Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The official Christmas FM thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

@VanZan, Its a mixture of both, main stream well known songs. Mariah, Bill Crosby and Sinatra would be all great examples of A list songs. Not so much the darkness, but we played it a few times last year. There isn't much unknown stuff to be honest, but we do have a song contest to try to get new Artists into the mainstream and try to support them. So there will be a couple you might not have heard of.

Check out www.ChristmasFM.ie and you can stream a 30 min sample on the listen live section.

Just as long as you don't play the Ronan Keating version of Fairytale of New York. I lose all faith in a radio station if they play that monstrosity instead of the original classic :D

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Ronan Keating did WHAT??? :eek:

I'm going off to seriously consider changing my name, followed by a ban on that cd ever entering the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ronan Keating did WHAT??? :eek:

I'm going off to seriously consider changing my name, followed by a ban on that cd ever entering the studio.

Eh I'm fairly sure it was played on Christmas FM last year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

im going to show my age here but what about

A winter's Tale by David Essex
    and
    Jingle Bell, Jingle Bell, rock..........

on a more sombre note :D:D

drummer boy
    and
    o holy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

I posted this question on another Christmas thread and was told I might get my answer here, so can anyone tell me why we cant get christmas FM in wicklow?? I love listening in online but would be great to have it in the car for the kids!!
    You can get the frequency in such a wide area of places, even county wexford, just down the road from us but we cant get it at all :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

@angel_wings Yup South east will be on 103.8FM

@janeybabe eek I didn't even know it existed, but theres a team of us in xmas fm, So i'll mobilise the troops in revolt against insulting such a classic.

Everyone else more good news, we'll have an iphone app so for those outside our coverage and abroad can tune in. More details to follow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

VanZan wrote: »
    Just as long as you don't play the Ronan Keating version of Fairytale of New York. I lose all faith in a radio station if they play that monstrosity instead of the original classic :D
    God, please please don't play this! :pac:
    The line "you scumbag, you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard" never fails to make me want to throw the radio out a window. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

@angel_wings Yup South east will be on 103.8FM

@janeybabe eek I didn't even know it existed, but theres a team of us in xmas fm, So i'll mobilise the troops in revolt against insulting such a classic.

Everyone else more good news, we'll have an iphone app so for those outside our coverage and abroad can tune in. More details to follow.

That's great news about the app, I'm looking forward to tuning in and pledging money for the charity this year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Posy wrote: »
    The line "you scumbag, you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard" never fails to make me want to throw the radio out a window. :p

Me too, but only when it's keating singing it.:p

It's different when you listen to Kirsty in this version.

RIP Kirsty...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Anything with Frank Sinatra:
    It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
    I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Driving home for Christmas- Chris Rea

Posy wrote: »

are they the actual words

I always thought it said you scumbag you maggot you cheap lousy fa**ot.

am I the only one that hates this song.

couldn't stand it when I heard it first, can't stand it now. and will never be able to stand it. I turn the radio off when I hear it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Originally Posted by Posy viewpost.gif
    God, please please don't play this! pacman.gif
    The line "you scumbag, you maggot, you're cheap and you're haggard" never fails to make me want to throw the radio out a window

are they the actual words

I always thought it said you scumbag you maggot you cheap lousy fa**ot.

am I the only one that hates this song.

couldn't stand it when I heard it first, can't stand it now. and will never be able to stand it. I turn the radio off when I hear it.

You're lyrics are correct Dolphin, the Lyrics Posy mentioned feature in the Ronan Keating cover version of the song, a version we shall never speak of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ronan, is there a pic of the Christmas Jumpers?

Also, where will you be selling them?

lockie1983 wrote: »
    You're lyrics are correct Dolphin, the Lyrics Posy mentioned feature in the Ronan Keating cover version of the song, a version we shall never speak of again.

That's right Keating changed the lyrics. With his wholesome image he couldn't be seen to be singing a swear word! Oh No! only bad people swear. The egomaniac thought he could take a classic, change the lyrics and get away with it. All this not taking into the account he can't even sing in the first place.

That's right Keating changed the lyrics. With his wholesome image he couldn't be seen to be singing a swear word! Oh No! only bad people swear. The egomaniac thought he could take a classic, change the lyrics and get away with it. All this not taking into the account he can't even sing in the first place.

In Ronan's defence the original lyrics were prob offensive to Stephen! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Stop the cavalry by Jona Lewie.

you know the one ...wish i was at home for christmas......:)

littlemis wrote: »

I'm confused...why have people started suggesting Christmas songs all of a sudden? Wasn't that last year? It seems to have started after I mentioned Ronan Keating. The competition is over!

did he have the lisshpp on him singing it - he's such a plonker

oh ya, I remember that - brilliant.

• Advertisement

Interesting fact, that was never meant to be a Christmas record, although it mentioned Christmas in it, the artist wanted to release it in April, however the record company talked him out of it and they released it closer to Christmas and incorporated Christmas images into the music video.

I'm confused...why have people started suggesting Christmas songs all of a sudden? Wasn't that last year? It seems to have started after I mentioned Ronan Keating. The competition is over!

Oh I am so sorry to cause you such confusion,I men't to put it under the favorite song section, But as a matter of interest, as you say the competition is over, and it was so last year,why did you bring it up this year ????or have I misinterpreted.:)

Oh I am so sorry to cause you such confusion,I men't to put it under the favorite song section, But as a matter of interest, as you say the competition is over, and it was so last year,why did you bring it up this year ????or have I misinterpreted.:)
    All I wrote was I didn't want them playing Ronan Keating this year.

Interesting fact, that was never meant to be a Christmas record, although it mentioned Christmas in it, the artist wanted to release it in April, however the record company talked him out of it and they released it closer to Christmas and incorporated Christmas images into the music video.

Just goes to show ,I do learn something new every day,,,Thank you.:)I still love it though,but then I am a sucker for anything to do with Christmas..;)

Just goes to show ,I do learn something new every day,,,Thank you.:)I still love it though,but then I am a sucker for anything to do with Christmas..;)

Me too!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Will there be any testing before November 29th or will it just appear on launch day? Best of luck to all the team involved.:)

Will there be any testing before November 29th or will it just appear on launch day? Best of luck to all the team involved.:)

Well the iphone Christmas FM App has already started playing Christmas songs!! I love listening to it at night when I'm tucked up in a nice warm bed!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

1. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues

2. Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bell's End) - The Darkness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Well the iphone Christmas FM App has already started playing Christmas songs!! I love listening to it at night when I'm tucked up in a nice warm bed!! :D
    Guess i will have to listen on my internet radio if i can't pick it up on fm here in Tipp.

Advertisement