Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling the grand canal

• 12-11-2017 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Thinking of cycling some of the grand canal (as a training spin, on account of there being no cars). Was thinking of doing about 40k out (out to around naas) and then turning around and doing 40k back, wondering whether it’s cycleable by road bike, and whether people would recommend it (as a quiet long spin, not for anything above moderate intensity). Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055943815/1/#post66469289

Multiple threads about it. Here’s one.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Pbreath wrote: »
    Thinking of cycling some of the grand canal (as a training spin, on account of there being no cars). Was thinking of doing about 40k out (out to around naas) and then turning around and doing 40k back, wondering whether it’s cycleable by road bike, and whether people would recommend it (as a quiet long spin, not for anything above moderate intensity). Thanks in advance

It's doable in sections by road bike, but at least two sections, between Lucan and Hazelhatch Bridge and then the last section before Sallins are very muddy and rocky and basically, not doable by road bike.

You have to find ways around those parts, fortunately there are some very nice quiet roads, notably 'Arthur's Way' in the area. Arthur's%20Way%20map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

From Inchicore to Adamstown is tarmac.
    From Adamstown to Hazelhatch is grass, waterlogged and very marshy in patches. Its about 5km and unless its dry is hard going and a good workout in terms of rolling resistance and balance.
    From Hazelhatch to past Ardclough (junction of Kill-Straffan road) is tight gravel and tramac. That section is doable on roadbike.
    From there to Sallins is grassy and waterlogged. For me it is the toughest section on the entire canal. 6km and even in summer it is marshy.

Most road-bike tyres wont get traction also the clearance will not work with mud and grass.
    After Adamstown you really need a CX or MTB type tyres and clearance.

Lovely cycle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mi16

^^^ well said guanciale!

I can echo this as I recently did Dublin to Tullamore on a hardtail MTB. The grass sections are far too soft for a road bike, even in summer I wouldn't say it's doable!

The Royal is similar with a track only out as far as Blanch/Coolmine iirc.

Another option if you're looking someplace car-free would be the Athlone-Mullingar greenway. Straight, flat and 40k each way..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a commuting question, where the canal hits the luas line out to the park west section, can you use the cycle path when its dark (winter evenings)? does the section have lights?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Yes cycle lane along canal from Blackhorse Luas to Parkwest is reasonably lit -and there is often other cyclists and walkers.

I have never had a problem in years -- except hot friday summer evenings. The whole barge pub scene is replicated at every lock along the canal.. And its fierce funny for them to hassle a cyclist - sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

G-Man wrote: »
    Yes cycle lane along canal from Blackhorse Luas to Parkwest is reasonably lit -and there is often other cyclists and walkers.

I have never had a problem in years -- except hot friday summer evenings. The whole barge pub scene is replicated at every lock along the canal.. And its fierce funny for them to hassle a cyclist - sorry about that.

cheers and i'd imagine they aint the office worker or student set :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ah now - easy on the stereotype, but it was not good sometimes..

- I would say if walked through the barge pub set and asked them to clean up, dont make noise etc, you would get some hassle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

Cycled the Grand from Lucan 12th lock to Shannon Harbour Co. Offaly y'day.
    the spin was part of a new 300 Audax (in progress) doing the above part then crossing over to the Athlone -Mullingar greenway and back to Dublin via the Royal canal.
    official start is the Phoenix park, i was collected at Lucan.

this was tough!!, i did it on a heavy hardtail MTB (35-38c tyres), others had lighter CX/gravel bikes

it would be very difficult on a road bike especially the Grand part and i wouldn't recommend it on such. its mainly rough track /grass with some fine gravel and a few tarmac sections. we had to divert due to works near the end but got back on the canal to finish the Grand section at Shannon Harbour

i had planned to finish at the halfway point, fathers day duties etc, and i was really whacked at this point anyway.
    two others completed the 300+ back to Dublin( major Kudos to them) and said the second half is much more doable with the greenwaying of the Royal, as is being monitored here on the Royal canal thread.
    one other left the Grand section early and made his way over to the Royal and still ended up with 200Km (Kudos), a bit like the Long Heron Audax.

later in the summer i'll jump on the Royal at Louisa Bridge (local to me) and do the second half in reverse.

Doing the whole 300+ is a real test..have fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Very interesting.

• Advertisement

Well Done !

IS the kildare part outside dublin the worst of it along the Grand Canal , rough grass I remember..
    I think there are proper paths the rest of the way along the Grand Canal. Of course many are gravel only, so no good for road bike.

The 300 in 2 days would make a great way of getting short stay and residents themselves to do cycling over a weekend - it would revive many a midland village, which have very little tourism potential otherwise.. They could easily provide short routes as well. ... Say Edenderry to Enfield along old railway.. Or Tullamore/Ballycommon to Kilbeggan and lough ennel also.

I read somewhere that kildare co/co only supported the royal canal as they said it connected more urban areas.. But its the two together that make a great cycle..

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

yes its pretty tough until about Ardclough near the Lyons estate, but many sections are just rough track and grass, the paths (tarmaced sections are kinda rare!!) and around Tullamore there are more proper greenway type paths.
    but as i said the Grand isn't suitable for road bikes, (as a whole, except for the dublin bits prob.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are there any plans to improve the Grand Canal track?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

loyatemu wrote: »

There are plans in Offaly, how long it will take to complete is anyone's guess

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/304696/offaly-county-council-unveil-plan-for-32km-greenway-on-the-canal.html

http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Planning/News/Grand-Canal-Greenway-Planning-Report-280318-pdf.pdf

I'm not aware of much being done in Kildare on the Shannon bound part of the Grand but there is a plan for the Barrow line known as the Barrow Blueway which is currently the subject of a very contentious planning battle, the canal part has PP but the river section was refused, which has been appealed to ABP by Waterways Ireland

http://kfmradio.com/news/23022018-0751/permission-granted-kildare-barrow-blueway-project

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/barrow-towpath-plans

http://www.savethebarrowline.com/news/default.html

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

loyatemu wrote: »

I've been on to Local councilor and a TD in Sallins re the stretch from Sallins to Ardclough and the last stretch from Hazelhatch to Adamstown.

The emailed me with some sort of case reference that had been opened with Kildare Co Council. Checked high and low on that website but could never find any update or any reference to the case reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

To Alcohol wrote: »
    I've been on to Local councilor and a TD in Sallins re the stretch from Sallins to Ardclough and the last stretch from Hazelhatch to Adamstown.

The emailed me with some sort of case reference that had been opened with Kildare Co Council. Checked high and low on that website but could never find any update or any reference to the case reference.

Adamstown to hazelhatch would be great to have done. At the moment it is passable on a CX bike but in winter not a chance.

The alternative road route via peamont isn't too bad if you avoid it at peak commute times.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

Hazelhatch to Adamstown is mostly within the South Dublin County Council area. It might be an idea to check there for updates

The original funding was only as far as Adamstown. It was the ESB who wanted to bury a cable to the new Grangecastle industry parks from the inchicore substations..

Just goes to show how much cycling is depending on random funding from others.

Hazelhatch to Adamstown is nearly the worst stretch would mean so much - its train station, it also is a link to Celbridge town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

nilhg wrote: »
    There are plans in Offaly, how long it will take to complete is anyone's guess

https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/304696/offaly-county-council-unveil-plan-for-32km-greenway-on-the-canal.html

http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Planning/News/Grand-Canal-Greenway-Planning-Report-280318-pdf.pdf

I'm not aware of much being done in Kildare on the Shannon bound part of the Grand but there is a plan for the Barrow line known as the Barrow Blueway which is currently the subject of a very contentious planning battle, the canal part has PP but the river section was refused, which has been appealed to ABP by Waterways Ireland

http://kfmradio.com/news/23022018-0751/permission-granted-kildare-barrow-blueway-project

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/barrow-towpath-plans

http://www.savethebarrowline.com/news/default.html

First signs of something stirring in Kildare,

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/kcc-talks-extend-grand-canal-greenway-south-kildare/232484

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

Hi all, is this route (Dublin to Shannon Harbour) possible on a hybrid bike at this time of year?
    Thanks,
    ftc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 mi16

Hi all, is this route (Dublin to Shannon Harbour) possible on a hybrid bike at this time of year?
    Thanks,
    ftc

I would think sections on grass would still be doable on a hybrid at this time of year. Don't underestimate how much tougher it is cycling on the unpaved sections though + you could get a nice westerly headwind punishing you too.

I did Dublin to Tullamore last November on a hardtail MTB and found it very tough. And I do a lot of road cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Thanks,
    ftc

I did dublin to sallins on a gravel bike with very wide tyres (47 mm) last week but I'd say it would be well doable on a hybrid. Not necessarily comfortable or ideal, but doable. There is a reasonable amount of grass but as it doesn't seem to get much traffic and we haven't had too much rain there aren't that many muddy parts.

Hope to do more past sallins tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

a148pro wrote: »
    I did dublin to sallins on a gravel bike with very wide tyres (47 mm) last week but I'd say it would be well doable on a hybrid. Not necessarily comfortable or ideal, but doable. There is a reasonable amount of grass but as it doesn't seem to get much traffic and we haven't had too much rain there aren't that many muddy parts.

Hope to do more past sallins tomorrow.

I tried Straffan to Sallins recently and gave up after 1km... it is doable but not enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Both canals are well served by trains, one could cycle west and train east kind of thing, for people uninterested or unable for a big loop or out-and-back.

Did shannon harbour back to tullamore, reasonably tough going west of pollagh even on 47mm tyres. It would certainly be doable on a hybrid but would involve several sections of several miles on reasonably long grass. Also some long sections of unpleasant bumpy stone paths. If it came at the end of a long cycle, heading west, would be pretty challenging. Long lengths of clay path also but very little wet mud thus far.

Tullamore to pollagh was good surface the whole way.

Will have to come back for the middle bit!

Yes quite doable by train, inter city stops at tullamore and sallins, commuters may stop at more

Whatever lads managed the 360km audax over both canals in one day deserve some kind of award

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Has anyone come up from Athy to the Grand Canal on a bike?

Has anyone come up from Athy to the Grand Canal on a bike?

That's next on list - as in the full barrow way. I gather from the book that encouraged me into doing these in the first place, that of the 3 routes, barrow is the hardest going, though not sure if that covers the portion you described. As I understand it there is one stretch that is gritted, the rest is grass so it can be tough after rain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks,
    ftc

I've done city centre to Digby's bridge and back quite a number of times at this time of year on a hybrid with CX tyres. Only concern at present would be the reports of attacks by scumbags at Bluebell which has kept me away from this route for some time now. In terms of bike, it comes down to the tyres and how much mud you're willing to put up with. Also much slower and more tiring when its been wet, which will affect the distance you're likely to cover. Fantastic craic at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

smacl wrote: »
    I've done city centre to Digby's bridge and back quite a number of times at this time of year on a hybrid with CX tyres. Only concern at present would be the reports of attacks by scumbags at Bluebell which has kept me away from this route for some time now. In terms of bike, it comes down to the tyres and how much mud you're willing to put up with. Also much slower and more tiring when its been wet, which will affect the distance you're likely to cover. Fantastic craic at the same time.

I recently did Edenderry to Daingean and back, 41 tyres, tough slog alright, doable on a hybrid for sure but be prepared to go slow slow slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

a148pro wrote: »
    Did shannon harbour back to tullamore, reasonably tough going west of pollagh even on 47mm tyres. It would certainly be doable on a hybrid but would involve several sections of several miles on reasonably long grass. Also some long sections of unpleasant bumpy stone paths. If it came at the end of a long cycle, heading west, would be pretty challenging. Long lengths of clay path also but very little wet mud thus far.

Tullamore to pollagh was good surface the whole way.

Will have to come back for the middle bit!

Yes quite doable by train, inter city stops at tullamore and sallins, commuters may stop at more

Whatever lads managed the 360km audax over both canals in one day deserve some kind of award

never realised that that Pollagh to Tullamore was paved, that must be a 20 km stretch right ?

Advertisement