Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

will see, hard to get away from the new counter strike beta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just got my key, DLing now. Aww ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sven is such a beast, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Got a proper headset now, so you will be able to hear me !

Been playing alot of Rhasta, I never really took a shining to him in HoN, but I usually pick him and if no one wants to go mid, thats great ! 8 minute tower or ward trap first blood at level 6 !

and if I have to side lane its also grand, with your two disables its easy to serve up kills to your carry. You can even get your farm up quickly with your shock if you had to babysit, and just push push push, 5 games and four wins with him.

On a side note tried out some -wtf mode games, there are few words to describe it .... just one or two ..... Clockwerk .... blink and Shivas .... its entertaining !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes finally, i think ive understood 3 words youve said :p

• Advertisement

yes finally, i think ive understood 3 words youve said :p

It was probably just a miss call anyways ! Sure you don't listen to them anyways !

Oh and the very first game I played with it I got a chance to test it out ... had a ruskie flaming me cause I was unable to keep him alive everytime he went John Rambo into a dual stun lane, oh and I tell you he heard every word crystal clear !

GO_Bear wrote: »
    It was probably just a miss call anyways ! Sure you don't listen to them anyways !
    'let them come' :p
    Oh and the very first game I played with it I got a chance to test it out ... had a ruskie flaming me cause I was unable to keep him alive everytime he went John Rambo into a dual stun lane, oh and I tell you he heard every word crystal clear !
    haha, new improved flaming.

haha, new improved flaming.

I normally don't humor them to be honest, are you around this evening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Got the beta.

Played 30 seconds before i realised you cannot unbind mouse3 away from "move camera". You also cannot remove camera acceleration entirely. Im sure its a good game, but i literally cannot play it with these two options.

Have fun.

• Advertisement

Dustaz wrote: »
    Got the beta.

Played 30 seconds before i realised you cannot unbind mouse3 away from "move camera". You also cannot remove camera acceleration entirely. Im sure its a good game, but i literally cannot play it with these two options.

Have fun.

I have had the issue of trying to reset mouse 4 away from VOIP and was unable to do it, so I made a post about it on the dev forum. I just use mouse 5 instead.

I don't know what you mean about the Camera acceleration ( works fine for me on the old factory settings ) but if you detail it to me I can do a post on the forum about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I can't believe I still didn't get a key...
    I don't really wanna play it now either if I do...as the learning curve and getting abused I can imagine will be awful as a noob
    Damn you steam !! I give them so much love...(and moneyz) ...and they never reward me :(

I've used mouse3 (middle mouse button) for voicecomms for the last 10 years or so. Im not changing that habit for dota 2 :) So i find it incredibly frustrating to play it and any time i speak, the screen to screenaccelerate it off to one side..

I turned camera accelerate down to 0. But even at zero there is still an element of accelerate to it. Its massively irritating, its the only moba/rts ive played that has this feature and gives me a bloody headache. I find it incredible that there is no on/off toggle for it.

oh yeh, almost forgot, You have to actually click/press a key to level? what the hell is that about? WHY would they introduce that. Hugely irritating. If i level, i just want to press the ability i want to level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

oh yeh, almost forgot, You have to actually click/press a key to level? what the hell is that about? WHY would they introduce that. Hugely irritating. If i level, i just want to press the ability i want to level up.

The hero levels automatically, it just doesn't automatically highlight a skill to level up, you have to press o to do that. Seems like it'd be pretty annoying to accidentally skill something up that you meant to activate if you level during a team fight, or expect to activate the skill but level it instead and die (if you were trying to phase shift as Puck or something).

As well as that, at least one hero I can think of off the top of my head wants to leave points unlevelled rather than spend them on anything for the early game (Skeleton King), and there are probably others I can't think of.

I normally don't humor them to be honest, are you around this evening ?
    well i might be able to play one just, am around tomorrow. gf hogging pc for skyrim today probably but can get one in after.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    I can't believe I still didn't get a key...
    I don't really wanna play it now either if I do...as the learning curve and getting abused I can imagine will be awful as a noob
    Damn you steam !! I give them so much love...(and moneyz) ...and they never reward me :(
    You will be abused but don't mind it, I am **** but will help you and so will others here, just play in a group. Look up some tutorials.
    I've used mouse3 (middle mouse button) for voicecomms for the last 10 years or so. Im not changing that habit for dota 2 :) So i find it incredibly frustrating to play it and any time i speak, the screen to screenaccelerate it off to one side..

I turned camera accelerate down to 0. But even at zero there is still an element of accelerate to it. Its massively irritating, its the only moba/rts ive played that has this feature and gives me a bloody headache. I find it incredible that there is no on/off toggle for it.

I HATE when games dont let you bind to whatever you want so I know your frustration...especially with my keys for fps being a bit...special.

hopefully when gobear posts about it they will fix it for you, it's what a beta is for after all. did you try/detest cs:go yet? :p

that clicking to level up is retarded.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The hero levels automatically, it just doesn't automatically highlight a skill to level up, you have to press o to do that. Seems like it'd be pretty annoying to accidentally skill something up that you meant to activate if you level during a team fight, or expect to activate the skill but level it instead and die (if you were trying to phase shift as Puck or something).

As well as that, at least one hero I can think of off the top of my head wants to leave points unlevelled rather than spend them on anything for the early game (Skeleton King), and there are probably others I can't think of.

what do you leave them unlevelled for? just dont bother with a level of crit/life steal at all for a higher stun/ulti?

surely just using the keybinds instead of pressing the spell? Dont think ive ever pressed a spell button.

that clicking to level up is retarded.

Why do you think it's retarded out of interest? I pointed out a couple of reasons for it being there in my last post (bottom of previous page).

And i replied to that post before you wrote that post :pac:

i can see it having use for poeple that click all right, which would be people new to the game and those that prefer it, but id like to turn it off.

And i replied to that post before you wrote that post :pac:

i can see it having use for poeple that click all right, which would be people new to the game and those that prefer it, but id like to turn it off.

You genrally don't wanna level lifesteal on SK early as it pushes the lane, and its a toss up between crits and stats depending on how good the enemy is at harassing, another is Jugger, I take spin and stats as you don't have enough mana for heal at low levels

yes but you still use the points, would you ever just leave the point for a level? I used to and dont bother any more. I get a ring early on SK anyway and with vampiric i creep pull. still prob best not to get it. i made a big mistake of not getting stats on jugger, not even enough mana to ulti+spin for soooooo long.

• Advertisement

Some players take stun and leave the points unlevelled on SK for a while, then take all of the points and put them into lifesteal at level 8-9 or so, so the lane hasn't been pushed out during the early game but then when they start to do teamfights or whatever they have the lifesteal.

Anyway I've never had a problem just tapping o then the skill hotkey, only takes a fraction of a second. I wasn't talking about those who click the spell at all.

if you werent talking about clicking the spell then how could people ever accidentally level up in a team fight as you were suggesting etc? Personally see no point for it unless poeple click to use spells, which they shouldn't. As you say it's not much of a problem, it was the same in dota 1 afaik. Just dont think it should be there or at least have a cvar you can set to 0, as although it's not too annoying it's a click for no reason. However there are far bigger issues for them to worry about.

if you werent talking about clicking the spell then how could people ever accidentally level up in a team fight as you were suggesting etc? Personally see no point for it unless poeple click to use spells, which they shouldn't. As you say it's not much of a problem, it was the same in dota 1 afaik. Just dont think it should be there or at least have a cvar you can set to 0, as although it's not too annoying it's a click for no reason. However there are far bigger issues for them to worry about.

I don't get what you're saying at all. Dustaz was complaining about having to press a button before you level the skill - I was explaining the advantages this provides. Do you really not see how people could accidentally level a skill if you just levelled up and the next time you pressed the skill button it levelled it? Am I completely misunderstanding all of this? :confused:

did you try/detest cs:go yet? :p

Not yet, Willing to give it a shot since theres nothing else fps wise that i enjoy, but ill probably hate it :)
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I don't get what you're saying at all. Dustaz was complaining about having to press a button before you level the skill - I was explaining the advantages this provides. Do you really not see how people could accidentally level a skill if you just levelled up and the next time you pressed the skill button it levelled it? Am I completely misunderstanding all of this? :confused:

I think you're misunderstanding the point. In EVERY other moba game (including dota1 iirc), when you leveled up, you clicked a DIFFERENT button to skill up the skill. Usually it was an additional button that appeared above the skill. In most of the games, this could be bound as well, in lol its ctrl-<skill button>.

If for some reason (and i dont think theres any reason ever to not get spend a skill point) you didnt want to spend it, you just leave it levelled and click it mass times when you want to.

Yeh sure, its just one extra click. Why though? Like Tar said, its retarded.

Also, when i say click, i mean click/keypress

Ah, I get you now. I don't see any reason why they couldn't allow both ways of doing it, hopefully the way you want it bound gets implemented.

Dota 1 you have to click the plus button then level the skill, the hotkey for which is o, so it's very similar to Dota 2.

edit: And just to point out, if you're using the hotkeys which I presume the vast majority of mid-level and upwards players do, it's the same amount of button presses to level it either holding ctrl then pressing the skill or tapping o then pressing it, right?

yes that would be the same amount of keys and is pointless. You had to press o in dota 1 afaik but that was probably due to modding limitations and not bad UI design.

It would be trivial to make it so when you use a hotkey for a spell it would actually cast the spell even when you had level points to spend and when you want to level up you physically click the spell (you dont even need the extra button like in hon). I think this is where we misunderstood one another.

However not everybody uses hotkeys so this extra button is very good and the best option, but I would like the option to turn off/on the extra button and just have it so I could click the spell key to level up. Still i wouldnt really need the ability to turn off the button would just be my personal favourite and it might confuse people!

Yeah I understand now. Personally I think it's a good idea to get used to using hotkeys in as many situations as possible rather than clicking spell icons etc., but that'd be a better option than the current UI for players who'd prefer to click to level up rather than use a hotkey. Trivial to put it in as a toggle anyway as you said.

Did you really have to press o to level in the original dota? Its been so long since I've played it that i just dont remember that. The more elegant solutions provided by HoN/Lol/BLC have obviously blinded me to its outdated design.

And thats the point about dota 2 in general. From even before i got the beta i smelled a rat from reading about it. Fair play to Icefrog (thats his name right?) for perfecting the genre in its first incarnation, but he has done absolutely zero to advance the gametype. Im sure dota 2 will appeal to those who still play dota 1 as its pretty much just dota with new graphics. HoN refined dota far more and he copied some but not all of that. LoL forked the road even more and introduced ideas to the genre that some people love and some people hate but icefrog didnt even think about actually innovating at all.

Watching the blizzard guys talk about blizzard dota and playing dota 2, the total gulf in creativity is astonishing. Icefrog took a good idea and ran with it. But he has run out of breath, he has nothing more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Still no key :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Did you really have to press o to level in the original dota? Its been so long since I've played it that i just dont remember that. The more elegant solutions provided by HoN/Lol/BLC have obviously blinded me to its outdated design.

And thats the point about dota 2 in general. From even before i got the beta i smelled a rat from reading about it. Fair play to Icefrog (thats his name right?) for perfecting the genre in its first incarnation, but he has done absolutely zero to advance the gametype. Im sure dota 2 will appeal to those who still play dota 1 as its pretty much just dota with new graphics. HoN refined dota far more and he copied some but not all of that. LoL forked the road even more and introduced ideas to the genre that some people love and some people hate but icefrog didnt even think about actually innovating at all.

Watching the blizzard guys talk about blizzard dota and playing dota 2, the total gulf in creativity is astonishing. Icefrog took a good idea and ran with it. But he has run out of breath, he has nothing more to offer.

The problem is their is such a siege mentality in the community, change is always seen as making the game "casual". The beta forums are a mess between between with their fingers in their ears screaming "Lalalalalala CASUAL FAG GO PLAY LOL" over valid points that are being completely ignored. It's just the oddest development cycle iv ever seen, generally iterations tend to go off and improve on their former self where as the attitude here seems to be "This game is perfect don't change anything".

Tbh im looking forward to Blizzards take on the genre, I think they seem to "get" the idea that these sort of games can be a bit of fun and a laugh while still being somewhat serious at times.

Advertisement