Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I got my stolen bike back!

• 09-05-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

I started a thread earlier this week about a bike which was stolen from my back yard last weekend. Biologic came up trumps and posted a link to an ebay auction with a bike of the same description. I had the thread deleted just in case the seller spotted the thread; boards gets indexed really well by google.
    I then got the seller to send on some pics of the bike and sure enough it was my bike. I made sure I won the auction, which ended last night, and this morning I went with a garda to pick up my bike.
    Stupidly I hadn't kept record of the serial number, but due to some miracle I had kept the box the bike came in which had the serial number printed on it. The serial numbers matched up, I got my bike back and the seller got arrested. Happy days!

Some words of advice: If anybody out there doesn't have a record of the serial number of their bikes then write them down now. Make sure your bikes are always locked, regardless of where they are. I nearly learned both these lessons the hard way.

A big thanks to Biologic for posting the link and the gardai who were great to deal with.

Comments

Nice one, glad it worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

class! good enough for him!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

well done
    great to have a story with a happy ending in these dark and gloomy days of recession '09

i suspect this guys stratergy was to steal his way through the recession (busted)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That is class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Brilliant story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Good on ya. I would love to have seen the tea-leaf's face when he/she opened to the door to see a cop with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Congratulations, well done! And well done to the Garda for the help he provided by going along.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

hynesie wrote: »
    I made sure I won the auction, which ended last night, and this morning I went with a garda to pick up my bike.

hope the thief wasnt 2 tyred :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This is the kind of thing that should be printed in the papers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

haha owned!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Post of the day.
    That really is good news.
    Well done to you and the Garda that helped you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

That's deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Through up a link to the ebay auction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Good to hear. Well done for keeping a cool head! And as a Garda as well as a keen cyclist well done to my colleague too. Great to hear these stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

savage! nice one! hope the cops got a few other homeless bikes there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Wow, so I did get something done this weekend. Glad to hear you got your bike back mate. I really didn't think it would turn out to be yours, what a long-shot.
    I cant find the ebay link I sent you, did he have much feedback for bike sales in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Internet 1
    Scum 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

luvly jubly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

He'll probably leave you negative feedback now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

legend, that made my day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hermy wrote: »
    Post of the day.
    That really is good news.
    Well done to you and the Garda that helped you.

Post of the day indeed! Great story, and glad to see you got the bike back! I've just put a reminder in my phone to take note of my serial number in the mornin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Biologic wrote: »
    Wow, so I did get something done this weekend. Glad to hear you got your bike back mate. I really didn't think it would turn out to be yours, what a long-shot.
    I cant find the ebay link I sent you, did he have much feedback for bike sales in the past?

I can prob undelete the thread now, let you have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Debunker

Great story, knew a place that was always getting bikes nicked too.
    Always at the same time though so they eventually get caught,
    the tools.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only downside to this is that the guy knows where you live (and your bike) and will no doubt be out on bail a couple of hours after he was arrested.
    and now knows he will have to be more careful about selling stuff on

(theres always a downside to a good story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bellybutton

Well done, scare her why don't you!! I bought a bike a while ago, it didn't come in a box. Where do I find the serial number on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

uberwolf wrote: »
    I can prob undelete the thread now, let you have a look!

Can someone throw up a link if you manage to reopen the thread. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

Well done, scare her why don't you!! I bought a bike a while ago, it didn't come in a box. Where do I find the serial number on it??
    under the bottom bracket on some bikes...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Post of the day indeed!
    And according to the stats it is the post of the day!
    Well done all.:)
    Next thing you know the recession will be over.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

That's just beautiful! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That's deadly, great to hear. I remember thinking that the auction was a bit dodge with your man not having any history at all, but he described the bike fully. Interesting, he must have known bikes to some degree.

What was the reaction like when you turned you with the Garda ? Was the Garda in plain clothes, did you feel like it was a major crime drama ?

Advertisement