Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you play a trad instrument?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 alomolloy

Is any one out there interested in starting a trad/Pogues band

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Baggio wrote: »
    Good stuff dying to do Horslips mark 2!!!!!

what ya think gang?? ............ciao' Baggio

Sounds interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 finnerz1

i used to play tinwhistle but havent in years. now im learning traditional guitar..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JB.

Just after starting to play the tenor banjo and must say I love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

JB. wrote: »
    Just after starting to play the tenor banjo and must say I love it:D

~Also started playing the tenor banjo since febuary... and am loving it! Slowly but surely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭52paddy

I've played Irish banjo for a good few years now. I've also been playing flute for the past while and am decent enough at the whistle.

If anybody is interested in house sessions, tune sharing or a quiet pub session around Dublin 12 (or within a 3 mile radius), let me know. Would be very interested. Looking for musicians with a decent repertoire for swapping tunes etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 D0nners

Im trying to learn the Irish traditional style on the guitar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Play the button accordian. Been playing it for 6 and a half years now. Love it to bits :D.

Also the tin whistle. Im actually fairly good. Those tin whistle lessons from a few years back have come in handy, i must say :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tapsnilloc@eirc

I'm playing the mandola since the New Year. I hurt my hand in recent months, so I've been unable to play. Dying to get back to it and to learn new tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Catherine.M

i play concertina, fiddle and kinda piano...
    need to practice the fiddle though :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭offaly4sam

I play guitar for the last 6 years,started off playing rock,but always loved trad music and only recently started to learn to play. Would love to be in a band sometime like the pogues...love that music

Offaly4sam

I play guitar a bit as well. What kind of trad songs are you playing? Do you work out the chords yourself or pick them up from the internet?

Tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭offaly4sam

In reply to tap

I play mostly ''pub'' songs from the like of the pogues,dubliners,christy etc. Have books at home that my grandmother had from years ago of irish songs and they have the chords in that. What kinda trad you playing yourself

Offaly4sam

I try much of the same stuff, not so much of the Pogues, but also a bit of Planxty. I pick up the chords from books, internet, other people.

Tap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 docaoimh

I play the uilleann pipes, whistle and flute. Getting my hands on a piano again soon to hopefully do the diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Accordian, Flute and Whistle player here.
    Sure ya can't beat the auld trad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Uilleann pipes, whistle, a small bit out of practice at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

I play guitar and do a lot of Trad/Folk and pub ballads. Would love to meet up with a fiddle/banjo/whistle player for a few impromptu sessions here and there, Limerick area. Anyone up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Uilleann pipes, whistles, bodhran and I also like to mess around on the banjo

colin29 wrote: »
    Uilleann pipes, whistles, bodhran and I also like to mess around on the banjo

Where do you live colin29?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

brousuka wrote: »
    Where do you live colin29?

Vancouver.

colin29 wrote: »
    Vancouver.

Hehehe! your just a bit far from my place then to come over and jam a few tunes!! however a good friend of mine and a good guitar player has just emigrated to Vancouver a couple of months ago! from Adare in County Limerick working there as an engineer. Great place he tells me and certainly the land of opportunity at the moment. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Pretty sure I've answered this before, but here's an updated list..

Guitar
    Mandolin
    Banjo
    Whistles
    Bodhrán

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

nothing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Jay1989 wrote: »
    nothing:(

Only one way to change that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 theyellowtinker

I play Tenor Banjo, Mandolin, Guitar, Tin Whistle & used to play the fiddle alot. I twiddle around a bit on the oul flute..that is of course ..the wooden type!;) Diddle dee ayedle deedle doh..any lilters out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Only one way to change that!

...recently started to save up for a bodhrán I've been looking at for over a year!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerbdog123

started playing the box since sept 09 so about six months feckin' addicted cant seem to leave it down:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cork94

I play fiddle..:)

Got a new one last year.. well, not exactly new..
    Its french 1820..

Tinwhistle and used to play the concertina too..
    I'm thinking up picking up the concertina again soon.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerbdog123

how long does it take to get decent on the molodeon?

Advertisement