Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best wet gear?

Options
  • 08-01-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Looking to buy a new set of wet gear before i start placement, just wondering what yer opinions would be on the best brand around at a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Uncle brought me a set from canada. Serious set, ill find out the name for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭50HX

TheSunderz wrote: »
    Looking to buy a new set of wet gear before i start placement, just wondering what yer opinions would be on the best brand around at a reasonable price?

bought North face trouser bottoms in Scotland bout 5 yrs ago - expensive but worth every penny - lightweight and breathable - wouldn't even notice your wearing em
    Need to mind em though as they can rip very easily but ideal for the wet days as long as your not muliking thru briars
    Tried the Regatta stuff before - heavy and not breathable

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’m on that greggcare what’s the best trousers.. I usually get berghaus but rip too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I need a jacket for all out Galway rain. I want something that doesn't adsorb water so Flexothane, Guy Cotten etc. A lot of the farming forums say that Flexothane isn't as good as it was. Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought a Helly Henson Jacket on screwfix.ie and 2 months later it is in bits. Really disapointed with it.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Discodog wrote: »
    I need a jacket for all out Galway rain. I want something that doesn't adsorb water so Flexothane, Guy Cotten etc. A lot of the farming forums say that Flexothane isn't as good as it was. Any thoughts ?

Guy Cotten far superior

orm0nd wrote: »
    Guy Cotten far superior

Yes I fancy one of their combination, breathable jackets but they are well over €100 which is a lot, if or when, it gets damaged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Yes I fancy one of their combination, breathable jackets but they are well over €100 which is a lot, if or when, it gets damaged.

I got a €70 coat in a chandlers in Kilmore over Christmas. Yet to try it out. Not breathable though.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

greysides wrote: »
    I got a €70 coat in a chandlers in Kilmore over Christmas. Yet to try it out. Not breathable though.

Kehoes hardware, Kilmore Quay?

If so that's where I get my Guy Cotton from.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Kehoes hardware, Kilmore Quay?

If so that's where I get my Guy Cotton from.

Yup, made a pilgrimage over Christmas. Useful place. Got woolie hats with LED lights chargeable from a USB, some cord for lambing rope, scallop knife, head torch... and a French fisherman's Breton cap.

A friend had been down before and they had a bigger variety of Guy Cotten stuff that time. He bought nearly one of everything. If I like the coat and now I know which of their sizes suits me, I can order the more expensive coats online.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I find Trojan quite good, I'm not sure if you can buy from Ireland but arco.co.uk have good wetgear.

They've got good wet trousers and boots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Guy cotton all the way. Have the water proof dungarees that strap over your shoulders. Best thing I ever got. The flexothaine from glanbia don't last and it's a cxxt to take on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »

Thanks. The Isoder is probably the one I got. The Dremtech is the one I'll get next if the Isoder proves itself.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Thanks. The Isoder is probably the one I got. The Dremtech is the one I'll get next if the Isoder proves itself.
    I got the bocage pants and they too wide at bottom muck flys up between wellie and oiler and the knees get wet/destroyed, old boys round here used to have the black bands around the calves to prevents this..

Greg care E65, any good or rip easy ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

TheSunderz wrote: »
    Kaiwaka bib and Guy Cotton coat with the breathable shoulders,you will be dry all day long in the worst of weather.The bib is lined and made of a material that won’t rip,will last you years.
    Both take a few wears and washing’s to feel comfy but you won’t get wet in them,great quality.
    Forget the cheap stuff and give a couple hundred for the above and you won’t regret it.

milligan2 wrote: »
    Kaiwaka bib and Guy Cotton coat with the breathable shoulders,you will be dry all day long in the worst of weather.The bib is lined and made of a material that won’t rip,will last you years.
    Both take a few wears and washing’s to feel comfy but you won’t get wet in them,great quality.
    Forget the cheap stuff and give a couple hundred for the above and you won’t regret it.

I went for the kaiwaka stormforce trouser E125 as opposed to the bib as I prefer to step into them wellie and all at back of the jeep .. find the bib goes everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭older by the day

If you farming don't be spending big money, well not if you have thorny wire or briars or sharp objects. Something light and not be sweating, and easy to put on and off. I find the flexithane ok.

If you farming don't be spending big money, well not if you have thorny wire or briars or sharp objects. Something light and not be sweating, and easy to put on and off. I find the flexithane ok.

Those trousers are an insane price. You can get 7 pairs of these for the same money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortress-521-GN-XL-X-Large-Bib-n-Brace/dp/B008VNHCVS/ref=pd_sbs_60_2/262-3899672-1925861?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008VNHCVS&pd_rd_r=4eab72b5-34e3-11e9-9030-1300300cab58&pd_rd_w=CNGAQ&pd_rd_wg=FBa5l&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=HPE2ZSXB9448TZHZA7W7&psc=1&refRID=HPE2ZSXB9448TZHZA7W7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭pms7

Are these as good as the Flexothene?

Flexothene have Classic + Essential, reckon the Essential are better..

pms7 wrote: »
    Are these as good as the Flexothene?

Flexothene have Classic + Essential, reckon the Essential are better..

I don't know yet :)

Edit: It arrived & it's an ideal summer jacket. Very lightweight. I just ordered the trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Snickers and mascot do good gear.
    Mostly for the construction industry but I wear it at home as well.
    Hard wearing and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

valtra2 wrote: »
    Guy cotton all the way. Have the water proof dungarees that strap over your shoulders. Best thing I ever got. The flexothaine from glanbia don't last and it's a cxxt to take on and off

Are the Guy Cotton bibs breathable? Biggest issue I have is my trousers underneath my waterproofs are drenched in sweat.

timple23 wrote: »
    Are they breathable? Biggest issue I have is my trousers underneath my waterproofs are drenched in sweat.

I tried legging before, the crotchless ones you hang from a belt, I found the trousers underneath ended up soaked, moreso than with the trouser versions.

Adam Grant

timple23 wrote: »
    Are the Guy Cotton bibs breathable? Biggest issue I have is my trousers underneath my waterproofs are drenched in sweat.

No only some of the more expensive jackets. The best value breathables, I have found, are Keela Rainlife. You can often find them cheap on ebay. I just paid £6 for some & they are around 45 new.

I wore these all day yesterday, in heavy rain & they are very good but definitely not that tough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortress-220-X-Large-Waterproof-Jacket/dp/B008J2R0L8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Grundens do some good wet gear,aimed at the marine market so well tested

Just an update.

I decided to splash out a really good jacket & ordered this

https://www.waterproofs.ie/guy-cotten-eureka-breathable-jacket/

Firstly the shop were amazing. Easily the lowest price, from West Cork & delivered the next day.

The jacket is superb because you get the durability & total waterproofing of an oilskin but with breathability. The breathable part is a really tough fabric used in their expensive yacht racing gear.

It's light enough for summer & I just came back from a long walk in this warm thundery rain - totally dry with no sweating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Just an update.

I decided to splash out a really good jacket & ordered this

https://www.waterproofs.ie/guy-cotten-eureka-breathable-jacket/

Firstly the shop were amazing. Easily the lowest price, from West Cork & delivered the next day.

The jacket is superb because you get the durability & total waterproofing of an oilskin but with breathability. The breathable part is a really tough fabric used in their expensive yacht racing gear.

It's light enough for summer & I just came back from a long walk in this warm thundery rain - totally dry with no sweating.

Thinking of buying this jacket, how has it performed for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Grundens do some good wet gear,aimed at the marine market so well tested

I’d second Grundens... I found that any waterproofs I tried in the past started to leak at the seams after a very short time. After doing some research,
    I discovered Grundens. As said, they are aimed at the marine market. I don’t think they are easy to pick up locally. I got mine on amazon. One thing to watch when buying online is that they are graded by weight. It’s worth spending more on the heavier ones. I bought a trousers that has straps that come up over your shoulders, and a coat. They’re still perfect years later. They wouldn’t be breathable, but the trousers are fairly wide fitting, so I don’t find them too bad. But, I wouldn’t be working too hard in them. I’d generally only wear them going out to see the stock in wet weather, or when power washing.

Advertisement