Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPL Players & 2018 league discussion (& 2019!!)

• 28-01-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone here will know...

So the Indian Premier League just had its draft/auction...

The players who are selected, do they only player with the IPL sides for one league campaign while still be under contract with their clubs back in their home country. E.G Stokes who players for Durham but has played in Oz & India for t20 comps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

The players who are selected, do they only player with the IPL sides for one league campaign while still be under contract with their clubs back in their home country. E.G Stokes who players for Durham but has played in Oz & India for t20 comps?

Depends on players and what they like. They can opt not to participate in the next year and opt to play for domestic clubs.

Usually contract is for 3 years but it's not as strict as like football.

When champions league is played, sometimes players have option to represent both teams, so they even choose which club they want to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Depends on players and what they like. They can opt not to participate in the next year and opt to play for domestic clubs.

Usually contract is for 3 years but it's not as strict as like football.

When champions league is played, sometimes players have option to represent both teams, so they even choose which club they want to represent.

Thought it was a contract for just one IPL season, otherwise why did Stokes get 1.7 million last year and just under that this year?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I still confused...Is he still able to play for his county in England as his still listed as one of their players?

I still confused...Is he still able to play for his county in England as his still listed as one of their players?

He won't play County cricket and don't think the ipl and Blast in England overlap. He can play for his country if his contract specifies that.

It's a little bit like English County players, still signed to an English County, going off in Winter to Australia or New Zealand to play whatever grade cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

I think it has something to do with whether that team wants to retain the player next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thought it was a contract for just one IPL season, otherwise why did Stokes get 1.7 million last year and just under that this year?

He signed for a different team. Pune Supergiant were a replacement for CSK and Rajasthan for 2 years and are now defunct.

He signed for a different team. Pune Supergiant were a replacement for CSK and Rajasthan for 2 years and are now defunct.

There was bidding. All teams can retain few players and release every other players, so all the players belong to the pool and the fresh bidding starts.

Usually the contract is for 3 years but the teams can release players for bidding and make space in the wage bill.

For example, RCB retained Kohli, AB De and Sarfaraz Khan and released all players.

In short, contract is for 3 years and after 3 years there will be bidding for all the players (except retained ones).

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    There was bidding. All teams can retain few players and release every other players, so all the players belong to the pool and the fresh bidding starts.

Usually the contract is for 3 years but the teams can release players for bidding and make space in the wage bill.

For example, RCB retained Kohli, AB De and Sarfaraz Khan and released all players.

In short, contract is for 3 years and after 3 years there will be bidding for all the players (except retained ones).

do they need any other players? that's a damn good team right there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Not sure if this helps to answer your query as it’s related to centrally contracted players

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/30/ipl-2018-trevor-bayliss-vows-pull-back-englands-indian-premier-league-stars-necessary-7273699/

Aegir wrote: »
    do they need any other players? that's a damn good team right there :D

RCB had peak Gayle, AB De, Kohli in the batting line up and still didn't win anything :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Chris Gayle putting on a bit of a show this afternoon

46 off 21 for Kings XI Punjab...

... so far

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3 balls later and he's on 56....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Ashwin reviewed an lbw that was given as a 4 off the bat for Sam Billings, was out on review and the score changed from 60-2 to 56-3.

two cracking games yesterday.

helluva knock from Sansom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Andre Russell is some dude

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

I thought sky had the rights for a years but nothing on their sky+ app planner showing it is on. Have they lost them or gave it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Trampas wrote: »
    I thought sky had the rights for a years but nothing on their sky+ app planner showing it is on. Have they lost them or gave it up?
    Looks like Hotstar have the rights.
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ashwin with a disgraceful dismissal last night!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've never got the outrage over Mankad, the rules are the rules and no one ever gives out to the batsman for breaking them by leaving earlier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ashwin with a disgraceful dismissal last night!

There's only one person to blame, and that's the batsman.

I notice ipl is on sky go via iPad app

Channel 729 on sky. No special sub required

Was watching the Sunrisers and had a quandary when they started batting - do I stick around to watch Jonny and Warner, or do I watch United at Everton. My decision as quickly made and as United went one down I turned to the Hyderabad openers put on a stand of 131 with Bairstow ending it with 2 sixes and finishing 80no

Think I'll head over to the Hills or North County now rather than watch any more of the Goodison massacre

Jofra Archer was Panesaresque in the field yesterday, dropped three reasonably easy chances.

Some finish in the second match today - bottom placed RCB up against leaders CSK

CSK needing 26 off the last over. Dhoni gets 24 of them off the first 5 balls, with the RCB wicketkeeper throwing down the stumps with the batsman about 2 inches short of taking it into a super over - RCB win by one run

RCB 64 runs off the last 18 to take them past 200 against Kings XI Punjab, ABV with some savage hitting.

Kings XI off to a flyer with Gayle and Rahul, smashing it all over the park at the minute.

Posters curse, Gayle holes out to ABV on the boundary off a slight miscue.

RCB win it handy at the death with a multitude of wickets in the critical last couple of overs with the run rate beginning to get a bit out of control, but still manageable(ish) if they hadn't holed out to ABV in the boundary for the second or third time. RCB are out if not mathematically, but this really dents KXIP's chances of the playoffs.

• Advertisement

Upcoming fixtures this extended weekend.

KKR v RR @Eden Gardens this afternoon / evening. RR have no chance of qualifying realistically, KKR still in the hunt, need to win this though.

l50Ljaa.png

Advertisement