Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

That looks very good for a 10 year old mower! Why bother with the guard now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭karlitob

You're right. No need now. Just planning to service it for the season ahead - have a bit of red oxide paint left over from something else so gonna pop that on it.

Never knew it came with one until recently - it’s a real pain of a job to clear the stuff out. Just wanted to add one on to make servicing easier.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭deezell

Its got most of the cover there. I wonder does this bit fit over or inside? its a partial cover for some hyundai hym51spe models,of which some pro lawn were generic clones.

https://power-spares.co.uk/1324007-genuine-replacement-belt-cover_hym460spr-b07_compatible-with-hym460spr-hym510sper/#mz-expanded-view-769513212108

Alternatively, this plastic one (6) for the hym51 looks like it would sit over the metal section partially covering the belt, retained by a bolt (7). Part no is 1143050, there are similar looking ones about, but the previous metal central bolt fixing looks like it's the correct one. Does your mower have that rectangular plated blade holder boss (4)? The cover has a substantial cutout to accommodate it's removal without hammering off this boss, then has two half circle clip on ancillaries covers (8 & 9) to fit snug to the shaft. Very messy design

This looks similar also, but different mounting direct to the deck.

You could probably take a punt, or €15, on this woodies one, mod it to fit over the raised plate. Its for a 46cm, so the side flanges might not reach the deck edge.

Post edited by deezell on

Thanks very much everyone.

Thanks. Appreciate the reply.

• Advertisement

Lidl 20V Lawnmower

Looks like the cordless lawnmower is back. €120 plus two batteries at €40 each plus charger €10 (I think)

Is it a good deal for €210??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hi all

I’ve probably got about quarter of an acre of lawn can anyone recommend a decent self propelled petrol lawnmower with mulcher ideally 53 cm blade

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chenz

Hi All

Recently moved to the countryside and don't have much experience with gardens. Have about 1000m2 of grass in 3 separate sections, mostly flat. From a bit of research it seems I need a self-propelled petrol mower with a decent cut width and large grass collector. Can anyone recommend one that would suit this? Budget is about €400. Ideally looking for something reliable with low maintenance. Thanks

This is probably as much bang for your buck with a 51cm you can get for €400, while still buying from a garden machinery retailer who will directly provide warranty an later maintenance.

if you're in Munster, the coop stores do this Webb brand, 51cm for €399 also, and there's 10% off the first time you sign up to their site.

1000m² probably needs a decent width of cut, you'll walk up to 2.5km to cut it with a 51cm.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chenz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Its that time of year again and I'm servicing my ride on mower (Castelgarden TCR 102 Hydro, 2005), and I can't get it to start.

The battery is well charged up, but when I turn the ignition the flywheel will do about a quarter rotation and then stick; the electrics then start whining as if struggling to turn the engine over.

As I say the battery is well charged; I have also been at the pulleys underneath and they seem to be rotating freely.

Any suggestions on what I should check next?

Take out the spark plug or plugs if its a twin cylinder. Put a little oil in and turn it over. It should turn rapidly without compession. Sometimes cylinders will be slightly stuck lying up. Plug(s) back in and try again. Hopefully you battery wasn't completely discharged lying up, it might not take a full charge until its been cycled a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

Bingo- must make a note of that for next year :)

Still a bit to do to get it ready, but so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I'm trying to figure out which to buy, a Honda 2625 or Stihl 6127? Honda is more expensive but which would be the better mower for large lawn. Anyone have either model?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

I have a Castlegarden Ride on mower, has anybody changed the standard tyres to cope with Soft water logged ground or even put double wheels on back ?

I have the 6127zl in its original Viking brand and colours before Stihl bought the company. It's a big powerful mower, a couple of inches wider cut than the Honda, and a Kw more power in the engine. The Honda does have mulching on a built in lever. Both have similar syncro cutting decks, hydro drive, electric blade clutch, 3650l grass bag, electronic dashboards.

The Stihl has a rugged trailer hitch, it's optional on the Honda. Stihl also has cruise control, automatic blade disengage in reverse (when emptying), with an override to keep the blade engaged during tight manoeuvres. Steel deck on the 6127 is very heavy duty, a bi annual wire underneath wire brushing and coat of rustproof paint, and it will last a lifetime.

It's biggest asset IMO are the huge turf tyres, 20 x 10 inch on the rear, far less likely to skid, slip or damage soft ground, plus giving a more elevated view of the work area. Turning circle is also extremely tight.

Build quality is top notch, far superior to the rickety 20 yo Castelgarden it replaced in 2018. It was too big for its previous owner of 2 years, who had some narrow margins to cut, it eats the acre or more of grass on my coarse and bumpy 2.6 acre site.

Apart from breaking the timing belt catching a poplar root (twice!) I've had no major problems. New battery, drive/deck v belt. I replaced blade shaft bearings (really inexpensive), some v belt idler pulleys and the knives at 7 years old, this was really worthwhile to restore the deck to new condition, removed all rattles and hums from vibrational wear.

Either mower will last a long time, the Honda is sold as a premium machine, some of their economy manufactured ride on models got bad press for component quality, I can't remember which one offhand, but it was a 102cm cut I think.

Thanks for the reply. I have a few other stihl tools which take serious work on the farm/home so might as well match.

Would many buy from the North? There seems to be good savings on lawnmowers compared to the South.

Vats a bit lower up there, but technically you'd have to pay duty if the mower not manufactured there (though it's manufactured in the EU afaik), and of course the exchange rate, which is stiff enough. £4800 is €5750, adjust the vat from 20 to 23% and add 10% duty and its €6484, so cheaper here. I don't know of you're allowed just buy and come south, to save €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i bought my honda 4217 last year from am rentals in newry, they were the cheapest in Ireland by several hundred, delivered too.

Yeah thats who i am looking at. I'd be saving 700-800e for a Stihl delivered versus local shops here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

They were sound to deal with, bank transfer to their Irish account, then delivery a week or so later.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Hi deezal - Im pulling this out off the archives as its time to get the mower up and running again. at the time you advised I did change the fuses but the engine didn't "turn" all lights tec are working. I ended up cutting lawn with push mower the last few cuts of 2023. do you know what other issues its could be - I see on the part list that there are two different microswitches and also a PC board (hoping its not that anyway)

I think I recall this. Clear wiring diagrams like hens teeth. Parts list attached below. I'd start with the starter relay, part 43 page 16. Just cross the two big terminals first to see if it turns it over. If it does, check if the 12v from the key is going to the relay in terminal, there should be a 12v in, and ground, which might be via the chassis. Jumping 12v to this tests the relay. If there's no 12v from the key, you'll have to check that all the interlocks are closed, or open depending on the logic. Seat, brake pedal usually need to be sat in and pressed on to start. They might be fed through the circuit board. Did I post pictures of board circuits before? If you trace the 12v to the key, and its via the board and not there, then thats a problem. If there is 12V at the key, but doesn't go to the relay when turned, then the keyswitch starting contact might be gone, which is not that likely. Check all earth connections are sound, if the relay ground is poor, it will often click by not with enough force to close the high ampere contacts to the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gave that €200 Lidl petrol mower its first spin today, cant fault it, the best pull starter Ive ever used on anything, one soft pull and away you go, 1/3 of a pull even. Lovely effortless height adjustment on it aswell. Bag is a bit small and its narrower than Im used to but Id say it only cost me one or two extra laps of my medium sized suburban lawn. I was done in 20 minutes which is all I want.

Do not like the two flimsy plastic hooks that are all that hold the bag to the mower though, it doesnt let a single blade of grass escape when fitted but Ill be looking for a way to reinforce those before they snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

As a recent cavan man, any thoughts on dealing with the very very wet ground round here? Prior to the move I was thinking about a ride on but looking at the state of the garden after some building work I'm rethinking it. Some of it is on a slope as well. My main concern is avoiding anything that has a pull starter because they and I have insurmountable philosophical differences.

And I thought that it was all 'Stoney grey soil' in those parts. Or maybe that was Monaghan? Anyway, Patrick Kavanagh won't help you, but maybe there's something there or across the wee border that'll fit the bill. Wide cut electric start walk behind mowers are scarce enough, I've a Cobra 51cm with the B&S electric start Engine for steep banks. It's had its issues with starts, poor cable connections the main reason (I'm making up my own cable loom this year, I'm fed up with jiggling spade connectors). Stiga do a robust electric start 51cm that would work well on slopes

https://monaghanhire.com/products/stiga-combi-753se-st170-elec-start-self-drive-steel

Maybe you want a wider cut if you'd been thinking Ride-on, so the Toro time master 76cm electric start is an alternative to a small ride on. It has a twin blade cut, so it does have the complexity of a twin blade ride on, and costs as much as a small one, but it's an option.

There's no getting away from wet ground this minute, my ground is actual turf, as in bog turf. I could dig it and burn it if dry. It sits like a thick skin floating on the swampy morass underneath, (as does the house, on a pontoon of rock and concrete). Rain soaks through very quickly, and its never muddy as there's no clay in it. I can't allow heavy machines on it, but it'll support a car and trailer in dry summer, and my Viking turf tyred ride on any time. 20 years ago the chap across the road drove a tracked machine on his newly acquired site of similar composition, and it sank. I mean sank, almost disappeared. Now thats soft ground.

Is an electric one a waste of time compared to petrol? The lawn area is probably less than half an acre all told... It's all the little reeds that make me think an electric won't have the power.

I'd be inclined to agree, reeds need a fair whack to cut, and a sharp blade. You can get quite large and powerful battery mowers (I presume by electric you meant cordless), but at a highish price. This would be the business.

https://www.toolfix.ie/p/milwaukee-m18f2lm53-122-m18-fuel-53cm-dual-battery-36v-self-propelled-lawn-mower-2x12ah/4933479822?taxdispinc=y

Well I'm happy to deal with a cord on an electric mower. Looking at mowers is making me think of looking at shed, namely "when did this stuff start getting the price of a car/ motorbike?". But then I'm old and stuff was paid for in guineas and shillings.

• Advertisement

The corded ones tend to be small, 35cm cut for a suburban garden and not self propelled. Plenty of time and effort pushing and emptying on a half acre and making sure not to cut the cord. Budget electric start petrol would be generic or pattern brands, such as this 51cm Legacy,

or this affordable Woodies Pro Lawn large 53cm cut for a low €449

Some of these appear under other brands like Hyundai from time to time. I wouldn't be a fan of buying in Woodies, support out of warranty is poor, but you get bang for your buck for a few years at least.

I get the thing about prices viewed from the perspective of being old. I'm well retired at this stage, and I smile wryly at the news of all these monster semi state executive 'packages' that are coming to light. Pensions that you spent 45 years contributing to are only covering existing, with the huge inflation of recent years. I'm lucky to have a few assets that came good recently, but too late for me to go mad at this stage, as I struggle with health. I'm not awake at 5.30am reading this by choice. Like you, I'm horrified by the prices asked for everything from an overnight in a hotel to a fill of heating oil. A person on modest old age means could be in real trouble. On the other hand, it fuels my lifelong hobby of weaselling out a deal or a used bargain, and my habit of building/fixing up everything myself, which might be nearing an end. There's a lot of used value out there if you search and are patient. If I spot anything I'll post.

Advertisement