Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fryup wrote: »
    each one individually :confused:

You've lost me!

A rake or use the bag on the mower.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't happen for me yesterday or today, too wet. Maybe tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Did mine yesterday. Probably the last one now, given the frost this morning. Still, you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Hopefully last cut was done today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Still got leaves to come down, so last cut not done yet. Temps hitting over 10 degrees here so grass still growing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

We cut ours today so expecting it to be last cut as ground gets quite soggy in winter. Grass usually doesn't grow much more however I think it was last year that was unreal mild + We had to keep cutting it in Dec. Even the roses were still coming out to bloom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering, guy next door going around now a few days on mower. I havent cut my grass in weeks and it hasn't grown....

He does get paid each year to cut the grass around the estate, is he just trying to show he is working still or why would he do it?

I do notice the whole green area is just moss and f**k all grass, would this be the cause of it?

I topped my lawn this evening, not a whole lot of growth left I'd think. It took up a few of the recently fallen leaves too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just wondering, guy next door going around now a few days on mower. I havent cut my grass in weeks and it hasn't grown....

He does get paid each year to cut the grass around the estate, is he just trying to show he is working still or why would he do it?

I do notice the whole green area is just moss and f**k all grass, would this be the cause of it?

He may be paid for X number of cuts a year so if he doesn't cut he doesn't get paid. I've been out after dark with a torch in October cutting grass working for a contractor just because they were contracted for X number of cuts a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

my3cents wrote: »
    He may be paid for X number of cuts a year so if he doesn't cut he doesn't get paid. I've been out after dark with a torch in October cutting grass working for a contractor just because they were contracted for X number of cuts a year.

I dont remember but Misses was saying he was looking for extra earlier on in year as he cuts late into the year.....expect to see him trying to up costs next year for the December cutting :P:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I cut my back lawn this evening, expecting that to be the last of the year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First cut of the season! last cut was November so five months and probably because of the extended cold temps it was still very manageable. Feels good to have got one done - must mean spring is finally here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

First one today to. Felt good giving the dandylions a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

We did ours yesterday evening ! Great to get out again and it wasn't a complete meadow unlike previous years ��

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My first was a couple of weeks ago, just very high to take top off.

Then a week later put on some 3-in-1 feed, as it was very pale looking (admittedly all the gardens I have seen locally look terrible).

Mine has greened up a good bit already, can see scope for another trim this coming week.

So just spent a few hours in and around the gardens.

Lot of leaves had to be cleared as it's been pretty windy up here in Donegal the last few days. Although I probably wasted my time once this next storm comes on Friday I'll have to do it all again.

Also got a cut done. It was the first in a few weeks due to the wet weather, but it was a gorgeous day up here today, so got a rattle at ir. Can't see it being the last of the season, as it's exceptionally mild.

https://flic.kr/p/299vMtw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First cut of the season! last cut was November so five months and probably because of the extended cold temps it was still very manageable. Feels good to have got one done - must mean spring is finally here!

Heh, could I have forseen how few cuts I would make this year. Did it today after several dry days.

Lawns cut this afternoon, mild weather drawing out the growth another few weeks.

How long does it take to cut that? Have you the same out the front?

beertons wrote: »
    How long does it take to cut that? Have you the same out the front?

Assume that's a question to me?

It takes about 45mins, it used to be less but I traded in the ride-on for a push mower recently. So there's more emptying to do.

The front is thankfully a fair bit smaller!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

NIMAN wrote: »
    Assume that's a question to me?

It takes about 45mins, it used to be less but I traded in the ride-on for a push mower recently. So there's more emptying to do.

The front is thankfully a fair bit smaller!

What are you using for clearing the leaves?

Lawn mower is pretty good at gathering leaves. I have a Honda with a double blade so it cuts them up fine but the bag fills really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Last cut of the year!?, OMG I CANT WAIT, this is going to be awesome, can someone please let nature know!

Lawn mower is pretty good at gathering leaves. I have a Honda with a double blade so it cuts them up fine but the bag fills really quickly.

Yeah mostly lawnmower for me too.

Although I sometimes blow them roughly to an area, rake them up and dump them in a ditch. Then mow over what remains.

I expect the gardens to be full of leaves again tomorrow after Callum, the git.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Leaves and coffee grinds lads. Best compost there is. Make coffee, mow leaves so they get cut up and put them in a composting bin, drink some more coffee, drink even more coffee, top up the bin with the spent coffee grinds and then drink more coffee. Come next year you'll have yourself some nitrogen rich brown gold for the garden.

Cut mine yesterday. Frost promised so it may be thel last one

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭staples7

Cut late yesterday evening, first time since the dry spell I've noticed a significant slow down. Selling the ride on this weekend and taking a punt on a robot for the new season :)

May need a few manual cuts in-between but its exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cut yesterday as well, cleaned mower deck put away for winter storage hopefully thats it till...valentines day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

hope to cut ours this weekend... but last year the last cut was the first week of December so it will be cut twice in November more than likely.

• Advertisement

Wishful thinking����

Advertisement