Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMA Forum Charter and "Plan" discussion

Comments

• I only realised this moment that this forum existed. A few people have told me to do an AMA thread and I thought they meant on After Hours. I did not realise it was an actual forum.

It does look like the forum could go either way. The Prison Officer thread was massively interesting. The PUA one not so much because it seems to me the OP had the idea that going out on the pull made him a PUA - rather than what most people think PUA means which is someone who subscribes to a fixed methodology of psychological manipulation in order to "pull" women. So that thread was a bit of a waste.

But much potential here - great idea - I hope it goes well. I have subscribed. Would love to see more public service people - from politicians to teachers and the like on here - were it to happen.

I am curious how the "verification" process works. It just says on the form to give your real name and phone number. How does this verify anything? Surely if someone is misleading you then phoning them and asking "Are you being honest" and them replying "I am yea" is not really going to be effective. Is there a further stage to verification?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Orim wrote: »
    As long as they don't overpower the thread, a couple of fun questions is okay.

I mean, how else will we decide Daddy or Chips?

which do ya prefer, spuds or potatoes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I am curious how the "verification" process works. It just says on the form to give your real name and phone number. How does this verify anything? Surely if someone is misleading you then phoning them and asking "Are you being honest" and them replying "I am yea" is not really going to be effective. Is there a further stage to verification?

I gave a screen shot of my ID card for verification. Dav has deleted it since the thread closed. That's how it worked for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yea, I ask for contact details and come up with a means of verifying. As Omackeral said, he sent me a photo of his badge, but I'll pick something straightforward as verification. Reddit's "post a pic of yourself on Twitter confirming you're doing this thing" is a useful idea, we don't need to be as public as that for everyone (or indeed anyone when I'm happy to have it simply sent to us in the office).

• Dav wrote: »
    Yea, I ask for contact details

Im too scared to out my contact details given how many laws I may or may not be breaking. But I could nominate a few people on here. Dav..... ask Micheal Nugent to do a thread on here. if this forum is built for anyone, its him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

When will the next one be live?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tilly wrote: »
    When will the next one be live?

+1

Also has there been many applications?

I will have the next one live after lunch today. I've had 12 responses so far (including OMackeral).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Dav wrote: »
    I will have the next one live after lunch today. I've had 12 responses so far (including OMackeral).

What time is lunch in boards towers?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

It'd be cool if you could get a convicted murderer to do one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

What time is lunch in boards towers?? ;)

Lunchtimes are legendary. The Brandy and Cigars often take over 2 hours, and what lunchtime is complete without a cheeky lapdance or two. :D

This is like waiting for the next episode of your favourite show :)

This is like waiting for the next episode of your favourite show :)

This is like waiting for the AMA forum to get green lighted in the first place :p

I'm sorry folks, I've been ran off my feet, but we're actually awaiting word from our next participant. A very interesting and topically relevant opportunity presented itself over the weekend and we're just trying to get the details ironed out.

And yes, I realise what a total tease that is, I'm sorry.

Meanwhile, if I thought anyone had any kind of interest, I'd do one myself :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm sorry folks, I've been ran off my feet, but we're actually awaiting word from our next participant. A very interesting and topically relevant opportunity presented itself over the weekend and we're just trying to get the details ironed out.

And yes, I realise what a total tease that is, I'm sorry.

Meanwhile, if I thought anyone had any kind of interest, I'd do one myself :)

Sure, a Dav AMA would be cool!

I don't suppose the new CEO would be interested too?

I've already told Seán that I expect he will be in the firing line for one of these sooner rather than later :D His schedule doesn't currently allow for it, but I'll be reminding him :)

I hope it's a convicted murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Macavity. wrote: »
    It'd be cool if you could get a convicted murderer to do one.
    I hope it's a convicted murderer.

OK, I'll take the bait, if only to show that silence is not assent.

There are plenty of positive roles and individuals around that have something to teach us or are just plain interesting. Omackeral was a case in point.

There was a father on the radio yesterday who's son had been attacked some time ago and was seriously brain damaged as a result. Yet the father has no hate for attacker. How interesting to chat to him. How does he even get up each day.

What can a murderer possibly teach us other than just satisfy our prurient interest?

Can we make suggestions of who we'd like to hear from? I'd love to hear from a League of Ireland soccer player or a taxi driver who does the 3am shifts. Actually, they could possibly be the same person :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can we make suggestions of who we'd like to hear from? I'd love to hear from a League of Ireland soccer player or a taxi driver who does the 3am shifts. Actually, they could possibly be the same person :p

Good idea with the LOI player. I'm sure a few of us on the soccer know one or two we could rope in :D

• Advertisement

• Omackeral wrote: »
    Can we make suggestions of who we'd like to hear from?

Well before anyone recommends me again - Id like to repeat micheal nugent as a possible candidate. Someone in the army or a teacher in our schools would be interesting too. Given the number of misconceptions rife in the sex trade as demonstrated by the current threads on it - someone doing sex work might be interesting too.

On the subject of religion again there is a project in the US run by people like Daniel Dennett called "The Clergy Project" which seeks to support and communicate with clergy who have entirely lost their faith - but continue in the roll anyway - and I would find it very interesting if we could somehow source - and keep anonymous - such a priest from Ireland. Perhaps Mr. Dennett would even find this interesting and might - in turn - consent to being an AMA guest too. (Theres at least one - maybe two - users I know on this forum who are in fairly frequent contact with him).

The Vlogbrothers have been known to do such things too when approached. As have a few authors like AJ Jacobs (Year of living Biblically and Know it all).

Problem is a lot of people we might find genuinely interesting have to be sourced because they themselves would be surprised to find that anyone has any interest in hearing from them at all.

What can a murderer possibly teach us other than just satisfy our prurient interest?

It's an AMA, it doesn't have to teach us anything. A convicted murderer would be a fascinating Q & A.

It's an AMA, it doesn't have to teach us anything. A convicted murderer would be a fascinating Q & A.
    For you.

For you.

Honestly, it would interest me too. Not for everyone sure, I understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Great forum, well done on setting it up. Just finished a hot seat in a private forum - they're always good fun and interesting too.

Happy sailing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Well before anyone recommends me again - Id like to repeat micheal nugent as a possible candidate.

who are you and whose telling you to do one???

• Who is anyone here given you have only been here for 9 posts :)

But me - No one special at all - but a couple of users on THC and After Hours asked me to do such a thread.

The candidates I listed would all be better and more interesting. Any input on those?

Has there been much of a response for this forum? I though the traffic was heavy in my own thread that we'd have two or three topics going all at once! There's a lack of momentum or something it seems. Anybody else feel this? I thought we'd be motoring along with a few going at once. Should we headhunt a few people and ask if they'd be up for it. Even in the creation of this forum there seemed to be massive interest. Just my thoughts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Omackeral wrote: »
    Has there been much of a response for this forum? I though the traffic was heavy in my own thread that we'd have two or three topics going all at once! There's a lack of momentum or something it seems. Anybody else feel this? I thought we'd be motoring along with a few going at once. Should we headhunt a few people and ask if they'd be up for it. Even in the creation of this forum there seemed to be massive interest. Just my thoughts.

I signed up for this but heard nothing back...

Not entirely sure how the process works but I imagine there has been a significant amount of interest in it and they're sifting through to find the best one(s)?

I agree though, there should be more than one on the go - not an excessive amount but a couple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Agree with the above. Omackeral's one was great and got a lot of people interested and Dav's was good too but is running out of steam a bit at this point. Need to have a couple overlapping. If people are waiting days between each AMA they'll stop bothering to check the forum.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement