Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

• 24-09-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Picking up on a point raised by Ramette, lets see if there is any interest in a thread for 'stuff you don't understand about computers and the internet'.

'How do I...?' 'what does this mean...?' Any questions you want to ask but are worried that you will look stupid, well you won't, we all had to start sometime.

Serious, sympathetic answers only. No messing, or smart remarks. No jargon answers or bunches of initials unless you explain them.

As you use a computer you get to a stage where, if you don't understand something, you know how to find the answer. At the start though it can all be a bit of a mystery, and there is no obvious way of figuring it out. If you are at that stage, this is the place to ask!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I hope nobody reads this and i think i've looked everywhere what is the 'signature' on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look at one of Old Goat's posts, he has a banner affair about 'Boards photography yearbook' and also a list of forum charters. That is his signature.

If you can't see it it is probably because you have the signature tick box unticked in your user control panel.

- Go to Boards.ie in the menu bar at the top of the page. Click on 'Control Panel' on the dropdown menu'.

- Under 'Your Control Panel' - 'Settings and Options' - click on 'Edit Options'. You will find the Signature tick box in there.

If you want to create a signature you can do it in 'Edit signature' in the Settings and Options box.

When you make any changes you have to go alllllllll the way to the bottom of the page and click 'save changes'.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well I do have trouble with multi quote. No biggie as I just post more than once or cut and paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Rubecula wrote: »
    Well I do have trouble with multi quote. No biggie as I just post more than once or cut and paste.

Multi Quote is an easy one Rube....firstly, click the quotes you want to reply to, using the "multi quote" icon to the right of the post (the one with the inverted comma and the plus sign...then click "post reply" which is the icon at the bottom of the page of the thread you wish to reply to..

all the quotes appear in your reply- just like I have them below...you can edit these quotes to just concentrate on the text you want to reply to by deleting the rest of the unnecessary text...

looksee wrote: »
    Picking up on a point raised by Ramette, lets see if there is any interest in a thread for 'stuff you don't understand about computers and the internet'.

'How do I...?' 'what does this mean...?' Any questions you want to ask but are worried that you will look stupid, well you won't, we all had to start sometime.

Serious, sympathetic answers only. No messing, or smart remarks. No jargon answers or bunches of initials unless you explain them.

As you use a computer you get to a stage where, if you don't understand something, you know how to find the answer. At the start though it can all be a bit of a mystery, and there is no obvious way of figuring it out. If you are at that stage, this is the place to ask!
    paddyandy wrote: »
    I hope nobody reads this and i think i've looked everywhere what is the 'signature' on boards.ie.
    Look at one of Old Goat's posts, he has a banner affair about 'Boards photography yearbook' and also a list of forum charters. That is his signature.

If you can't see it it is probably because you have the signature tick box unticked in your user control panel.

- Go to Boards.ie in the menu bar at the top of the page. Click on 'Control Panel' on the dropdown menu'.

- Under 'Your Control Panel' - 'Settings and Options' - click on 'Edit Options'. You will find the Signature tick box in there.

If you want to create a signature you can do it in 'Edit signature' in the Settings and Options box.

When you make any changes you have to go alllllllll the way to the bottom of the page and click 'save changes'.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that Cicero that was pretty good info I will have to give it a go soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

How do you do this thingy? Where someone writes click here and it goes into another link? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Good thread.

I can't post photos or do links.

I've read instructions on these things, but can't seem to take it in.

Guess I need to 'borrow' some younger person for an hour or so....

*Looks out window*

chucken1 wrote: »
    How do you do this thingy? Where someone writes click here and it goes into another link? :o

Click on "post reply" (as opposed to the quick reply icon)- this will give you the larger reply menu...

select the word you wish to post a link to by highlighting it with your mouse (left click and highlight as if you're about to bold it)

Look at your reply menu...one of the icons is a globe with a link on it

while keeping the word you want highlighted, click on the globe/link icon..up will pop a box where you input the URL you want..for example...O&O Forum....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1480

click OK...the word is now a "clickable link"....like this one.... here

you can colour the word as well if you want to. The word will appear with a line underneath it indicating that it's a clickable link

Well! There's a thing, thanks Cicero, I had tried to sort out the multiple quote thing but without success. I don't often have need of it, but I had been trying to be much too complicated!

Well! There's a thing, thanks Cicero, I had tried to sort out the multiple quote thing but without success. I don't often have need of it, but I had been trying to be much too complicated!

No worries..:)

BTW folks , there's a lot of help on boards for boards related queries like the ones above..

Top 10 Questions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056232089

Some more help here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056265452

I'm no expert at all but feel free to ask your Question in this thread and I know someone will eventually answer it for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi guys. There's also a lot of information and "how to" guides in the FAQ here.

Thanks Zaph, is it user friendly for old fogeys like us? Many of us need help in finding the keyboard, our dentures, glasses and wooden legs let alone understanding some stuff.

Thanks for the link though, It will be useful for those who have yet to find it.

Yes, you see you get so many answers on the faqs pages, its much easier to just cope with one at a time!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks Zaph, is it user friendly for old fogeys like us? Many of us need help in finding the keyboard, our dentures, glasses and wooden legs let alone understanding some stuff.

Thanks for the link though, It will be useful for those who have yet to find it.

It's split into sections, including one called "How do I..." which may be useful for some people. I appreciate however that there's a lot on the page and it could be a bit daunting for some. However there's always plenty of people around to assist, and don't forget that Shield and Spear are great at explaining stuff in the Newbies & FAQ forum. :)

Cicero wrote: »
    Multi Quote is an easy one Rube....firstly, click the quotes you want to reply to, using the "multi quote" icon to the right of the post (the one with the inverted comma and the plus sign...then click "post reply" which is the icon at the bottom of the page of the thread you wish to reply to..

all the quotes appear in your reply- just like I have them below...you can edit these quotes to just concentrate on the text you want to reply to by deleting the rest of the unnecessary text...
    Thanks for that Cicero that was pretty good info I will have to give it a go soon.

Is this how it is done Cicero?

Wow it worked perfectly Ty.

Ha!...well done Rube...you've got the hang of it..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Alice1

Cicero wrote: »
    Ha!...well done Rube...you've got the hang of it..:)

Hm, just trying - not sure about it still

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Great thread :D

Can I ask how I find out what my computer is currently whirring away at at any given time

there are occasions when its really slow, the little lights flash and on screen I get the egg timer or equivalent telling me its "thinking" but on what? cos when I press Ctrl Alt Del the panel tells me what I already know to be open, so whats slowing it down??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Alice1

BB, maybe it is just cooling down - does it get very warm?

Orrr, it could be updating something (mine does that sometimes)

Orrr, maybe it is just getting old like us:D

whirrr whirrrr

dials spinning:D

you could be right, yes sometimes its downloading an update to my security thing - Macafee, but other times its not and I worry its copying my stuff to some hacker somewhere on the other side of the world or giving me a virus or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Recently, in my answer to a post, I wanted to refer readers to another post on boards.ie. Gave up as I had no idea how to do that. I had to use the search facility to find the other post myself, found it but couldn't work out how to make a link to it.

How do I .......?

odds_on wrote: »
    Recently, in my answer to a post, I wanted to refer readers to another post on boards.ie. Gave up as I had no idea how to do that. I had to use the search facility to find the other post myself, found it but couldn't work out how to make a link to it.

How do I .......?

hi Odds on...your post on any thread has a number..your post in this thread is 22 ...you'll see that in the top right hand corner of your post...click on 22...a window/tab will open with your post in it....copy the link and paste it into your reply wherever you're replying to...

Testing .. 1, 2, 3, Testing .....

showthread.php?p=74902454#post74902454

Just pasted the link here and in the preview it automatically made a link:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74902454#post74902454

Here I used the "link" button -"insert link" on the tool bar above; actually did this before just pasting the link in the test above:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74902454#post74902454

Seems funny that as the link is in boards.ie, we still have to use the full address - http://www.boards.ie ..........

Thanks anyway Cicero; much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

BBDBB wrote: »
    whirrr whirrrr

dials spinning:D

you could be right, yes sometimes its downloading an update to my security thing - Macafee, but other times its not and I worry its copying my stuff to some hacker somewhere on the other side of the world or giving me a virus or something

well there you go, you found the answer all on your own :)
    seriously McAfee is the biggest pile of resource hungry piece of shít out there and you should think of ditching it
    I deal with it in where i work and we just hate it, it is really bad for slowing pc's especially if they are old when it does a scan
    get rid of it and download the free anti-virus Microsoft Security Essentials
    Surprisingly considering it comes from MS it is very good and unobtrusive and it is what all my fellow IT colleagues use at home

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

ha ha i was about to post the same question about the pc making a lot of noise but no action (now what does that remind me off?:P)
    I have MacFee too:(

I guess i load the other antivirus software first before deinstalling mcfee?

Personally, I'd download another antivirus (I have been using Avast Antivirus (Free version) for more than 8 years and find it great).

Then disconnect from the internet, remove your current AV and the install the new AV.

Finally, reconnect to the internet and allow the new AV to update itself.

P.S. Don't have two AVs running at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

odds_on wrote: »
    Personally, I'd download another antivirus (I have been using Avast Antivirus (Free version) for more than 8 years and find it great).
    ........................................................................................................

P.S. Don't have two AVs running at the same time.

Ditto. Avast is very popular and brilliant.

Everything on my computer is working fine. I can go through my various files at a faster speed than I really need.

However my internet connection speed is getting slower by the day for some reason. (It has always been slow due to things outside my control.) but in the last week it has gone so slow I go and make a cup of tea and have a bite to eat while I am waiting, and it seems to have trouble doing two things at once.

(I like to listen to music while I potter around on here, but there are a lot of 'breaks' and stop starts.

Not sure what I can do about it, any ideas that may help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ramette wrote: »
    ha ha i was about to post the same question about the pc making a lot of noise but no action (now what does that remind me off?:P)
    I have MacFee too:(

I guess i load the other antivirus software first before deinstalling mcfee?

No, remove the mcafee first, this will usually require a mcafee removal tool you download, its called mcpr (McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool) and can be found here, along with instructions. Mcafee is very rescource heavy as other said.

The removal tool download link is halfway down the page in the windows xp instructions.

Advertisement