yet, the places we have being are too wedding oriented, we will have to book the room the whole day and all we want is dinner and use the garden for the kids to play while we wait for the food but they all talk about the "red carpet" and the "dance floor". We still hopping we would find the right place 😖

Nothing yet, the places we have being are too wedding oriented, we will have to book the room the whole day and all we want is dinner and use the garden for the kids to play while we wait for the food but they all talk about the "red carpet" and the "dance floor". We still hopping we would find the right place 😖

Did you try Glebe house in Dowth? We are looking at it at the moment as we want a small wedding.
    Yea we are getting annoyed with all the “wedding venues” they have no interest in small weddings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

For them, economically, your proposed arrangement don’t make good business. At the end of the day, for the venue, they’re running a business. That’s the bottom line.

splinter65 wrote: »
    For them, economically, your proposed arrangement don’t make good business. At the end of the day, for the venue, they’re running a business. That’s the bottom line.

I understand that, I would have thought that 40 people for dinner on a week day without the hassle of flowers and chair covers would make a good business but anyway. We will find something

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

I understand that, I would have thought that 40 people for dinner on a week day without the hassle of flowers and chair covers would make a good business but anyway. We will find something

I'm sorry you're having difficulty - dinner for 40 people seems pretty straightforward. Are you advising each venue you contact that it is for a wedding? If you are, it may be their wedding co-ordinator you are speaking to and they may only deal with weddings specifically. When we were originally going to go for something more casual and non-traditional, we contacted venues and asked about hosting a family gathering. This might yield better results?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When we looked I specifically lined out in the request that we're getting married but aren't looking for a wedding package - just a private dining option. Almost all places were very accommodating and would charge set meal group prices instead of the wedding package per head.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    When we looked I specifically lined out in the request that we're getting married but aren't looking for a wedding package - just a private dining option. Almost all places were very accommodating and would charge set meal group prices instead of the wedding package per head.

Where did you look and where did you get in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

lollie25 wrote: »
    Where did you look and where did you get in the end?

Dublin and in the Southeast.
    Was looking last year in Summer, decided on the Cliff Townhouse to rent their private upstairs room.
    We cancelled though because we're eloping now since my legal paperwork is massively delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hi. We did something very similar with 40 guests total. Had it in a Manor house hotel in our home town so people could stay the night or travel home of they wanted.

We had scones and tea to greet people at 1. Got photos taken on hotel grounds diwn by the river, civil ceremony followed by a meal and half bottle wine per person. Then had a small function room for the night.

Got a friend to make a music play list so no band. Bought flowers in the market the day before for 80 quid. Hotel 2000 (50 per person) including finger food at night.

She wore an altered version of her mothers wedding dress and I bought clothes which I've worn loads of times since. Our mothers did some decorations which were simple but great.

Everything including the civil stuff, photographer, hotel and the entire day for 5,000.

Could have been cheaper if we'd wanted but we splashed out where we wanted.

Hi. We did something very similar with 40 guests total. Had it in a Manor house hotel in our home town so people could stay the night or travel home of they wanted.

We had scones and tea to greet people at 1. Got photos taken on hotel grounds diwn by the river, civil ceremony followed by a meal and half bottle wine per person. Then had a small function room for the night.

Got a friend to make a music play list so no band. Bought flowers in the market the day before for 80 quid. Hotel 2000 (50 per person) including finger food at night.

She wore an altered version of her mothers wedding dress and I bought clothes which I've worn loads of times since. Our mothers did some decorations which were simple but great.

Everything including the civil stuff, photographer, hotel and the entire day for 5,000.

Could have been cheaper if we'd wanted but we splashed out where we wanted.

That sounds lovely, thanks for sharing. The last place was much the same, my fiancé thought that was better for them to know what was a about because I was going to turn up with a white dress so they brought a wedding planer who suggested that per their policy of one wedding per day we would have to pay 1000 extra because was a small number people. As I said we continue our search and it's taking so long that we decided we weren't going to have a church wedding. We have being together for 11 years, that day we wanted to be more for them than for us

That sounds lovely, thanks for sharing. The last place was much the same, my fiancé thought that was better for them to know what was a about because I was going to turn up with a white dress so they brought a wedding planer who suggested that per their policy of one wedding per day we would have to pay 1000 extra because was a small number people. As I said we continue our search and it's taking so long that we decided we weren't going to have a church wedding. We have being together for 11 years, that day we wanted to be more for them than for us

Thanks it was a really lovely day.

Feel free to PM if you want any details. Happy to help. I'm sure you'll find your place.

Feel free to PM if you want any details. Happy to help. I'm sure you'll find your place.

Thanks for that, I would appreciate that. About the civil service. Did someone got married in the tegistry office? How did that go, you got only certain days and times you can get married, I mean, can you get martied a Tuesday at 11am fir instance? Thanks

Thanks for that, I would appreciate that. About the civil service. Did someone got married in the tegistry office? How did that go, you got only certain days and times you can get married, I mean, can you get martied a Tuesday at 11am fir instance? Thanks
    We had a civil ceremony which is a registry office marriage I think. I think you can have it Monday - Friday because the registrar is a civil servant. There might be more restrictions on time buy you can't get a civil marriage at the weekend.

We had ours in the hotel. It was only 15 km travel so they came to us. It was very straightforward

We had a civil ceremony which is a registry office marriage I think. I think you can have it Monday - Friday because the registrar is a civil servant. There might be more restrictions on time buy you can't get a civil marriage at the weekend.

We had ours in the hotel. It was only 15 km travel so they came to us. It was very straightforward

That is great! Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Ok need advise

My boyfriend and I are dating with over 7 years. We live and work I Ireland.

I wasn’t pushed to get married all along but as time is going on I think it would be nice.

However we never go to mass and if we do it’s for anniversary weddings for funerals.

Can anyone tell me what is a civil wedding what does it mean and what does it mean legally.

I would like to elope but I want to elope in Canada

Can anyone shed some light on eloping and civil ceronmies my mother says if we elope we are not really married and it’s not legal and wouldn’t be recognized in Ireland

• Advertisement

Benny122 wrote: »
    Ok need advise

My boyfriend and I are dating with over 7 years. We live and work I Ireland.

I wasn’t pushed to get married all along but as time is going on I think it would be nice.

However we never go to mass and if we do it’s for anniversary weddings for funerals.

Can anyone tell me what is a civil wedding what does it mean and what does it mean legally.

I would like to elope but I want to elope in Canada

Can anyone shed some light on eloping and civil ceronmies my mother says if we elope we are not really married and it’s not legal and wouldn’t be recognized in Ireland

The civil ceremony is the legal part. It's where you tell the government you want to be considered married and they do the admim to make sure the government considers you married. So that's all you need to be married. You can have it done by a registrar. Priests are also registrars that's why you can get married in a church. The religious part of the ceremony is just religion.

If you're going to Canada you'll probably have to get married in a civil ceremony in a registry office in Ireland first and then have a symbolic ceremony in Canada

Advertisement