Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardening Bargain Alerts Mega Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Got 4 cyclamen plants in Aldi for 4 4.49.I normally pay 10euro for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

Aldi are doing evergreen shrubs for less than €3 and also their big terracotta pots are half price were €6.50 now €3.30 picked up two for myself might get more nxt week if there are any left

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

cora09 wrote: »
    Aldi are doing evergreen shrubs for less than €3 and also their big terracotta pots are half price were €6.50 now €3.30 picked up two for myself might get more nxt week if there are any left

Cora,
    got a half dozen of those pots last year, they're useless if the frost attacks. Just a warning, but all mine fell asunder, first they started to get crumbly, chipping, cracking and then just broke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

headmaster wrote: »
    Cora,
    got a half dozen of those pots last year, they're useless if the frost attacks. Just a warning, but all mine fell asunder, first they started to get crumbly, chipping, cracking and then just broke up.

Thanks for telling me - I better keep the 2 i have indoors then.. I was gonna use one for the xmas tree anyways and we need a house plant somewhere around the place to bring a bit of life in from the garden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Rhubarb Crown/Strawberry Plants/Asparagus Crown

... in Lidl next Thursday ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/4182_14012.htm

• Advertisement

Roses in Lidl tomorrow (Thursday 5th October) - 3 euro each. I mailed them and here is the list ...

FRAGRANT ROSE VARIETIES

BUSH ROSES
    ARTHUR BELL
    ALECS RED
    BLESSINGS
    BLUEMOON
    DEEP SECRET
    FRAGRANT CLOUD
    MISTER LINCOLN
    PEER GYNT
    ENGLISH MISS
    DEAREST
    KORESSIA
    MARGARET MERRIL
    REINE DES VIOLETTES

CLIMBING ROSES
    ARTHUR BELL
    ENA HARKNESS
    COMPASSION
    GUINEE
    GALWAY BAY
    SCHOOL GIRL

SHRUB ROSES
    ROSA RUGOSA ALBA

Monday 17th in Lidl ...
    Triple Pack Bare Root Fruit Bushes
    3 Pack
    Blackcurrant, Raspberry or Redcurrant
    2.99 each
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/4182_14313.htm

Hedging plants in Aldi - 5 euro for 10 ...

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_19178.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

redser7 wrote: »
    Hedging plants in Aldi - 5 euro for 10 ...

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_19178.htm

How big will these hedging plants be does anyone know, and will it be ok to plant them out at this time of year?
    (I'm a novice so advice would be appreciated)

It doesn't say but certainly they will be bareroot. They'll probably be about 2-3 foot whips, which means they are basically a stick with a few slim branches and a few leaves with the roots wrapped in sacking and some compost. They won't look impressive at all but don't be put off, bareroot is the best way to go. Potted plants can sometimes be pot bound, meaning the roots will have grown too much for the small container they are in. And they are alot more expensive. Bareroot will have been recently dug up at a nursery. This is the perfect time of the year for planting as the plants will be dormant. Dig a trench, add some well rotted manure or compost, with a sprinkling of something like bonemeal mixed into the bottom of the trench and put the soil back in, firming the soil with your heal. Give thema good water. Google around and you'll get better instructions. Of course garden centres and nurseries will probably supply better plants but at the price I reckon it's worth a punt. Alot of poeple have good things to say about Aldi/Lidl plants. But be sure to pick them up as soon as they are on sale so they don't stand in the dry store conditions too long.
    I planted privet this time last year and they looked pathetic going in. They came on great in the last year and I know by next summer they will be nice and full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Everything int he shop is 1.49 and boy have i taken advantage of it. got fruit bushes, bulbs,planters, pots, grow trays, compost, gloves, feed, etc etc. basically i spend 30 quid on what would have cost me about a hundred in a normal shop. GREAT value. I have gone in twice since.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mrswalton

Which shop in Blanch? Is there a shop Dealz? Sorry i'm not being smart.

yes its called Dealz beside Lidl in the retail park

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Everything int he shop is 1.49 and boy have i taken advantage of it. got fruit bushes, bulbs,planters, pots, grow trays, compost, gloves, feed, etc etc. basically i spend 30 quid on what would have cost me about a hundred in a normal shop. GREAT value. I have gone in twice since.

Thanks so much for that! Went yesterday and got a LOT of stuff for €40. Highly recommend a visit. :)

Just bought an 8w heated propagator in B&Q for 12 euro. Nice size, a bit bigger than the older one. Got the older one a couple of weeks ago and it is great, virtually free to run. Paid 17.50 for that so whipped up the new 'Verve' version. Verve seems to be their new rebranded own-brand line of products.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

If anyone in Cork is looking for such deals there is one of these shops opening next to Argos in town soon. Also much of the same stuff for the same price is in the 2 Euro shop near the English Market on Oliver Plunkett street.

I remember some people asked about these Lidl min/max indoor/outdoor thermometers for greenhouses before. I got one and found it great. Were marketed in the gardening section in the past before but in the car section now. Same thermometer ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-1B8F7791-E4815ABD/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_18188.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

redser7 wrote: »
    I remember some people asked about these Lidl min/max indoor/outdoor thermometers for greenhouses before. I got one and found it great. Were marketed in the gardening section in the past before but in the car section now. Same thermometer ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-1B8F7791-E4815ABD/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_18188.htm

Are you sure that this one is a max min ?

It's identical to the one I have, but best off to check the packaging first I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Stopped off in Dealz today - basically it's poundland, if anyone knows that chain from Britain (1.49land obviously wasn't catchy enough). Picked up a few bits and could've got a lot more. It is great value, the only caveat is that if you have to drive any great distance and/or pay tolls, a lot of the stuff can be picked up in the euro2 places. However, there's definitely a few things that I've logged to memory for later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Aldi have assorted bulbs , all priced @ €1.49 per packet.
    Contents range from 4 up to 60 bulbs. Excellent value, got about 15 packets today, keep herself busy !

Secman

I have since found out that all the dafodil bulbs i got in january were duds or else they all died. i suspect duds. what are the chances they would all die. all the tulips are fine tho..strange. i mean the ones i got in dealz by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Aldi's have Buxus Pyramid Trees 50cm in height for sale for $10.99 today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rebelden wrote: »
    Aldi's have Buxus Pyramid Trees 50cm in height for sale for $10.99 today.

7 euro in Ikea.:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

Right Paddy only one problem I live as per name in the rebel county :p.

Ah god no??.:P:D

• Advertisement

All joking aside,that Lidl price of 10 euro 99 cents is still a good price.:)

Advertisement