Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

HI I want to apply thru CAO as a mature student for arts. I have a couple of questions..maybe someone can help..
    I will have only 1 choice down on my cao..is that ok or will they expect lots more?
    Also what happens after that?
    What do I need to prepare for an interview?
    I hope to get backt o education allow,when do I apply for grants and what am I allowed to get?
    Also any other info that I may have missed would be super great~!

Thanks.

You can of course put down only one choice on the CAO. But it is limiting yourself to just the one course. I would have a back up course down. (Colleges cannot see other choices you have made on the CAO application or at what preference they are at.)

After you send in your application before 1st February you will get a receipt of your application from the CAO and the college. Depending on the college and the course, you could be called for an interview sometime between April-June. If successful, you will be offered a place. If not offered a place you may get one in the 2nd round of offers.

Have you looked at my previous post regarding interview with mature student applications? Have a read of that and post back with any more questions.

With the grants, (I'm not fully up to speed on this area) the application forms aren't released till sometime in June or July I think. If you look up http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/higher_education_grants_scheme and http://www.studentfinance.ie/ it gives a lot of information about grants.

I would also check out last year's application form and see what information you need to supply such as P60s, proof of Social Welfare payments, certified proof of ID, proof of living away from home, rent receipts etc. etc.

Sort out your CAO application first, then when that's done and dusted, start working on your grant application as the information required for that is ridiculous and takes a long time to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

HI I want to apply thru CAO as a mature student for arts. I have a couple of questions..maybe someone can help..
    I will have only 1 choice down on my cao..is that ok or will they expect lots more?
    Also what happens after that?
    What do I need to prepare for an interview?
    I hope to get backt o education allow,when do I apply for grants and what am I allowed to get?
    Also any other info that I may have missed would be super great~!

Thanks.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news :confused: but the most recent budget (December 2009) brought some bad news for new applicants (mature or otherwise). If you are in receipt of the Back To Education Allowance, then you will NOT be eligible to apply for the maintenance grant.

This royally sucks for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

"Like any CV for a job, make the CV suit the course you are applying for. Focus mainly on any details which are relevant to the course you are applying to. Don’t have the CV overloaded with information (such as hobbies/interests/achievements) as you get a chance to explain experience etc. in your personal statement and application forms. I would use it to big up educational info and work experience. Limit it to two pages, shorter if possible. The CV is used as a time line of your experience since leaving school – this is my experience from interviews "

I am applying for nursing but as I don’t have any real healthcare experience I feel my CV – all be it a good one isn’t very relevant to the course.

I have written my personal statemement and I think I get my points across better in that than my CV.

To help my application I am doing a part time Intro to Nursing FETAC Level 5 course and I am also volunteering in a local nursing home. i have included all of this in my personal statement. Its hard to big these two up when that is all I have really done. While my CV shows how I have progressed in my line of work I’m not sure what to leave in & what to leave out??:confused::eek:
    Any help is much appreciated!!

You should have your intro to Nursing FETAC course on your CV as part of educational and also your volunteering work also on your CV.

I'm not saying leave out information on your CV, but just big up any relevant information. If you have worked in a job that has dealt with people, involved communication skills, make sure it's on it. Play up the good points.

The intro to Nursing and the volunteering experience will stand well to you.

When I had my interview last year ( and the year before. :o) they asked me what I had been up to since I finished school in 2000. They will want an idea of what you have done since school to try get a better understanding as to why you want to go back to college now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I REALLY should not have missed your part about sending off JC/LC result sheets...accidentally sent off original copy of LC results with PLC grant application in Nov:o so no hope of getting that back anytime soon so i'll have to suffer or get a copy within the next week somehow!:( Never even knew i'd have to send off JC results lol, done that around 9 yrs ago now...

Loving the tips you gave Larianne, taking some stuff down now for doing up my personal statement tonight, i'll have it proof-read tomorrow in college. I DO have a question though: Do i HAVE to apply through the website first to get a CAO number, then send off my postal application before Feb 1st? or can i just send off the relevant information plus form and will get issued a number for correspondence in the post?

I seem to have left alot of this too late at this stage, i actually forgot to fill my CAO form out over the xmas break!:( Let this be a lesson to others...get it done the time really flies in!:o

• Advertisement

Hey,

You don't have to send off your Junior Certificate results (I didn't). It's more for people who haven't done the Leaving Cert. Have you contacted your old school. They should be able to give you a certified copy of your results.

What way do you want to apply? Through on-line or on the form? To be honest, I not sure what way you get your CAO number if applying through paper form. You would be best ringing up the CAO and getting an answer. I applied twice by the CAO online. I can't remember back 10 years with my form in school. :) EDIT: But now that I think about it, if applying through paper application I think you're supplied with a number after. On-line and paper applications are TOTALLY separate.

If you can apply on-line, I think it's a better option. You then can organise your forms and get them in a week or so after 1st Feb.

Try not leave applying on-line until 1st February as the site *mite* crash and that would be just awful.

Make sure to have a look at the two websites I mentioned for personal statements. They will give you an idea of how a personal statement should be laid out.

Paper application MUST be received by the 1st Feb!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Found out what was needed afterall, PLC i'm in right now had a copy of the LC results:) I'm sending it by snail mail as i'll just photocopy whats needed and bundle it all off together...seemingly this year they ask for another €10 administration fee to process your stuff if you apply online, then send paperwork like results etc. And yes, you are sent out a CAO number once they recieve your application by snail mail.

No JC needed aye, good that is! sorted out personal statement too, wrote it up in an hour and a half and will have it proof read tomorrow by my tutor:) Had a look at those sites, turns out my "Tips for applying as a Mature Student" handout from DCU covered what i needed alongside your own tips:) Making it sound good and relevant to more than one course is hard (Athletic Therapy, and Human Nutrition) but i think i got it in the end:D

Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 puckie

Hi Larianne,

Thanks for the great thread!

I have a couple of (probably) stupid questions.

I applied online on Monday night and now I just have to send my supporting documents, thank God I read this thread because I had no idea you had to send a CV! It makes perfect sense of course but I didn't see that anywhere in the CAO handbook. I assumed I just had to send in my exam results and any other items I had specified in the online form.
    So, to the questions:

1: Do you definately need to send in a CV? :)
    2: I completed the personal statement online so I assume I don't need to include this in my posted documents?
    3: Do you have to send the original copy of your LC results? I think I read that a photocopy won't do but I just wanted to check.
    4: I went to NUI Galway for one year and dropped out, I didn't mention this on the application as there didn't seem to be an appropriate place, did I miss something? I assume it's something I can put on my CV anyway, I have no problem disclosing the fact that I dropped out of a third level course already, I was young and stupid and didn't know what I was doing with my life etc... it may work against me though.
    5: I am only 23 since last August and have been in employment for the last 5 years that is totally irrelevant to the course I'm applying (I work in Insurance, applying for an English based course). Do you think this will work against me?
    6: It says in the CAO handbook that you should contact the Mature Student Officer/ Head of Applications in advance of your application, is this essential? I have contacted the admin office of the college I applied to last week asking for contact details but they still haven't replied.
    7: Given that I've already applied when is the latest I can send the supporting docs? I need to contact the insurance institute for exam certs I've since lost.

I'm probably guilty of taking the whole process a little for granted before I read this thread, I sat my leaving cert in 2004 and scored 60 points more than required for this course so I thought that would be the overriding factor in getting accepted or not. Thanks to this thread I can see I was dead wrong so thanks so much and sorry about all the questions!

puckie wrote: »
    So, to the questions:

1: Do you definately need to send in a CV? :)No, one of the courses I applied to last year required it. But it's no harm to have it.
    2: I completed the personal statement online so I assume I don't need to include this in my posted documents?Again, no you don't have to include another personal statement. I suggested writing out the personal statement separate to the application as the online section only allows 1,000 characters which is quite restricting. But if you managed to fit it all in, great!
    3: Do you have to send the original copy of your LC results? I think I read that a photocopy won't do but I just wanted to check. YOu can get a certified copy from your school. They just copy the results and put the school stamp on it. I think because you did your exams recently enough, you don't actually need to send a copy. I did anyway just to be on the safe side. :)
    4: I went to NUI Galway for one year and dropped out, I didn't mention this on the application as there didn't seem to be an appropriate place, did I miss something? I assume it's something I can put on my CV anyway, I have no problem disclosing the fact that I dropped out of a third level course already, I was young and stupid and didn't know what I was doing with my life etc... it may work against me though. I can't remember actually what way the CAO application is laid out, but are you sure there isn't a section about previous courses in the mature student section? This is where you write the year you did.
    5: I am only 23 since last August and have been in employment for the last 5 years that is totally irrelevant to the course I'm applying (I work in Insurance, applying for an English based course). Do you think this will work against me? Everyone is different and every course requirements are different. It's really up to yourself on how you filled out your application form and displayed why you should get a place on the course - whether its through work experience, life experience, other educational experience, hobbies etc. I couldn't tell you for sure.
    6: It says in the CAO handbook that you should contact the Mature Student Officer/ Head of Applications in advance of your application, is this essential? I have contacted the admin office of the college I applied to last week asking for contact details but they still haven't replied. Not essential but contacting them would give you an idea as to what the college could be looking for in an applicant.
    7: Given that I've already applied when is the latest I can send the supporting docs? I need to contact the insurance institute for exam certs I've since lost.As soon as you can, no later than 1st February.

I'm probably guilty of taking the whole process a little for granted before I read this thread, I sat my leaving cert in 2004 and scored 60 points more than required for this course so I thought that would be the overriding factor in getting accepted or not. Thanks to this thread I can see I was dead wrong so thanks so much and sorry about all the questions!

No problem about the questions. I'm happy to help!! I went through this TWICE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 puckie

Thanks so much for the speedy reply! You're a great help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Eleora

Hi Larianne! I wish I read this before I sent my CAO application. What a great help to those who have read on time! Well, you mentioned you are studying a course related to Health Science. I would like to become a Dietitian but since it is not offered in my county, I am taking the route of Health Science. I am not sure if I am doing the right way, though. What careers can you pursue with this in the next 4-5 years? Why did you choose Health Science (related)? You might as well help me in my interview :). Thanks!

Hi Larianne, I just posted you a while ago regarding Health Science. I meant Health Science and Physiology here. Three year course.

Eleora wrote: »
    Hi Larianne! I wish I read this before I sent my CAO application. What a great help to those who have read on time! Well, you mentioned you are studying a course related to Health Science. I would like to become a Dietitian but since it is not offered in my county, I am taking the route of Health Science. I am not sure if I am doing the right way, though. What careers can you pursue with this in the next 4-5 years? Why did you choose Health Science (related)? You might as well help me in my interview :). Thanks!

Have you looked into applying to UK or up in Uni of Ulster (Coleraine)?

Are you applying for the course offered by Sligo IT by any chance? If you completed that you may be able to apply for a postgrad in Dietetics (which has to be done in the UK). But knowing a dietician myself, the dieticians who have completed their training this way never are the same standard as the dieticians who've done the four yr degree course.

I'm not sure what the options are after doing this course. It is something you need to contact the college about and research it as they will ask you something about this in the interview.

Yes, you probably could then go on to do Dietetics maybe in Ireland, but definitely in the UK. But its a long route. You may be eligible for accelerated entry to a course.

I'd suggest emailing the department in DIT, UU and maybe some colleges in the UK and ask if you were to complete this course would it be possible to gain a place on the Dietetics course.

The course in DIT has 3 mature places but the competition for a place is huge. A lot of people with degrees in Science etc. would be applying for a place.

If applying to the UK or Northern Ireland isn't a problem for you I would suggest doing a Access to Science course or some type of pre-University science course this year, get as much work experience as you can and apply next year. (I'm assuming you don't have a degree or experience related to Human Dietetics & Nutrition).

If you need any more help, just PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

question regarding your opening few posts, which are all very helpful thanks.
    Are interviews offered for everybody, or is it it based on previous education and writing good personal statements etc., selling yourself, before you can get half a foot in the door so to speak..

For me I didn't do the leaving cert, left fifth year in 97 and went working in construction, all that's dead and buried now, so I need to re-skill myself. I've a passion for computers always did, self thought in everything I know, Unix, & basic programming etc., but I have no formal training in any of these. Nothing I can relate to in my work life has been anyway computer related so I cant really sell it on the cao form. On paper I've nothing to prove that I have any business in coming into this computer/IT world of education, but at least if I'm guaranteed an interview I can explain myself. Any thoughts, I'm kinda worried !!
    Thanks

BOBBY wrote: »
    question regarding your opening few posts, which are all very helpful thanks.
    Are interviews offered for everybody, or is it it based on previous education and writing good personal statements etc., selling yourself, before you can get half a foot in the door so to speak..

For me I didn't do the leaving cert, left fifth year in 97 and went working in construction, all that's dead and buried now, so I need to re-skill myself. I've a passion for computers always did, self thought in everything I know, Unix, & basic programming etc., but I have no formal training in any of these. Nothing I can relate to in my work life has been anyway computer related so I cant really sell it on the cao form. On paper I've nothing to prove that I have any business in coming into this computer/IT world of education, but at least if I'm guaranteed an interview I can explain myself. Any thoughts, I'm kinda worried !!
    Thanks

It really depends on the course and college. Some departments interview, some don't. I guess to get an interview, you're application does need to stand out to be short listed. And again that depends on how many applied for a place.

Once you have explained in your application why you want to have a career in IT you're in with a chance.

You clever Larianne! Yes, it is in Sligo IT. No, I can't go anywhere else because I have babies. I wish I could just travel and study some other places and pursue the career I want. The Health Science interests me because it is close to Dietetics. What do you think of the future for health promotion? I think this course leads closest to health promotion. Thanks for sharing your brain!icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Is there a list of certain courses whereby you will be able to apply for the BETA.
    I had it on excel format before but cannot find it now
    A friend of my is looking to do a post-grad course.
    Mind you I am thinking of doing one too

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Is there a list of certain courses whereby you will be able to apply for the BETA.
    I had it on excel format before but cannot find it now
    A friend of my is looking to do a post-grad course.
    Mind you I am thinking of doing one too

As above, has anyone any idea where one can get a list of BETA post-graduate courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

As above, has anyone any idea where one can get a list of BETA post-graduate courses.
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7721/postgraduate-courses/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

When do colleges normally send you interview information? If I don't hear after a certain date, should I be worried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

When do colleges normally send you interview information? If I don't hear after a certain date, should I be worried?

normally interviews are held in april i think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cosmic_love

Hi Larianne, I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips, they've been a great help to me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Hello, I recently visited my local citizens information office about going to college as a mature student, part time to get a degree.
    I am in full emlpoyment, thankfully. However this means I get nada, nothing, not a sausage. No grants what so ever.
    I personally know people who are receiving grants to go to college who are unemployed. Here the best bit, one guy told me that he was unemployed for the last 8 months and was 'advised' to remain unemployed for at least a further 4 months to qualify for the grant as he would be then a full year unemployed. Oh yeah my taxes will help pay for that.
    I am strugling with my pin to the collar with big mortgage and kids and I am willing to get a bank loan to fund a further education but I was convinced there would be at least a small grant even 10% but no!
    I s there any financial help out there :confused:

I am not very clued up on grants. I think though as you are in full time employment you are not entitled to anything. Also, I don't think they give assistance to students doing part time courses. (I could be corrected on this though).

The grant system in this country is a disgrace and is totally being bent by many people. But that belongs in a whole other thread.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. It is tough going with the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

hey. i am just looking for a bit of advice. i am 24 and have applied for the 3 year F/T vet nursing course in athlone. i have been called for an interview next week. i am a nervous wreck now after reading some of the posts because i thought i was fairly well prepared but now i dont think i am. these are probably very stupid questions but il ask them anyways..

1. do i need to have copies of my cv and any other courses i did previously(even if there not related). i did 2 P/T childcare courses and a secretarial course years ago. i think i have my certs from the childcare courses but cant find my one from the secretarial course.

2. the only science subject i did in my leaving cert was home economics and now im wondering will this really go against me or not.(damn it for not applying myself more in secondary school) knew it would come back to bite me in the ass some time!

3. i have been working full time for the last couple of years and my manager has said she is more than happy to give me a character reference to bring with me to the interview. is this necessary or not do you think?

any advice or info would be so much appriecated as i am so nervous about the interview, i really want to get the course and need to find out as much as i can so i will be prepared.

also if anyone has done this course already, could they give me there opinions on it.

thanks so much
    amy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

amy85 wrote: »
    hey. i am just looking for a bit of advice. i am 24 and have applied for the 3 year F/T vet nursing course in athlone. i have been called for an interview next week. i am a nervous wreck now after reading some of the posts because i thought i was fairly well prepared but now i dont think i am. these are probably very stupid questions but il ask them anyways..

1. do i need to have copies of my cv and any other courses i did previously(even if there not related). i did 2 P/T childcare courses and a secretarial course years ago. i think i have my certs from the childcare courses but cant find my one from the secretarial course.

2. the only science subject i did in my leaving cert was home economics and now im wondering will this really go against me or not.(damn it for not applying myself more in secondary school) knew it would come back to bite me in the ass some time!

3. i have been working full time for the last couple of years and my manager has said she is more than happy to give me a character reference to bring with me to the interview. is this necessary or not do you think?

any advice or info would be so much appriecated as i am so nervous about the interview, i really want to get the course and need to find out as much as i can so i will be prepared.

also if anyone has done this course already, could they give me there opinions on it.

thanks so much
    amy

I had an interview this past week in DCU - it basically followed the same format as what everyone else is saying - it was more of a chat than an interview - they asked about what I have done since school up to present and then obviously why it is you want to do the course. That question is the key for me - why? If you nail this question then you will give yourself a great chance. My advice is to think out the answer to this before you go - dont just give the usual "i have always been interested" spiel as they have heard that countless times and does not really tell them much. Remember that you only about 15mins or so to convince them so try and show them that you are serious and have thought it out.

As regards copies of your CV and certs you should have already included them with the cao documents and I wouldnt bother bringing them along unless they specifically asked for them.

Science ? Dont worry about it. They know that you are a mature student and wont expect everyone to have all the subjects that say are required if you apply straight after the leaving cert. It is all about convincing them that you have the desire, interest and ambition to put in the work necessary. Do that and you will be fine.

As for the character reference you probably should have included that with the cao documents. I am not sure whether you should give them anything at the interview unless they asked you to. Best thing would be to ring the college and ask their advice.

As regards nerves just be yourself. I was quite nervous myself going in but the interviewers put me at ease straight away to be honest. They were quite nice and came across as approachable as opposed to other times you can get people who give you that standoffish approach were you are afraid to open your mouth.

P.S. one last thing, know about your course and what it entails, optional modules etc. I was asked on that. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

redout wrote: »
    I had an interview this past week in DCU - it basically followed the same format as what everyone else is saying - it was more of a chat than an interview - they asked about what I have done since school up to present and then obviously why it is you want to do the course. That question is the key for me - why? If you nail this question then you will give yourself a great chance. My advice is to think out the answer to this before you go - dont just give the usual "i have always been interested" spiel as they have heard that countless times and does not really tell them much. Remember that you only about 15mins or so to convince them so try and show them that you are serious and have thought it out.

As regards copies of your CV and certs you should have already included them with the cao documents and I wouldnt bother bringing them along unless they specifically asked for them.

Science ? Dont worry about it. They know that you are a mature student and wont expect everyone to have all the subjects that say are required if you apply straight after the leaving cert. It is all about convincing them that you have the desire, interest and ambition to put in the work necessary. Do that and you will be fine.

As for the character reference you probably should have included that with the cao documents. I am not sure whether you should give them anything at the interview unless they asked you to. Best thing would be to ring the college and ask their advice.

As regards nerves just be yourself. I was quite nervous myself going in but the interviewers put me at ease straight away to be honest. They were quite nice and came across as approachable as opposed to other times you can get people who give you that standoffish approach were you are afraid to open your mouth.

P.S. one last thing, know about your course and what it entails, optional modules etc. I was asked on that. Best of luck.

thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. ya i included my cv and details of the other courses i did in my application.but not the character reference so might bring that along anyway. in the letter they sent out to me,it said you can bring along any supporting documents that you have,so thats what got me all stressing about all that.

ya my manager was giving me some advice on what kind of things they might ask etc and what to be clear about when answering things, and when she asked me that question(why did i want to do the course) i couldnt even say why really,bar the whole i have been interested in animals spiel. i just couldnt think of things to say to make me stand out,so think im going to have to work on that one.

one last thing,as reagards what to wear to it,do you need to wear a suit,or is it a bit less formal. just something smart and neat i suppose! i just want to get it right on the day. what im wearing though will really be the last thing im thinking about on the day. haha

thanks again for giving me some tips,its really helped. hopefully you will get your course. when will you hear back whether you get it or not?
    amy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 toffeesfan

hi all
    know im late with this but when applying online as mature student do you need to post copy of leaving cert results,cv etc. also i a have done some evening courses over the last few years,if these are entered on online application do i also need to post copies of certs received?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fifi836

Hey people, some serious advice needed!!!

Larianne got some great tips there, and sorry if im on the wrong post but wondering if anybody here could help me out:confused:
    Just recieved a letter for the mature nursing interview which im super excited about but very nervous at the same time.

I finished my Leaving Cert over 10 yrs ago and didnt do so well in it basically because of lack of study at the time, so im wondering if anybody who has been through the whole interview process has ever had to explain why they didnt achieve a good L.C???? And ive never been to third level college so will this go against me in the interview????

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Great points but..

I applied for a course Called "Internet Technologies" in an "unnamed" I.T

When i entered first year on my first day the "course" had been changed to a "BSC in Computing", which is level 8 instead of level 7....

i went for an interview in the summer before the start of term as being a mature student, but nobody from the college told me of the course change till the first day. They had told some people applying but not us mature students it seems..

Advertisement