Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New motor tax and VRT regime. Links + calculations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nodnedlog wrote: »
    Just a quick question re VRT in July.

How will the VRO decide on the correct CO2 figure for your car? I know the COC gives this information and it is in the logbook, but the VRO guy I talked to told me to look on www.mtp.ie for up to date CO2 figures and he had a copy of the mtp handbook.

Also could you argue that your car actually produced lower CO2 than the COC figures? Could you get it tested independently?

If anyone knows could they let me know

Well I'm happy enough if they work off that site. It puts the scenic at 137g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

AudiChris wrote: »
    Is you car already registered in Ireland? If so, then the new CO2 based tax regime won't apply to you. It only applies to cars registered after 1st July.
    Ah few I thought it would apply to all cars after July. Will they still be using the old format for the older cars then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭vectra

When I click on www.mtp.ie
    I am taken there
    but when I try to get on the C02 Emissions section it just hangs there saying "Loading" anyone else having this issue? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Nodnedlog

"When I click on www.mtp.ie
    I am taken there
    but when I try to get on the C02 Emissions section it just hangs there saying "Loading" anyone else having this issue?"

This has happened me also. Leave it a while and try again later. I think it's the volume trying to get on to the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

vectra wrote: »
    When I click on www.mtp.ie
    I am taken there
    but when I try to get on the C02 Emissions section it just hangs there saying "Loading" anyone else having this issue? :confused:

No. it ok for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It didn't load for me in Firefox ("Loading" stuck in centre of page).
    Opened Internet Explorer and it works.
    Bad design!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm using Opera and it works!

But I'll be the first to admit that I have to temporarily change browser regularly because of sites only working for Internet Explorer :(

kbannon wrote: »
    Bad design!

Yup.
    Turned out to be firefox for me as well
    I was quite surprised to see how many cars in class A was there :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kbannon wrote:
    Bad design!

Works fine for me in Firefox- but hung in Internet Explorer. Odd....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

smccarrick wrote: »
    Works fine for me in Firefox- but hung in Internet Explorer. Odd....

What version of Firefox are you using?

• Advertisement

leinad wrote: »
    What version of Firefox are you using?

Firefox/2.0.0.11

smccarrick wrote: »
    Firefox/2.0.0.11

Same as I use .. Still hanging.. Weird aint it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

Same as me too.
    But i use the IE Tab firefox addon.
    I have found that some sites don't like firefox so with this addon all i need to do when they fail to load is click my IE tab button which then immediately solves the problem.
    So i then don't need to go near Internet Explorer ever.
    Just opens site in an IE tab within Firefox, so fools site into thinking it is running in Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Yes I understand Firefox has the ability to use an Interent Explorer 'rendering engine', it appears fine on mine too, latest version from Mozilla, works on Opera too as another poster stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hey,

Don't know if this spreadsheet is worth anything to anyone. Kinda duplicates what E92 has been doing (and many thanks, E92. That's some savage work!).

I've taken all the data straight from the MTP website, so errors and omissions are theirs.

VRT Calculation is my own concoction. I've left the formulae in, if anyone has a better or more accurate way to work out the new VRT, please amend as necessary.
    I can strip the VRT & VAT out of the current new car prices, but I'm having trouble getting the new VRT figure - it's based on the OMSP, which I can't figure out because the OMSP includes the VRT (damn circular logic!). What I've ended up doing is applying the new rate of VRT to the current OMSP.

Working out the new Road Tax rates was simple enough.

Any help or commentary is appreciated.

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Lads,

can ye confirm for me if OMSP is always 92% of RRP?

Cause for any future spreadsheet I want to have the most accurate calculation for VRT possible. I realise that the other ones I have done are therefore not right, though using OMSP of 92% turns out to give very similar figures to what I've already put up actually, though I clearly want them to be as accurate as possible and this would be of considerable assistance to me.

I don't know what % each company uses for OMSP, I've seen 92% mentioned a couple of times here and I just want to make sure:D!

Cheers!

For Audi I'm using 92% for all models except A8, which is 93% and R8, which is 98%.

(I didn't make these changes in my spreadsheet as I didn't have time to drill down model by model. Just used 92% across the board).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

AudiChris, thanks for your spreadsheet! Your calcs on the 92% seem to be right for the old VRT for MINI Coopers because I have a quote based on current rates and the VRT is exactly the same as what you have the old VRT at.

Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks Tink! Now, if only the new VRT rates were as easy... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I was going to go in alphabetical order, but I decided to break my own rules yet again! A lot of people had mentioned it here, and I got a couple of PMs about it too, so I decided it was time to do Volkswagen next!

Anyway, the new TSI technology might have been great under the old system of engine size, but it's bad under the new system, a 170 Golf TSI now finds itself in the same VRT category as the Golf GTI, and in the new Tiguan 1.4 TSI 170 with a slush box is 36% VRT, the most dramatic jump possible under the new system:eek:.

Though the new 122 bhp version is nice and low on CO2, certainly lower than most rival's 1.4s and certainly the 1.6s. The diesels are good too, and the new Bluemotion models should prove to be very popular depending on how VW price them. If the pre tax price of these is only a small bit higher than the non Bluemotion versions, they should work out cheaper, and they provide BMW EfficientDynamics style low emissions!

I didn't bother with working out under OMSP, because it seems to differ from car to car as per what AudiChris said, so I know it's wrong but I don't think it will be that far out in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

please ignore if i m asking on wrong place.
    i thought those cars already registerd in ireland and producing less co2 will pay less road tax but mine gone up :mad:

vw passat 1.9TDI 148CO2.
    or i was just dreaming? can any one please through some light on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

wasim21k wrote: »
    please ignore if i m asking on wrong place.
    i thought those cars already registerd in ireland and producing less co2 will pay less road tax but mine gone up :mad:

vw passat 1.9TDI 148CO2.
    or i was just dreaming? can any one please through some light on this.

cars already registerd in ireland stay on the old tax, but that went up 9%.
    only cars registerd after july are tax on CO2

E92 wrote: »
    the new TSI technology might have been great under the old system of engine size, but it's bad under the new system, a 170 Golf TSI now finds itself in the same VRT category as the Golf GTI, and in the new Tiguan 1.4 TSI 170 with a slush box is 36% VRT, the most dramatic jump possible under the new system:eek:

Interesting find. So the annual tax on the auto 1.4l will go from €318 to €2,000 :eek:

That's more tax than I'm paying on my 5l Porsche V8 :D

E92 wrote: »
    Lads,

can ye confirm for me if OMSP is always 92% of RRP?

No it isn't! Try and search for one of my posts where I explained it in detail. Here's the summary: the distributor has to fill in an official revenue form where he declares both RRP and OMSP. Iirc, he even has to give the percentage

Audichris stated that the R8 is 98%. This means there is feck all discount available :)

On the other hand, I'd love to see the percentage on the offical form for cars like the Citroen C6 or the Peugeot 607 :D

But you have to use something for your calculations so 92% is a good figure to use imho

Cheers Unkel. My product knowledge is fairly limited and obviously doesn't apply to all brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I have read thru the post and I don't think I found the answer but does anyone know if the new tax regime will ever switch over for second hand cars. I am looking at a 05 range rover and am just wondering if the road tax will ever go up to 2k euro

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

richieg wrote: »
    I have read thru the post and I don't think I found the answer but does anyone know if the new tax regime will ever switch over for second hand cars. I am looking at a 05 range rover and am just wondering if the road tax will ever go up to 2k euro
    There is some consumer pressure to allow existing 'green' cars to be taxed at the new, cheaper rates. I haven't heard of anyone calling for a compulsory application of the new rates to existing vehicles though. Though unlikely, a change might be made for the 'green' vehicles. I can't see new motor tax rates being applied across the board to existing vehicles though.

I'd say you can bank on the old regime applying, as long as the vehicle is registered here before July.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

esel wrote: »
    There is some consumer pressure to allow existing 'green' cars to be taxed at the new, cheaper rates. I haven't heard of anyone calling for a compulsory application of the new rates to existing vehicles though. Though unlikely, a change might be made for the 'green' vehicles. I can't see new motor tax rates being applied across the board to existing vehicles though.

I'd say you can bank on the old regime applying, as long as the vehicle is registered here before July.
    I'm of the opposite view. I reckon they will bring it in asap as once people have the choice, they will tend to buy cars with lower VRT & motor tax. As long as thia goes on there will be less and less money coming in through these means so they will force older cars to use the new motor tax rates.

Plus a single system is easier for the civil servants to read off the computer screen!

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm of the opposite view. I reckon they will bring it in asap as once people have the choice, they will tend to buy cars with lower VRT & motor tax. As long as thia goes on there will be less and less money coming in through these means so they will force older cars to use the new motor tax rates.

Plus a single system is easier for the civil servants to read off the computer screen!

I'd have to agree. In practise there are no adverse legalities with abolishing the old regime and replacing it immediately with the new one, based solely on carbon emissions. People would be furious and there would be hell to pay particularly with that portion of the electorate that tends to buy the larger engined motors- who have doubtless been rushing out in the 7 month window to make their purchases before they get caught out.

Having one system based solely on emissions, would be fully in keeping with the spirit of the EU directive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mccannf

Hi,

You might want to put this in the sticky - the government site tells you exactly what band a used imported car will fall into:

http://www.sei.ie/app_trs_search.asp

NOTE: M6 after a model means manual 6-speed, A5 = automatic, etc. etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement