Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iherb Food Items - VAT charges + €10 DHL charge over orders €22+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AnthonyWalsh07

Is it everything being charged from iherb?

I buy quest bars every few months as i get 3 boxes for the same price of 2 over here

As they considered for sports endurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

I was charged on my recent order of 4 boxes of quest bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Davei141 wrote: »
    WTF? Is this DHL that are acting the bollox or is it customs, as it seems DHL are getting a nice deal from this.

I got a letter from some debt collecting crowd working on DHL's behalf. When I had ordered from DHL previously, I had to give them a 2nd UK address due to customs (they are awful at explaining anything to do with customs)but there was never any mention of an extra charge. I emailed them asking what's the story with this £50 charge but they never got back to me. I won't be using DHL again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Hi Folks,

Having some issues myself. Different site to iHerb but dispatched with DHL Global Mail so similar principles apply.

Package left New Jersey with DHL on 30/05 bound. I know the process is that it goes from there to Germany and then onto Ireland.

The package contains supplements (fish oils, multivitamins, Alpha Brain nootropics)- may well be a customs issue.

Anybody experience similar delays, bearing in mind it's now been 5 weeks? Is this a very long delay even for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This reminds me of "bodybuilding.com" a few years ago, customs seemingly had it in for them and I think were holding back stuff for a long time.

• Advertisement

That's exactly who I ordered from :(

Any way about it?

EDIT: Just received a response by e-mail from An Post in Portlaoise who state the parcel has not arrived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

How is UK customs?

Would it be feasible to order from iHerb and deliver to your Parcel Motel (Uk address) in order to dodge/lower the hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

No, you were getting away with not paying import fees. No point getting all riled up now because they are being enforced.

No point in telling people not point in getting all riled up.

Fact is people like to have the freedom to buy off whoever they want who gives them a decent price and the government are just being fat pigs and forcing us to pay €10 paper work charges along with getting their VAT out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

StickyIcky wrote: »
    No point in telling people not point in getting all riled up.

Fact is people like to have the freedom to buy off whoever they want who gives them a decent price and the government are just being fat pigs and forcing us to pay €10 paper work charges along with getting their VAT out of it.

It's DHL that are forcing you to pay €10 paper work charges.

It's DHL that are forcing you to pay €10 paper work charges.

Government, DHL, forcing, whatever. Fact is I'm pissed about this. Lots of us buy of iherb.com and have been doing it for ages, but then some fat ass greedy **** bag comes along and decides they wanna squeeze more money out of us. This country is a bloody rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The issue with the €10 DHL fee is that it is massive on a €30 order but not so bad on a €2000 one etc.

The admin fee would be the same at a guess.

Most Vits are vat free as are certain foods but the rest are vatable.

Then there is duty.

Sad thing is - the vat goes on last after the duty, goods value, shipping have all been totted up.

It looks like they are slapping vat on the goods irrespective - based on this clampdown only 1 option - no more US orders - stick within the eu if feasible.

What do most of you guys order from iHerb?

The Guvnor wrote: »
    The admin fee would be the same at a guess.
    Some couriers use a %, not sure which, there is still a maximum amount they can charge though.
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Then there is duty.
    Duty will only kick in at €150

I wonder if people would get so irate it shops here started disclosing true costs. e.g. if you went to holland & barrett and alongside the price they had the ex-vat price and also deducted the costs of processing the VAT, i.e. the "handling fee" a figure from their accounts department that have to handle import charges and red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Oh Lord, I just spent 15 mins with customs this morning going through my orders...... the most frustrating 15 mins of my life.

Revenue and import people need a complete overhaul..
    I don't think I will be ordering anything from iherb for a long time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 t_dog

Has anyone got a proper breakdown of the extra charges from DHL or is it customs/revenue that should have a record of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dkhylan

I've put through a new order from iHerb following my email to them asking them to adjust labeling when I order, let's see how this gets on in a few days when passing through customs.

I challenged customs on the charges that I incurred.
    I was right on most of the products.
    Absolute joke of a department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

What sort of products?

What about parcel motel?

If we got the goods shipped to a UK address (i.e. parcel motel in newry or something) and then collected it via the Parcel Motel pickup points in Dundalk / Dublin etc etc

Do you think we could avoid the TAX and handling fees that way?

StickyIcky wrote: »
    What about parcel motel?
    If there is any issue with tax etc then parcel motel return it to the sender.

So if NI customers are having the same problems then you're in the same boat, or worse.
    What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?

Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Can someone please clarify (as I am unsure after reading this thread) - is it legitimate to pay the charges dhl are putting on iherb shipments (i.e. the customs)??? I ordered fish oil, vit d, calcium and coconut butter and am being charged over €30 including the dhl €10 charge? Are they within their rights to charge for these items??
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Heatmachine1

Anyone ordered from iherb in the slow post getting hit with extra charges?
    I am using this site 5yrs and never a problem,now fearful to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I have done 2 small orders via slow post, but I've kept both under the $29 mark anyway...
    Tbh it's just because I have money coming in to my referral rewards & I might as well spend it...

miss.piggy wrote: »
    I ordered fish oil, vit d, calcium and coconut butter
    Some things are grey area items. If you ship the exact same whey protein and have a picture of a man wearing a rugby jersey on the front then its 23% vat as it will be deemed a sports supplement, if he is wearing a chefs hat its zero % as its deemed a food ingredient.

Food supps still show as zero on revenue
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-04820.jsp
    Food Supplements (Food And Drink)

Rate:
    ZERO

Click on this link for the current and historic VAT rates.
    Remarks:
    Include vitamins and minerals in solid or liquid form but not including beverages such as high vitamin drinks, for oral consumption without further preparation and are supplements that forms part of a person's normal diet for the purposes of sustenance. also includes fish oils for oral consumption. otherwise, food supplements are liable at the standard rate. Ebrief no. 70/11 refers.

Value-Added Tax Consolidation Act 2010 (VATCA 2010) Ref:
    Section: 46(1)(b) Schedule: 2 Paragraph: 8(1)

there is a search box in the link I gave.

Apparently the fault lies with iherb really at the minute as they're not including itemised invoices with the order.

Anyone else got a site similar to iherb in Europe as I have been scammed once on an Eastern Euope health site.

Anyone know what it means when DHL Global Mail "recycle" your parcel? The basic explanation I got was that it had been delayed because my parcel was "recycled" and is due to land in Irish customs (about a month after it originally should have arrived there).

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I'm having difficulty with my iHerb order too. Bought about 70 quid worth of stuff. €26 DHL customs charge.

From what I read a big problem is the lack of a paper invoice. Now, I've emailed DHL saying I can provide an invoice.

Anyone suggest what the best course of action is? As a broke college student trying to be healthy & support myself, I really don't need this..

Anyone gone the skow post way and avoided the customs,It would be a real shame if this site is going to flag up every way with customs and their meddling paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

I just ordered 2 supplements, 2 x Omega 3 bottles.

Total cost was $26 / or €19 including the DHL shipment cost.

Lets see if I get hit with these fees as well...

• Advertisement

I just ordered 2 supplements, 2 x Omega 3 bottles.

Total cost was $26 / or €19 including the DHL shipment cost.

Lets see if I get hit with these fees as well...

Keep us informed if you dont mind.

Advertisement