Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last cut of the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

beertons wrote: »
    Raging I didn't get out to top the lawn today. Too busy with the dinner.

I did mine in pouring rain on 21st December, I’ll do it again later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I done mine today it took ages as it was very wet and really long but looks so good and tidy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you're cutting today, maybe it's the 1st cut of the year rather than the last?

Depends which way you look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

NIMAN wrote: »
    If you're cutting today, maybe it's the 1st cut of the year rather than the last?

Depends which way you look at it!

Today!!! Actually started it when I came home from work at 8am.... I love pissing off the neighbours...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

My neighbors were cutting away last Friday. That sound of lawnmower engines was all around. Spring was deffo in the air. Yesterday gloom n mist n it never got fully bright.
    Today it seems to be blowing a gale. The climate is surely changing .
    Happy cutting to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Had the ride -on on trickle charge for the winter, but got fresh petrol yesterday and cut the grass, emptied the box 3 times full and a bit. Grass full of moisture, tractor was a mess, power washed it and put it back on trickle charge. Needs a service now for the year ahead.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I did mine in pouring rain on 21st December, I’ll do it again later this week.

Did it on Wednesday and Friday it had grown a tiny bit in two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Grass probably does need a cut, but it's early days yet, still plenty of time for cold icy weather, I like to leave a bit of protection for the grass for that type of weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I nearly did the back garden yesterday - bone dry and quite lush. I'll give it trim later in the week.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Grass probably does need a cut, but it's early days yet, still plenty of time for cold icy weather, I like to leave a bit of protection for the grass for that type of weather

Doesn't need protecting, as long as you don't cut the same day as a hard frost.

That being said I have cut frosty grass before with no ill effects.

• Advertisement

I nearly did the back garden yesterday - bone dry and quite lush. I'll give it trim later in the week.

I nearly did my own the other day, was looking a bit long and it hadn't rained in quite a while.

I thought, "Ill do it tomorrow" and then it poured that night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just in for a break while cutting mine. Doubt I'll finish today but will get a good bit done which will help make it drier walking around the garden. Grass is very dry today (West Waterford).

I did a cut but someone else's garden (hey at least I get paid for that!), it was very green and thick, May grass not January.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Did it on Wednesday and Friday it had grown a tiny bit in two days.

It has already grown another half inch at least, think I’ll cut it again tomorrow or Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

I need a few cows in mine at this stage not a lawnmower :(

Temperatures of up to 14c this week.

Is it time to start up again for 2019, or just a temporary blip?

Maybe we need a First Cut of the Year Thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

I'm putting sheep into ours this week! :-) it's turned into meadow

Weather been great last two days.

Got a high cut done yesterday and just finished another cut at the next level down.

Looks a lot neater already.

Will get a weed n feed down in early March, weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Cut mine today filled 2 coal sacks - small lawn in back,tiny in the front- need a sheep

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Been removing moss and thatch with a rake the last while. Horrible task, lawns are too small to get a machine in and too big for a rake...

Plan is a high cut again soon and then another de-thatch, re-seed and leave for 4 weeks.

Getting rid of front lawns for wild meadows for a test run, Both are small and over run with moss, which doesn't take too long to rake/peel off. Will see how it goes and can always convert back to lawn next year if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Cut one side of the garden yesterday afternoon, great to get that fresh cut grass smell so early. Will cut the other side today, John deere started on first turn of the key after not being touched since october 😊

Another cut front and back today. The birds love a freshly cut lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I did my first cut today. I have a lot of moss patches. If I remove it. When is the best time to put seed down.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Late march is probably ideal. Your other option is to wait and treat with mo-bacter in May when temps are well up.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

Got the snapper out if hibernation today, great to get the first cut out of the way .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Done
    And was not pure torture due to the kind weather

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

is it no early to cut grass?

cena wrote: »

No. I haven’t stopped, four cuts in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

cena wrote: »

Cut it twice already and will need another run tomorrow

• Advertisement

Don't think it'll be the last cut, but I was able to get a cut done today with the first decent day in about a month up here!

Soil still very sodden, but that's understandable considering its basically rained every day for a month, often incredibly heavily.

Thing I noticed about lawns that haven't been cut in maybe 3 or so weeks, is that it looks like individual blades of grass before the cut, but once you cut it, it takes on a more solid mass of grass, almost moss like. Gone are the individual blades. But if you cut it every couple of days during good weather, it always looks like grass. Anyone else notice this, or is it just mine?

And I only topped it today, due to the fact that it was so high.

Hopefully we'll get a decent spell of dry weather over the next week or two so I can get at it more often.

Advertisement