Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couple with six children killed in Palestine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

No
    In what way did he demonise anyone for being an Israeli Jew?

And furthermore, care to respond to the settler / Israeli distinction?

If you won't make such a distinction, please explain your reasons.

It was a vague comment. He accused the Israelis of murdering a woman for simply being a non Jew. In other words he is demonising the Jews for murdering people who simply aren't Jewish. I didn't want to let that comment slide.

The settlers are moving to these regions for economic reasons. Most have jobs in these regions. Housing is also cheaper in these areas and many families decide to move to a bigger place. If you want to criticise this policy the fine. You say it is for the sole purpose to settle Isrealis in these regions. I say these houses are needed for an expanding population. 160,000 extra people in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It was a vague comment. He accused the Israelis of murdering a woman for simply being a non Jew. In other words he is demonising the Jews for murdering people who simply aren't Jewish. I didn't want to let that comment slide.

The settlers are moving to these regions for economic reasons. Most have jobs in these regions. Housing is also cheaper in these areas and many families decide to move to a bigger place. If you want to criticise this policy the fine. You say it is for the sole purpose to settle Isrealis in these regions. I say these houses are needed for an expanding population. 160,000 extra people in 2014.

So they're only colonising because they have an expanding population.....O grand. That makes everything just rosy.

Eugene Normans post contains nothing anti-Semitic and it would have behoved you better to admit that no post existed than try to blacken his name with that nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable with it happening in front of the children, but after that, no, I'm not pushed. They're colonists, they're in an occupied zone.
    Not comfortable? For fúck's sake. :rolleyes:

Oh I am no cheerleader for Israeli hypocrisy. Israel's dealings with the Palestinians and their lands has been akin to a bully using a kids own fists to punch him, while repeating "stop punching yourself". It's been a plantation of European settlers on Arab lands, backed by bibles and bullets and bullshít. In Ireland we know all about that kinda plantation and the shíte it brings with it. TBH I'd have much more respect for the Israeli culture if they just came out and admitted all that.

On the other hand I admire their pluck and sheer force of will. Coming out of a human disaster, a polyglot of people, with little enough commonality but for being Jews, packed like ballast on a ragtag fleet of boats coming from a destroyed Europe that in utter madness had sought to wipe out its own. And from against near constant attack that they built a modern western nation in a thin strip of rocky land that if had ever been a land of milk and honey that time had long passed.

Somebody on some side has to stand up and go "fúck this shíte, let's move forward, let's isolate the fundis and move forward together". One helluva hard sell as our own country has shown. A century after 1916 and you still have the "it's all de Britz fault, the bastards".

TL;DR? People can be dumb cúnts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Thank you for your comment.

Now everyone can see how you view the situation.
    And thank you for your comment.

Now everyone can see that you have said they can see his view of the situation.

No sympathy for the Palestinians when they elect Islamic terror organisations like Hamas into power.
    If only they'd voted for a Jewish terror organisation instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wibbs wrote: »
    with little enough commonality but for being Jews

I'm sorry but that's where you lose me.

'little enough commonality'?

Has there ever been, in modern times; another group with a 'commonality' that has ever been given the free reign and saddle too, to do what they want with those they have chosen to move in beside?

It's easy to say that others should move forward when you can get away with bulldozing those in front of you

Somebody on some side has to stand up and go "fúck this shíte, let's move forward, let's isolate the fundis and move forward together". One helluva hard sell as our own country has shown. A century after 1916 and you still have the "it's all de Britz fault, the bastards".

This seems to imagine a situation where both sides suffer to some degree of equality, decide its not worth it, and agree to try and reach a resolution. In the Palestinian-Israeli case, the suffering is immensely on one side. As a result, putting up with the low level of casualties and losses incurred is seen as a payable price when viewed against the slow but inevitable taking of the West Bank, Golan and Arab East Jerusalem. Thus, no peace will be forthcoming, because the side with the whip hand see no need for it, and, in purely pragmatic terms, have no need for it. What we are seeing here is not Northern Ireland 1968 on, but the plantation, sowing its seeds of sectarianism and hate for centuries to come.

And from against near constant attack that they built a modern western nation in a thin strip of rocky land that if had ever been a land of milk and honey that time had long passed.
    Yeah, what a ****hole that place is. No wonder the people who were already living there are so glad the Jews stole their land off them and herded them into concentration camps for more convenient bombing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Their has been increased tensions between Israeli's and Palestinians in the West Bank lately. No doubt this is due to the lack of political will by the United Nations to help resolve the issues at the heart of the conflict, namely Jerusalem becoming a free city for Israeli's and Palestinians and returning the Golan Heights to Syria as in Netanyahu's recent speech at the UN he mentioned disturbances on the Israeli Syrian border.

A photograph of the knife can be seen here.
    The Jerusalem Post? You may as well be quoting The Big Book of Brother's Grimm Fairy Tales TBH.
    You can spot the sort a mile off when that's the source of their "facts".

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Yeah, what a ****hole that place is. No wonder the people who were already living there are so glad the Jews stole their land off them and herded them into concentration camps for more convenient bombing.

Bit odd that - according to the British and American survey of 1946 - the area was a net exporter of agricultural produce, the majority coming from Palestinian owned land and farmers. Evidently they didn't get forwarded the e-mail about the milk and honey.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Their has been increased tensions between Israeli's and Palestinians in the West Bank lately. No doubt this is due to the lack of political will by the United Nations to help resolve the issues at the heart of the conflict, namely Jerusalem becoming a free city for Israeli's and Palestinians and returning the Golan Heights to Syria as in Netanyahu's recent speech at the UN he mentioned disturbances on the Israeli Syrian border.

The united nations can do nothing as its blocked by a UNSC veto.

The united nations can do nothing as its blocked by a UNSC veto.
    Read "Because the US will put up with any sh1t Israel tells them to."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Read "Because the US will put up with any sh1t Israel tells them to."

China, Russia, France & Britain are on the Security Council. They could bring this up at a senior level to discuss taking down the walls that separate the opposing sides. It is getting tiresome the same process of Palestinian under 20's throwing stones at Israeli security forces and the world responding with meh.:mad:

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    China, Russia, France & Britain are on the Security Council. They could bring this up at a senior level to discuss taking down the walls that separate the opposing sides. It is getting tiresome the same process of Palestinian under 20's throwing stones at Israeli security forces and the world responding with meh.:mad:
    Basically the UN is a waffle shop and the Security Council makes the decisions. Including "let's do nothing" when one of them vetoes whatever it is that would go against their interests.
    It's a sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

No
    She was a terrorist.

The only sad aspect is that they shot her. Far too quick.

That kind of strident language is not helpful to peace.

I believe it's sad than an 18-year-old felt she had something to gain by trying to stab a soldier.

I wish she had been detained, and sentenced to jail.

Perhaps she had been indoctrinated by children's television in Gaza, which encourages children to “grow up... and shoot all the Jews”.

Either way, nothing is gained by rejoicing over other people's deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

No
    Amirani wrote: »
    Anyone who defends the murder of 2 civilians in front of their kids is a scumbag, regardless of your position on the Israel/Palestine situation.

I agree.

The people here who have defended the murders of these two people, in front of their infant child, are revolting.

Honestly, they make me want to throw up. Words can't express how little I think of them.

I'm glad they have said it, though, in a somewhat public forum.

There is now a permanent record of it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Whatabout...whatabout...whatabout....

Was whataboutery your word of the day and were you on a commission for saying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Not comfortable? For fúck's sake. :rolleyes:

Oh I am no cheerleader for Israeli hypocrisy. Israel's dealings with the Palestinians and their lands has been akin to a bully using a kids own fists to punch him, while repeating "stop punching yourself". It's been a plantation of European settlers on Arab lands, backed by bibles and bullets and bullshít. In Ireland we know all about that kinda plantation and the shíte it brings with it. TBH I'd have much more respect for the Israeli culture if they just came out and admitted all that.

On the other hand I admire their pluck and sheer force of will. Coming out of a human disaster, a polyglot of people, with little enough commonality but for being Jews, packed like ballast on a ragtag fleet of boats coming from a destroyed Europe that in utter madness had sought to wipe out its own. And from against near constant attack that they built a modern western nation in a thin strip of rocky land that if had ever been a land of milk and honey that time had long passed.

tbh I don't see why people call the wall around Israel a terrible thing. It should be twenty feet thick and a hundred feet high. Really that's the only way to get peace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Has there ever been, in modern times; another group with a 'commonality' that has ever been given the free reign and saddle too, to do what they want with those they have chosen to move in beside?

Yes, during the postwar population transfers in Eastern Europe. Polish land given to Ukrainians; German land given to Poles; Lithuanian land given to Belarus; millions of peasants kicked off their farms and told to walk to a 'homeland' a thousand miles away. They managed to move on and construct viable societies

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's easy to say that others should move forward when you can get away with bulldozing those in front of you
    Eh… you really need to read about the shíte that jewish Europeans put up with. Oh and Germany was the least of it. At first. If you were drawing lots to work out which European nation would go full genocide on Jews, Germany would have been well down the list. That's why they had to cobble the blood laws together, as so many German folks were Jewish by marriage.
    Hysterical BS, with some hint of truth, but a major over reaction to said hint.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That sounds like anti-Semitism to me. Could you link to the posts where this occurred?
    Well you said you don't like people invading a country and rounding up the locals into a tiny prison camp forever.
    That means you are a JEW HATER. Am I right? Am I right?

goose2005 wrote: »
    tbh I don't see why people call the wall around Israel a terrible thing. It should be twenty feet thick and a hundred feet high. Really that's the only way to get peace
    Pity they couldn't build the wall on their own land isn't it? Or even stick to where it is now it's up.

I'm glad they have said it, though, in a somewhat public forum.

There is now a permanent record of it online.
    JFC get over yourself. It's only you and your Zionist Jerusalem Post loving mates who think anyone gives a monkey's.

You say it is for the sole purpose to settle Isrealis in these regions. I say these houses are needed for an expanding population. 160,000 extra people in 2014.
    Bit crowded in Dublin lately. Time to invade some random country and kick out the locals, yes? We need them you see.

Hysterical BS, with some hint of truth, but a major over reaction to said hint.
    More or less hysterical than the post I replied to making out the people who stole the land Israel is built on are some kind of heroes deserving our applause?
    I see you're the type that calls something "BS" but isn't actually able to say why. Almost as if you're simply not capable of doing so isn't it.

Eh… you really need to read about the shíte that jewish Europeans put up with.
    Because once you know the history of the Jewish people, you'll realise stealing land and forcing hundreds of thousands of refugees into a permanent prison camp is a good thing?!?!
    What about those Mongols/zombies/velociraptors, eh? Zionists aren't as bad as those guys either are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

He was not demonising "the Jews", he was demonising a couple of specific Israelis for their actions. I'm condemning scumbags in another thread on AH tonight, does that mean I'm condemning everyone in Dublin including myself...?

All of that is irrelevant - Israel took the land by force from people who already owned it, which is illegal under international law.

What if I stole a woman's handbag for economic reasons, or broke into a house in England and moved the existing family out at gunpoint because "it's close to work" for me?

Are you honestly arguing that theft is ok so long as somebody has a good reason for doing it? Property rights are property rights. Stealing somebody's land by the force of a military power is illegal and evil. I don't give a bollocks why they did it - the border of Israel, already taking a large chunk of Palestinian land, was agreed by the UN in 1949. Every square centimetre outside this agreed line which has been colonised by the Israelis using military force is stolen land. It doesn't belong to Israel. They have the right to do only one thing with that land, and that is to get the f*ck off it, apologise to those they took it from, and stop treating their border as if it's an optional inconvenience.

Until this happens, I regard every incident that happens over there as ultimately the fault of the Israeli government. What they are doing is exact what the Brits tried to do in Ireland. Those defending settlements would, I presume, also oppose Irish independence? Those defending the IDF would presumably support the Black and Tans? I see absolutely no distinction between the two.

Israel does not legitimately own the West Bank or East Jerusalem. Taking land by force and calling one's country a civilised democracy are mutually exclusive. Taking land by force and presuming to identify with the modern, free world are mutually exclusive.

Israel needs to pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

goose2005 wrote: »

The wall does not follow the Israeli border. Sections of it are built on land where Israel has no jurisdiction to authorise construction of anything

Resolve that and then maybe we can talk about a defensive wall. The current wall is not defensive, it's just another tool of theft.

• Advertisement

That kind of strident language is not helpful to peace.

I believe it's sad than an 18-year-old felt she had something to gain by trying to stab a soldier.

I wish she had been detained, and sentenced to jail.

Perhaps she had been indoctrinated by children's television in Gaza, which encourages children to “grow up... and shoot all the Jews”.

Either way, nothing is gained by rejoicing over other people's deaths.

Meh.

All over the world, you attack a police force or army with a deadly weapon, you get killed. To say it was because she was not a Jew? That's just straight up Jew bashing. There are a few posters who are referring to the matter in terms of the Jewish people, which is simply anti Semitism, they want to imply that the issue comes down to something within the make up of Jewish people.

Advertisement