Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

getting entry job for linux/unix

• 25-06-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I always liked linux moto of open source and do dabble into unix to learn some new stuff everyday, anyway recently got lpic-1 cert which is minimum basic and could do some admin jobs like managing accounts users, but without proper experience in the field its hard to even think to study for higher exams, since to sit at root for server side id only imagine one would gain enough experience to get certified once exposed to it daily and being able to learn from someone who knows how and why,and not theoretical guessing.

So question how does one land entry unix position job,since by the looks most places offer 50-70k and imagine thats for know all ins and out of every server,cli or switch/config that might need to be implemented on large scale.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

I'd love a job of installing GNU/Linux onto computers. What a dream job that'd be.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Find an advertised job you'd like and look at the requirements... that's what you'll need to at least study and have a basic knowledge of.
    I doubt anyone will hire someone for on the job training.

But the good news is, today with usable VMs available, anyone can create a large network on systems to experiment & learn on. Once upon a time you'd have required a large number of physical machines just to practice! Plus most of the tools used are freely available to install today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

thx mod, should phrased better as what minimum requirements would be needed for entry positions these days for admin roles on unix since cert software range varies a good bit and a lot of choices/paths.VM's do really help to learn nowadays.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

@scamalert, if you haven't already you should ask in the unix forums you might find more people working in that area. Also there is an Irish Linux user group ILUG ... their website seems to be down but I think I still get emails from the mailing list. And, I just see now there is a google group for them

It might be worth posting there too to get a more detailed answer.

Advertisement