Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

• 03-09-2017 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭

Edit: Hi guys, since Newstalk drive has ended, all discussion of the replacement show should now go into this thread. I'm going to close the Newstalk Drive thread and move the relevant posts over here.

Usual Radio Forum and boards.ie rules apply

delaad wrote: »
    Yates' show is to be called The Hard Shoulder?

Trust thats not a hostage to fortune.

im amazed he manged to resist the urge to call it "the hard neck"

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

im amazed he manged to resist the urge to call it "the hard neck"

Or "The Bad Back"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well hes on now and ive managed to stick with it which is more than i can say for the aul drive show.

getting a right laugh out of the bit he's doing at the mo on drinking and the amount you can have .

fessed up to doing 70 units a week himself !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Checked in on Newstalk TV. He seems to be alternating between sitting, standing at the desk and kneeling in front of it. Back must be in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Fayre

I just tuned in and Ivan Yates isn't presenting, where did he go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fayre wrote: »
    I just tuned in and Ivan Yates isn't presenting, where did he go?

He was but is it just dead air for everyone now? And we're back.

• Advertisement

ha !

whats the combined age of these lads ?

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm not getting a video feed online.

im curled up at this.

Bras !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Ah Hook again. I cant imagine he will ever retire. He needs the attention like a reality tv star.

I would love if Ivan brought up the vaccines.

"most people in ireland dont know canada exists"

eh drennan, half the country that wasnt as connected as you and your mates emmigrated there in the last 10yrs.

every granny in the country is sending cash there to grandkids theyll never see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Drennan is back. How does this fella get work at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Jaysus George is even worse as a guest. I half expect him to accuse Varadkar of cowardice because he didnt fight the Nazis in WW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Jaysus George is even worse as a guest. I half expect him to accuse Varadkar of cowardice because he didnt fight the Nazis in WW2
    It's tedious stuff, jesus if wanted to listen to hook I'd get a lobotomy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Terrible show name but thank god the assault on the ears that was Chris and Sarah will never be heard again. Ivan is much better on his own as well, no need for a sidekick.

I have never watched the live video stream before. Ivan's theatrics are very entertaining.

Great start. The show has flown by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I have never watched the live video stream before. Ivan's theatrics are very entertaining.

Great start. The show has flown by.

Yes. Great change from the 2 amateurs he took over from. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He really seems to appeal to that boring, grumpy old man demographic. Genuinely hope someone kills me before I reach middle-age.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Five Green Bottles

Light hearted yet serious and well presented, no need for ear protectors from the fowl female screech of the disagreement whine. Hard to picture Ivan and George at electric picnic but at least they were open minded enough to go,
    Hope the show proceeds as well as today definitely a much more enjoyable experience, The hard neck is a definite option

RayM wrote: »
    He really seems to appeal to that boring, grumpy old man demographic. Genuinely hope someone kills me before I reach middle-age.

I am 32.

Perhaps employment might brighten your mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Really enjoyed the show today, it was informative, light-hearted and flowed seamlessly. Like him or not Ivan has a certain charisma that serves him well in this capacity. I always liked him on the morning show and I'm delighted he's back. I stopped listening when Chris and Sarah took the slot, it was just awful from day 1. I'll be tuning in every day on the drive home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I am 32.

Perhaps employment might brighten your mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Surprised to hear that they have an item with Hook on every Monday. Did he not leave The Right Hook because he got sick of getting home late...??

Overall the show was good. Yates is just very interesting to listen to, simple as that. And unlike the other Newstalk broadcasters, he never comes across as preachy or subjective... His questions are asked in a disassociated, jocose manner... almost as if they are asked in the third person, like he's just reading out provocative questions from the callers.

Surprised to hear that they have an item with Hook on every Monday. Did he not leave The Right Hook because he got sick of getting home late...??

Overall the show was good. Yates is just very interesting to listen to, simple as that. And unlike the other Newstalk broadcasters, he never comes across as preachy or subjective... His questions are asked in a disassociated, jocose manner... almost as if they are asked in the third person, like he's just reading out provocative questions from the callers.

That's probably the most accurate and honest review of today's show that I've read, the fact is that he's incredibly interesting, inoffensive in questioning and very well rounded in most subjects, if he's not up to speed he has a talent of asking the right questions without showing it. It was a superb first day, hope it continues.

However I do think Chris is equally as talented, but he was carrying way too heavy load with his co presenter and I hope that that hasn't destroyed him in his chances of becoming an anchor with his own prime time show. If NT don't do it RTÉ probably will sometime soon and maybe not on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

However I do think Chris is equally as talented.

He was insufferable. But he's six foot three, a fact he shoe horned in to as many shows as possible.

However I do think Chris is equally as talented.

He was insufferable. But he's six foot three, a fact he shoe horned in to as many shows as possible.

Clearly I disagree with you, but respect your opinion, Yeats ran like a cat doused on petrol when his **** hit the fan. Therefore people will refer to his show as "the hard Neck" satire will have fun with that too.
    Chris on the other hand fought a far greater battle and probably fought it uphill and the outcome is that he has a lot more stronger and much rounded character,

Which one would you rather stuck in the Texas flood today with ? Who'd help you out of the water? Who'd leave you behind?

Yeats like the even money horse has form and isn't afraid to show it, unfortunately Chris became the outsider because he was carrying way too much novice weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This evening's show was entertaining enough but if Ivan continues with this faux-laddish attitude it will become very tiresome very quickly. Chris might have had his critics (and deservedly so at times), but he was the necessary foil to Ivan's forced oafishness on Newstalk Breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I listened to the first 2 hours yesterday. I found it to be a very shaky start TBH, reminiscent of the very earliest days of Newstalk. Ivan seemed almost nervous in the first half an hour, lots of mumbling, missing an ad break (or perhaps it was a news break?) cue very badly, some "awkward" segments (playing The Sunday Game theme twice in the first 75mins and repeating that segment), and some boorish oafishness and Lord of The Manor nonsense (the repeated referencing of his place in the Sky Sports Box in Croke Park - "as you do") etc. I had my fears that on his own it would be too much, and from yesterday's show, I fear that may be the reality.....and I say this as someone who used to listen to Breakfast with Ivan and Chris as my main morning show. There's something about him lately where I feel the underlying "can you believe I'm getting away with this sh*t?" tone in his voice is becoming more obvious.

I'll give it more time before I make my mind up, but I found it a weak start tbh.

I genuinely never heard him say this, but as someone who is taller and has been in his presence, I think in that classic Irish way, Chris must have gotten his Mammy to measure him....or he measured himself. He's not that tall.

Not sure why it's up for discussion but I would have said taller. I'd be amazed if he wasn't at least 6'3. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but I enjoyed the new show on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Not sure why it's up for discussion but I would have said taller. I'd be amazed if he wasn't at least 6'3. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but I enjoyed the new show on Sunday.

There's this "thing" in Ireland I find where most men think, say, or convince themselves they're 6 feet tall. They're not, not even close - and this is borne out statistically. I've posted on this more than once in other fora. I think it's part of the male psyche that being able to say you're "exactly 6feet tall" is attractive to women.

Here's an example of a conversation I've had more than once in my lifetime:
    Randomer: What height are you? You must be 6'9" because I'm 6'2".
    Me (shaking head): (under my breath) Here we go again.....I'm 6'6.5"
    Randomer: No you must be taller because I measured myself
    Or my own favourite
    Randomer: No you must be taller because my mammy measured me (This from a grown adult male btw)
    Me: Ok, well that's a reliable source isn't it?

That's not unique to me I assure you. If you talk to anyone who's significantly above-average in height I can pretty much guarantee they've had a version of the above conversation at some point in their lives, or more likely regularly.

When I was younger I played sport at elite level in a sport where height would be seen as an important physical attribute. I was measured regularly by sports scientists (Note: not my manny or by myself). I'm 6'6.5".

I've been in the same room as Chris. He's not 6'3". Not unless he wears Bono heels OR if he's using either the mammy or self-measurement system.

As for why it's up for discussion, I was simply replying to someone saying he drops it into conversation all the time, but I've never heard him say it myself.

We're way off topic now!

Advertisement