Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I fell off my bike, when did you fall last ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Last year coming down the Cookstown road, some debris whipped up from the road into the front wheel, flipping the rear of the bike and myself over the handlebars. It happened so fast. The elbow, shin and knee of my clothes on the left side were ruined. Bruised a few ribs which only became sore after a day or two but lasted for weeks.

Funnily enough, for the only thing I could do without feeling pain was cycle. Result !:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Noel Tallon

Last Saturday in Chapelizod village.

Waiting behind a line of stopped traffic I clipped out. When the traffic began to move I looked down to clip back in again. While looking down I had not noticed that the car in front of me had jammed its brakes on. I hit the back bumper at about 5 mph, pulled the front brake (I know), rolled upwards towards the back bonnet and fell over sideways. In fairness many people were immediately on the scene asking me if I was OK.

Nothing was hurt except my pride and nothing was lost except my dignity.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am quite surprised at the number of very recent "events" being reported here. Makes me glad I guess that I've been doing 90%+ of my "cycling" indoors over the past month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Beasty wrote: »
    I am quite surprised at the number of very recent "events" being reported here. Makes me glad I guess that I've been doing 90%+ of my "cycling" indoors over the past month or two

Be careful, I've seen some roller video nasties ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Came off at last years Westportif in Wesport,crash ahead in large group and couldnt avoid.
    Ended up breaking 2 ribs,very painful for about 12 weeks but i kept cycling and done the lenister loop on week 10, i was very nervous in that and stayed away from large groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

About 7 hours ago :( lost the back wheel braking and off I went. Nothing broken thankfully but rotator cuff is a bit banged up so no cycling for a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Last night. Around about 15:00.

I was on a nice straight road coming out of town. Woman in an Octavia pulls up to a junction on my left. I watch her as I am fairly moving. She looks right and then looks left and then right again and then looks straight at me. I say to myself "Nice one, she's seen me, I am safe" And she pulls out. I jammed the brakes and must've pulled the front harder. I began to go over the handlebars but her drivers side door broke my fall. Managed to get myself between the bike and the car. Rammed my knee into her door and pinned myself up against her window.

When I realised what had happened I completely lost the plot with her ranting and raving and she just sat there crying her eyes out saying "I am so sorry"

Which made me feel bad so i told her to just f*ck off.

Knee is pretty sore today but over all I'm alright. Checked Strava and I was doing 38KM/h at the time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MugMugs wrote: »
    I was doing 38KM/h at the time.
    I'm definitely progressing on that front. 1st crash was at 40 km/h, 2nd at 44 and 3rd at 50

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm definitely progressing on that front. 1st crash was at 40 km/h, 2nd at 44 and 3rd at 50

I'll be doing a good bit around North County Dublin this summer Beasty.

You just stay a good distance away from me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Dcully wrote: »
    Came off at last years Westportif in Wesport,crash ahead in large group and couldnt avoid.
    Ended up breaking 2 ribs,very painful for about 12 weeks but i kept cycling and done the lenister loop on week 10, i was very nervous in that and stayed away from large groups.

Was this in the group led by the Burren cycling club on the 160km route? Just avoided coming off behind if so, all happened very quickly but looked a bad one alright. Good to hear you healed up nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

MugMugs wrote: »
    Last night. Around about 15:00.

I was on a nice straight road coming out of town. Woman in an Octavia pulls up to a junction on my left. I watch her as I am fairly moving. She looks right and then looks left and then right again and then looks straight at me. I say to myself "Nice one, she's seen me, I am safe" And she pulls out. I jammed the brakes and must've pulled the front harder. I began to go over the handlebars but her drivers side door broke my fall. Managed to get myself between the bike and the car. Rammed my knee into her door and pinned myself up against her window.

When I realised what had happened I completely lost the plot with her ranting and raving and she just sat there crying her eyes out saying "I am so sorry"

Which made me feel bad so i told her to just f*ck off.

Knee is pretty sore today but over all I'm alright. Checked Strava and I was doing 38KM/h at the time.

They are the weirdest ones, aren't they? I'd love to know the subconscious mental processing that is going on. You see them, they make eye contact, so you know they have seen you and are completely aware you are there, but somewhere, deep down, because you are not a car, it somehow doesn't process quickly enough/at all, and they go ahead anyhow.

I wonder if at some level its to do with avoiding accidents. An accident = a bash with a car. No car = let's go ahead and move. Woops.

They are the weirdest ones, aren't they? I'd love to know the subconscious mental processing that is going on. You see them, they make eye contact, so you know they have seen you and are completely aware you are there, but somewhere, deep down, because you are not a car, it somehow doesn't process quickly enough/at all, and they go ahead anyhow.

I wonder if at some level its to do with avoiding accidents. An accident = a bash with a car. No car = let's go ahead and move. Woops.

Bizarre doesn't even cut it really. Lights, hi vis gilet and 100kg is generally big enough to be seen. You'd have to wonder! No harm no foul, no broken bones! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think I last fell off in 2005 or 2006. I seem to come off once a decade or so, so I'm probably due another one. (No competitive or even particularly fast cycling in my life.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Early work days of the New Year. Was overtaking a queue of cars on the right (to avoid getting doored on the left), and a car decided to do a u turn out of the queue... Bike was ok once I'd straightened the hoods, and I was ok bar a bit of a bang on my knee. The old wan driving was more upset than me I think - her son was out straight away apologising. Was only a few hundred metres from the car, so went back and drove in, and I haven't really got back into the cycle commuting since to be honest - partly because traffic has been relatively easy, but whether it's confidence or hassle I don't know (I was straight back out on the road bike around home, and on the trails). Mid-term this week, so start again next week...

Before that, it was a comedy slow motion fall going uphill on a mountain bike trail. I was going so slow I didn't get over a tiny stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I came off the mtb on Saturday and broke my left wrist. Still don't know what caused it which is the annoying part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Two weeks ago. Playing around on sandy trails. Over the handlebars, remembered to unclip and away I went. No damage to me, apart from a cycle home covered in sand, and some scratching on my left brake lever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

No fall of any significance since my schooldays, which was quite a while ago. Still have one scar from that time, on my knee.

My impression at this stage of my life is that the risk of falling off is vanishingly small compared to being hit by a car or truck, especially on our wonderful Irish roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

after the deenside cup i was passing by a lad on a sweet Look bike and was too busy ooglin to remember to keep peddling. came to a stop and toppled over clipped in. another lad rushed over to rescue my bike leaving me on the deck looking dead smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I burped a ghetto tubeless front tyre around a month ago while committing the cardinal sin of braking a steering at the same time

By all accounts I did a near 180 spin on the front wheel before hitting the deck, and it looked cool, back running tubes at a higher pressure on those wheels

I don't recommend anyone use a ghetto conversion, tubeless on tubeless rims from now on for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Cycling in clipless pedals for near 18 months now with no *oh crap i forgot to unclip incidences until now*. Headed off for work a few weeks back one morning, got to the end of my road (T junction onto another quiet road), rarely few cars come along, but this particular morning coupled with a big sleepy head on me didn't notice the car coming along, so hit the brakes but forgot to unclip, timmbeeerrrrrrrr over I went. I was more or less coming to stop anyway by balancing on the bike so no injuries, thankfully nobody was around to see my damaged pride, so scurried back to my feet and off i went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

done that jon 1981 but i did it at the traffic lights at the luas line on parkgate street early on sunday morning, gave a car full of youngs wans something laugh about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

On the road bike about two years ago cycling home from the club spin , tried to go no hands while putting glasses Into helmet , hit a pebble and that was the end of me ..��

On the mountain bike I fall most times to some degree , usually involved the boardwalk in the ballyhouras but lately it's been the final run into the finish

shaka wrote: »
    On the road bike about two years ago cycling home from the club spin , tried to go no hands while putting glasses Into helmet , hit a pebble and that was the end of me ..��

On the mountain bike I fall most times to some degree , usually involved the boardwalk in the ballyhouras but lately it's been the final run into the finish

I made it through the difficult parts of the trail I was on and then lost it somehow on the flat east part meters short of the end. Still have no idea what sent me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I last fell off just over a month ago. Was doing a charity cycle and we had just started in a big group when the guy in front of me stopped suddenly with no warning. I braked hard but didn't have time to get my foot unclipped. I shouted out but the girl behind me was too close and the two of us clattered to the ground. No injuries just a scraped and bruised knee. Yer man hopped up on his bike and pedalled off completely oblivious to what he had done.

Must be over 2 weeks now ....

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

I was hit by a car in rathfarnham tonight , so my last fall was about 5:30 today ! Few cuts and bruises Is all thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

the last time I fell off was ice biking in Sweden... luckily there was plenty of snow to land on...

Just got full cast on today. Narrowly avoided surgery. Back again in 4 weeks. People should be wearing wrist protection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Last night, frantically searching for my pannier bag thinking I'd dropped it on Navan Road (it was found) in retracing my steps, I was not paying my normal level of attention and was a bit annoyed, cue slight dip, pothole, kerb hyrbid type hole in front of me. Front wheel goes into it, i go over the handlebars, bike comes behind me and lands on my back.

I let out a big loud swear in the process, a neighbour from around the corner peers out window, but doesn't bother to help or ask anything. My brand new (to me) steel frame landing on me was not much fun, but escaped with only some grazes and a bruised ego.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    My brand new (to me) steel frame landing on me was night much fun, but escaped with only some grazes and a bruised ego.
    Look on the bright side. Fractured bones will usually repair themselves - a fractured frame is often terminal

Advertisement