Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

• 28-04-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭

I heard about 10 minutes of the Newstalk Breakfast show this morning and wasn't too impressed. First off, Ivan Yeats was interviewing some guy from Donegal about the upcoming local/EU elections and would have given Boo Boo from Yogi Bear a run for his money in the yappy, excited, annoying stakes. The whole thing was far too animated and excited for that hour of the morning. I felt I was in work already with various people breathing down my neck looking for things to be done.

Next up was Chris with his exquisitely, painstakingly perfectly pronounced T's, rambling on about some court case in his drab D4 accent like it was actually important but it all ended up sounding very drab and forgetable.

I exited just before the sport and, while Christ was talking to the court reported, they obviously slipped some downers into Ivan's coffer because he sounded depressed and all tapped out when introducing the sports guy.

It's a fairly rubbish station in general. Not sure why anybody would want to listen to a bunch of middle aged guys drone on all the time. Nothing like some music to lighten the tone I always find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I like it.....I'll get me coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Yatesy is great. Knows how politics works and is able to decipher the crap that gets shoved down our mouths from other news outlets and papers.

Chris is just there to fill the gaps when Ivan manages to close his mouth.

I enjoy the show, it works well enough. I wont be switching over anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Listening to Morning Ireland is like being stuck in a classroom

Newstalk breakfast treats its audience like adults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I listen to Radio 4 mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

OP, you sound like more of a 2fm/Today FM kind of person, rather than NewsTalk (the clue is in the Station name). Did you ever hear of a gentleman named Tony Fenton - he would rock your world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I like Newstalk Breakfast. It's informative enough and quite light - grand for morning listening. Admittedly it can be a bit cringy at times - particularly some of the 'banter' between the lads when you can hear Chris genuinely wants to poke Ivan's eyes out with a spoon, but overall I enjoy their presenting style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I urge the OP to listen to the programme for longer than ten minutes, and to listen to Kenny and the weekend output, before branding the station "fairly rubbish in general".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I like Newstalk Breakfast. It's informative enough and quite light - grand for morning listening. Admittedly it can be a bit cringy at times - particularly some of the 'banter' between the lads when you can hear Chris genuinely wants to poke Ivan's eyes out with a spoon, but overall I enjoy their presenting style.

Sums the show up for me.

I listen to it for about an hour each morning when getting ready for work. It's by far the best option at that hour as I don't really like Dempsey, wouldn't listen to the 2FM show if I was paid, and SPIN doesn't have enough talk for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I often listen to Newstalk in the morning (when I'm not anoraking!). I quite enjoy Ivan and Chris, particularly when they are talking politics and especially when joined by Shane Coleman for the political analysis. I certainly would prefer that to listening to two or three people talking absolute rubbish and trying to be funny, and I'm not a great fan of Ian Dempsey's show - no problem with Ian himself. At times, when things get too heavy or involved on Newstalk, I will switch to music, usually TXFM or Nova.

A couple of clarifications for the OP: Chris is from Drimnagh (definitely not D4) and turned/turns 30 this year (barely middle-aged). The sports guy alluded to is none other than Richie McCormack, late of Phantom FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I like it. Chris's diction does wreck my head at times though. I gave up on Morning Ireland when some idiot in RTE thought it would be a good idea to let Claire Byrne present it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really enjoy the breakfast show now Ivan is back, especially now with an election coming up. His poacher turned gamekeeper insight is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭mikep

I often switch over from R1 for the paper review, I find Ivan would be better if he stopped trying to be "a bit of a lad" with the banter type stuff he comes out with sometimes, just going for a reaction, although he can do insightful interviews getting to the crux of issues where others fail. His insght into the workings of the dail and political parties is sometimes good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

breakfast show then. first post of millions.

//MOD

People this is not the off topic thread so please return to Newstalk Breakfast show or I'll be handing out bans esp. relating to the upcoming referendum...

//MOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

yes there is hence the closure of the megathread. If someone wants to discuss a particular show on Newstalk they can start a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Ivan on the meaning of NIMBY: "not in my back door" apparently.

Chris' response was pretty great: "People of Ireland, rise up and say... NOT IN MY BACK DOOR!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Thought the presenter from Global Village who is having a baby with her lesbian partner spoke very well this morning. Kicked out of the house at 17 after she told her Jehovah's Witness parents she was gay, mother asks her recently 'Are you normal yet?'. Mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

leakyboots wrote: »
    Thought the presenter from Global Village who is having a baby with her lesbian partner spoke very well this morning. Kicked out of the house at 17 after she told her Jehovah's Witness parents she was gay, mother asks her recently 'Are you normal yet?'. Mind boggles

1st time for everything, normally shes on a irish, white, man, non traveller bashing agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Recent JNLR data rated Breakfast the most popular Newstalk show. Pretty impressive going, especially after it looked like the wheels were coming off during the Nora months.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/radio-1-audience-slips-as-tubridy-newstalk-breakfast-grow-1.1991313

Together with PK and Hook (to be replaced in due course by Shane Coleman?), Newstalk looks like a really serious proposition now. Breakfast has really settled, and Ivan and Chris have got the banter balance right, after the dodgy pre-Nora effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

leakyboots wrote: »

Not surprising so that she has such a chirpy disposition, getting away from that pair of eejits. Fair play to her...Her name is not difficult to pronounce though. Apart from the bashing mentioned above, she goes on about this a lot!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

jeez, this thread died a death since that power tripping mod needlessly closed the megathread.

if anyone is listening, did anyone hear yates take on that muppet bobby kerr this morning? very entertaining, calling him out for what he is. fair play to him.

anyone there??? anyone???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

jeez, this thread died a death since that power tripping mod needlessly closed the megathread.

if anyone is listening, did anyone hear yates take on that muppet bobby kerr this morning? very entertaining, calling him out for what he is. fair play to him.

anyone there??? anyone???

yeah i heard it was a good filleting. got the feeling yates has no time for bobby

Also what is the point of the business show before breakfast? its a waste of a filler slot. theres about 15 minutes of an actual show. at 750 this morning bobby says he off for a traffic report which turns into an ad break he comes back and says thats it from me now lets take the traffic. Ian Guider use to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

Has Ian Guider left Newstalk?
    Heard him last Friday morning saying it was his last Business Breakfast show.
    There is now no business reporter on during the Newstalk Breakfast, which is a weakness if left like that.
    I liked that early business show from 6:30 and thought Guider was very good on it. A good business journalist if not the best broadcaster in the world.

It sure beats Shay Byrne playing with himself over on Radio One.

Also, I enjoyed Bobby Kerr becoming precious and defensive with Yeats over his role in this Post Office Talking Shop that he's chairman of, this morning.

When Yeats suggested that maybe selling Mars Bars might be the only way to save rural Post Offices, Kerr didn't like it much, calling for a bit of respect.
    Yeats then reminded Kerr that he was a rural TD for 20 years and so the dick measuring continued. Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Yeats really is a breath of fresh air on irish radio, he doesn't care who he talks about and what he says about them.

Listening to Hook climb up Aer Lingus arse the other evens just showed the difference.

Expunge wrote: »
    When Yeats suggested that maybe selling Mars Bars might be the only way to save rural Post Offices, Kerr didn't like it much, calling for a bit of respect.
    Yeats then reminded Kerr that he was a rural TD for 20 years and so the dick measuring continued. Enjoyable.

That was enjoyable but for the most part his smart-alecky, contrary-for-the-sake-of-it routine just makes me tired.

Since Chris O'Donohoe got the gig with UTV he seems to be really ratcheting it up. Maybe he's trying to raise his profile and become a sort of Jeremy Clarkson-type hate figure.

Newstalk Breakfast is still better than most of the alternatives. I still listen. I'm half expecting Yeats to eventually push it too far with some extraordinary bad-taste joke that sees him adding "broadcaster" to his list of failed careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is now no business reporter on during the Newstalk Breakfast, which is a weakness if left like that.
    I liked that early business show from 6:30 and thought Guider was very good on it. A good business journalist if not the best broadcaster in the world.

He has he has joined the sunday business post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Yeah he knows his stuff, but didn't have the best of voices for radio.

Newstalk Breakfast is still better than most of the alternatives. I still listen. I'm half expecting Yeats to eventually push it too far with some extraordinary bad-taste joke that sees him adding "broadcaster" to his list of failed careers.

He's coming close alright, this mornings offering was some kind of smug put down on eastern European cleaners and how Shane has one running around cleaning up after his mess in the house.

While I'm no big fan of Ivan as a person, he's very entertaining on radio and he does say what he wants, puts it up to waffling politicians always and doesn't suffer fools easily. It is also just a nice break from listening to Chris Donoghue's boring populist claptrap.

I don't agree at all with you saying he has a list of failed careers. People rarely exit politics in a whirlwind of glory, if ever, and considering the difficulties he faced as minister of Ag. with BSE crisis he did quite well, he was actually tipped to take over the party but bowed out of politics altogether...I would say that's as successful a politician he could have been and exited on a high. His Celtic bookmaker business was very successful until the downturn and its downfall was not related to his ineptitude as a businessman, he also did his best to keep the business afloat and keep his employees in work. The business failed, but it wasn't necessary a failed career of his. I should emphasise, I do think hes a bit of a b*llocks though, definitely not someone you would want as a husband or dad.

He's coming close alright, this mornings offering was some kind of smug put down on eastern European cleaners and how Shane has one running around cleaning up after his mess in the house.

While I'm no big fan of Ivan as a person, he's very entertaining on radio and he does say what he wants, puts it up to waffling politicians always and doesn't suffer fools easily. It is also just a nice break from listening to Chris Donoghue's boring populist claptrap.

I don't agree at all with you saying he has a list of failed careers. People rarely exit politics in a whirlwind of glory, if ever, and considering the difficulties he faced as minister of Ag. with BSE crisis he did quite well, he was actually tipped to take over the party but bowed out of politics altogether...I would say that's as successful a politician he could have been and exited on a high. His Celtic bookmaker business was very successful until the downturn and its downfall was not related to his ineptitude as a businessman, he also did his best to keep the business afloat and keep his employees in work. The business failed, but it wasn't necessary a failed career of his. I should emphasise, I do think hes a bit of a b*llocks though, definitely not someone you would want as a husband or dad.

Yep, point taken. In fairness, he wasn't a bad minister. My dad, a farmer himself, thought he was the best we've had in a while. Also, if I was drawing a pension of €70+ a year, I could hardly say it was failed career!

On the betting shops... I worked for an online gambling company for a few years there and even before Celtic went under, a lot of people thought Yates was mad to be opening shops instead of investing that money in an online presence. Again though, he tried to do OK by his staff even when things started to go a***ways.

On the betting shops... I worked for an online gambling company for a few years there and even before Celtic went under, a lot of people thought Yates was mad to be opening shops instead of investing that money in an online presence. Again though, he tried to do OK by his staff even when things started to go a***ways.

didn't realise that, I guess the business model of his was fairly flawed. its not like online gambling was in its infancy or anything. he's stuck in the stone age as far as an awful lot of things are concerned.

haven't had enough interest to get his book but may do at some stage, reviews are good on amazon but will probably until i see it in one of those cardboard boxes at a farmers market stall with a 50c sticker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I've read his book. Interesting, enjoyed it. He didn't go into the online business as his long term goal was to sell the shops, hopefully to William Hill (I think) who already had an online presence and he didn't see the need to replicate it. He almost had a deal done when the recession started and they pulled out. Another 6 months and he would have been laughing. I would query all the debt he took on though he wasn't the only one.

I like his analysis and he's great on the election shananagians. He and Chris are a good match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement