Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ASTI ballot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

markodaly wrote: »
    FG masters?
    I have no political masters thank you very much, the fact that you have to retort with such language is a poor reflection on you, to be honest.

If you want to have a real discussion on permanency we can have that but drop the AH type insults. It's unbecoming.

Well one has to question your motives when time and again it's explained about part time sub work reality versus a payscale figure for salary...

Here's the link for educationposts.ie again in case you've forgotten.

Www.educationposts.ie

Although deflecting is very becoming of you.

So where's those permanent jobs with the approx 35k starting salary mark?... if you want to have a real discussion on permanency.

Where in the HEA 'survey' did it say it asked teachers what they were earning?

Interesting they call it a survey, but only half survey people involved. Then tag on the payscale permanent figure... don'tcha think that's interesting markodaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

doc22 wrote: »
    No they're not, students coming out with undergrads in St Pats in Thurles are qualified teachers same with all primary teachers in Mary I etc.

The survey might have a self selection bias across the board, if you were unemployed or on bad pay would you be running to fill it in

Then why do they have to do their “Dip” year?

And when they do their Dip year, are they not then double graduates?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

if you want to have a real discussion on permanency.

I would actually.

I do think it a problem, but let's not dance around the facts of the matter either, that from the survey vast majority of teachers are in some employment, so its not all bad.

How to fix permanency, that is a multi-pronged problem. Maybe if permanency was not so permanent for bad teachers it may help but I cannot see any union agreeing to a review of teaching practices for the teachers who phone it in.

Also, the fact that a teacher on a permanent contract can go off to the middle east or become a TD, for 5 years and still have their job waiting for them is an issue. 12 months would be my preference. If a teacher wants more time out, then resign and apply again when they are ready. This is real low hanging fruit stuff, but again will be resisted even though this would free up many permanent places overnight.

Obviously the government needs to fund more permanent places as well.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/budget-2019/2018/1009/1002022-education-budget/
    An additional 1,300 teacher and Special Needs Assistant posts to meet demographic demand.

An additional €196m in capital funding to create an additional 18,000 school places.

Is that enough? Probably not, but everyone has their hand out for more resources and cash, just look at the nurses, Gardai, GP's, Army...

If everyone got their way, an extra €2.3 Billion onto the expenses, per year. To put that in context, USC brings in total about €2.5 Billion a year.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

We spend almost €11 Billion on education in this state but like health, are our outcomes that much better?

And I will be clear, I still hold the view and would support any measure by the Unions to put permanency of new teachers ahead of wage agreements, in fact, I think it should be a priority as its unfair for NQT to be waiting indefinitely on a temp contract permanent contract. Say, after 2 or 3 years, if you are working in a school on a full-time basis then you should be offered a permanent contract outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭doc_17

I would actually.

I do think it a problem, but let's not dance around the facts of the matter either, that from the survey vast majority of teachers are in some employment, so its not all bad.

How to fix permanency, that is a multi-pronged problem. Maybe if permanency was not so permanent for bad teachers it may help but I cannot see any union agreeing to a review of teaching practices for the teachers who phone it in.

Also, the fact that a teacher on a permanent contract can go off to the middle east or become a TD, for 5 years and still have their job waiting for them is an issue. 12 months would be my preference. If a teacher wants more time out, then resign and apply again when they are ready. This is real low hanging fruit stuff, but again will be resisted even though this would free up many permanent places overnight.

Is that enough? Probably not, but everyone has their hand out for more resources and cash, just look at the nurses, Gardai, GP's, Army...

If everyone got their way, an extra €2.3 Billion onto the expenses, per year. To put that in context, USC brings in total about €2.5 Billion a year.

We spend almost €11 Billion on education in this state but like health, are our outcomes that much better?

And I will be clear, I still hold the view and would support any measure by the Unions to put permanency of new teachers ahead of wage agreements, in fact, I think it should be a priority as its unfair for NQT to be waiting indefinitely on a temp contract permanent contract. Say, after 2 or 3 years, if you are working in a school on a full-time basis then you should be offered a permanent contract outright.

Ok, where to start with the above.

You can’t put permanency above wage agreements. What’s the point in permanency if it doesn’t pay a decent wage?

If teachers aren’t permanent then where does that leave them? What connection do they have with the school? Why should they care about it if, at the first sign of them not performing heroics, they are cast aside? Anyway, who’d replace them? The a**holes who once sat in a class when they were a teenager and think, as a result, they could do it?

The outcomes in education, primary and secondary, by almost any metric you would care to chose are outstanding and cannot and should not be compared to health.

How many teachers are there in the Dail? Not as many as there are teaching Physics or Chemistry for 3-4 hours a week and would be considered employed by yourself.

The entire study is nonsense as it includes allownnaces that were removed in 2011.

People don’t always need to compare the public sector with the private sector and one good example is the Children’s Hospital. “That cost overrun would never happen in the private sector” go the claims. They are right. In the private sector the hospital wouldn’t be built because there isn’t an economic benefit in treating sick children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

We spend almost €11 Billion on education in this state but like health, are our outcomes that much better?.

We underspend compared to our OECD and EU counterparts and we comfortably outperform compared to those who spend equally to us. We also work longer hours compared to teachers in other countries.

Irish teachers are plugging the gaps caused by poor Government spending in our education, except now you can see that teachers are stretched paper thin numerically.

• Advertisement

I would actually.

So you'd disagree with the media (namely Irish independent an IT) reporting on the HEA 'survey' then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://m.independent.ie/storyplus/considering-your-career-options-heres-why-you-should-think-about-teaching-37830780.html?x

Utter joke, the independent is shocking with the articles on teachers this week. It's very hard to get contracts as I see from my sister.

Why are the government on a "recruitment drive" if teachers are apperantly the "best paid"? What a joke! They are starting to contradict themselves now at this point.

doc_17 wrote: »
    You can’t put permanency above wage agreements. What’s the point in permanency if it doesn’t pay a decent wage?

It very much depends on what you define as a decent wage. Teachers are not paid poorly with respect to other EU/OECD countries. These are the benchmarks we have to compare with.

France was mentioned earlier as a country with a history of militancy and strikes, yet graduate teaching salaries are much lower there than in Ireland.

Comparing Secondary school teachers, a French graduate teacher gets about €27,000, compared to €36,318 in Ireland.
    The holy grail for teaching, Finland again pay less for graduate teachers, starting at about €32,000

Income tax on these salaries is also higher in those countries than here as well!!

http://ncee.org/what-we-do/center-on-international-education-benchmarking/top-performing-countries/finland-overview/finland-teacher-and-principal-quality/
    https://www.into.ie/pay/PayScales/
    http://www.oecd.org/education/Education-at-a-glance-2015-France-English.pdf

Even after 15 years on the job, Ireland still pays on average more than either of those countries.

In respect to Ireland, the HEA survey is clear. Graduate teachers who secure full-time hours are among the best-paid graduates in Ireland, these are just facts from the survey. The issue, of course, is hours as many teachers don't have full-time hours. This is what I was focusing on in regards permanency.

The salary is fine as it seems that there is no shortage of would-be graduate teachers in the main. They know what the salary is from the get-go, yet are happy to go down that route. What there is a shortage of, are teachers in some subjects. That is not an indication of poor salary, it is an issue of choice and opportunities for some graduates.

A possible solution is to identify what specialties schools are struggling to recruit in and offer bonuses/top-up for these areas, like Math and Science, but only to them.
    If teachers aren’t permanent then where does that leave them? What connection do they have with the school? Why should they care about it if, at the first sign of them not performing heroics, they are cast aside?

Here is the thing, I agree with you.
    The outcomes in education, primary and secondary, by almost any metric you would care to chose are outstanding and cannot and should not be compared to health.

Really? Pisa results are above average for the OECD, but we are not top of the class in any of the categories, in fact, we have fallen in Science.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1206/836836-reading-maths-performance/
    I would classify us are above average to good in terms of education, but not outstanding.
    How many teachers are there in the Dail? Not as many as there are teaching Physics or Chemistry for 3-4 hours a week and would be considered employed by yourself.

Teaching is one of the most dominant professions of people who are elected to Dail Eireann.

This was 2011
    https://www.independent.ie/au/life/family/learning/teachers-still-top-of-class-for-31st-dail-representation-26709393.html
    This is 2016.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/election-2016/shape-of-the-dail#/

It does not bother me in the slightest, but the facts are the facts.

The entire study is nonsense as it includes allownnaces that were removed in 2011.

I need to correct this as its a half truth. The salary now includes allowances that were available to a previous cohort of teachers.
    This means a higher base salary but a lower overall salary as allowances were removed.
    People don’t always need to compare the public sector with the private sector and one good example is the Children’s Hospital. “That cost overrun would never happen in the private sector” go the claims. They are right. In the private sector the hospital wouldn’t be built because there isn’t an economic benefit in treating sick children.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. However, if you want to discuss this fine. No one is denying the benefits of having a modern children's hospital, what people are angry about and justified in their anger is the lack of accountability from a cohort of Civil Servants who costed and issued contracts who by all accounts hadn't a bulls notion what they were doing. These jobsworths are still employed and happy out.

See this is something where we could have common ground. Teachers are always complaining about the Dept. of Education and the useless penpushers who run it, something I could agree with. The debacle of the children's hospital is another example of public servants in a department treating the taxpayer like fools. This is the same issue in most other departments.

Yet, instead of seeking common ground here, in regards to civil servants getting in the way providing good quality health and educational services, you go on about a rant about the private sector, something I have not even mentioned.

I think that tells us a lot where the mindset is tbh.

We underspend compared to our OECD and EU counterparts and we comfortably outperform compared to those who spend equally to us. We also work longer hours compared to teachers in other countries.

We spend the same per GDP as Japan, who have better outcomes.
    https://data.oecd.org/eduresource/public-spending-on-education.htm

However, I agree we need to spend more, way more on Early Childcare Education especially. I have been banging that drum for ages. Any big uptick in spending should go there first and foremost. ECT's earning €10 an hour would love half the conditions primary school teachers get. We are decades behind most of the OECD in regards to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

However, I agree we need to spend more, way more on Early Childcare Education especially. I have been banging that drum for ages. Any big uptick in spending should go there first and foremost. ECT's earning €10 an hour would love half the conditions primary school teachers get. We are decades behind most of the OECD in regards to this.

Every country in Asia teaches the way we are being told is wrong. Grind schools, rote learning, high stakes exams. From Macau to myanmar they all do it. Meanwhile we have 400 hrs of well-being.

• Advertisement

You should really speak to a Japanese person about cram schools and why their 'outcomes' are better. The govt don't need to spend much because competition is so fierce and cram schools are rife. So have we to catch up with that?

473678.jpg Here's a typical timetable for a Japanese high school student.
    In respect to Ireland, the HEA survey is clear. Graduate teachers who secure full-time hours are among the best-paid graduates in Ireland, these are just facts from the survey. The issue, of course, is hours as many teachers don't have full-time hours. This is what I was focusing on in regards permanency.

Nice of you to sneak that in.
    And again I'll ask...where are those full time hours on educationposts.ie??

Also , where does it say they surveyed the graduates on their own personal incomes?

BTW what page of the survey are those stats - ' among the best-paid graduates in Ireland' -
    From ?

And yes child care staff are underpaid. Although whats the base requirement... Fetac Level 5? so maybe it's in line with qualifications.

It very much depends on what you define as a decent wage. Teachers are not paid poorly with respect to other EU/OECD countries. These are the benchmarks we have to compare with.

France was mentioned earlier as a country with a history of militancy and strikes, yet graduate teaching salaries are much lower there than in Ireland.

Comparing Secondary school teachers, a French graduate teacher gets about €27,000, compared to €36,318 in Ireland.
    The holy grail for teaching, Finland again pay less for graduate teachers, starting at about €32,000

Income tax on these salaries is also higher in those countries than here as well!!

http://ncee.org/what-we-do/center-on-international-education-benchmarking/top-performing-countries/finland-overview/finland-teacher-and-principal-quality/
    https://www.into.ie/pay/PayScales/
    http://www.oecd.org/education/Education-at-a-glance-2015-France-English.pdf

Even after 15 years on the job, Ireland still pays on average more than either of those countries.

The salary is fine as it seems that there is no shortage of would-be graduate teachers in the main. They know what the salary is from the get-go, yet are happy to go down that route. What there is a shortage of, are teachers in some subjects. That is not an indication of poor salary, it is an issue of choice and opportunities for some graduates.

A possible solution is to identify what specialties schools are struggling to recruit in and offer bonuses/top-up for these areas, like Math and Science, but only to them.

Here is the thing, I agree with you.

Really? Pisa results are above average for the OECD, but we are not top of the class in any of the categories, in fact, we have fallen in Science.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1206/836836-reading-maths-performance/
    I would classify us are above average to good in terms of education, but not outstanding.

Teaching is one of the most dominant professions of people who are elected to Dail Eireann.

This was 2011
    https://www.independent.ie/au/life/family/learning/teachers-still-top-of-class-for-31st-dail-representation-26709393.html
    This is 2016.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/election-2016/shape-of-the-dail#/

It does not bother me in the slightest, but the facts are the facts.

I need to correct this as its a half truth. The salary now includes allowances that were available to a previous cohort of teachers.
    This means a higher base salary but a lower overall salary as allowances were removed.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. However, if you want to discuss this fine. No one is denying the benefits of having a modern children's hospital, what people are angry about and justified in their anger is the lack of accountability from a cohort of Civil Servants who costed and issued contracts who by all accounts hadn't a bulls notion what they were doing. These jobsworths are still employed and happy out.

See this is something where we could have common ground. Teachers are always complaining about the Dept. of Education and the useless penpushers who run it, something I could agree with. The debacle of the children's hospital is another example of public servants in a department treating the taxpayer like fools. This is the same issue in most other departments.

Yet, instead of seeking common ground here, in regards to civil servants getting in the way providing good quality health and educational services, you go on about a rant about the private sector, something I have not even mentioned.

I think that tells us a lot where the mindset is tbh.

That's civil servants, don't tar us all with the one brush.

And again I'll ask...where are those full time hours on educationposts.ie??

More graduates get full-time hours than not, the facts of this are clear from the HEA survey.

The issue is with getting teachers into permanent positions, not pay.
    And yes child care staff are underpaid. Although whats the base requirement... Fetac Level 5? so maybe it's in line with qualifications.

I mentioned ECT's (Early Childcare Teachers) who by definition are degree qualified. About 20% of staff in Early Childcare are degree qualified and the government and EU want this to increase to 60% by 2025, yet I presume they will be happy to pay them all €10 an hour.
    That's civil servants, don't tar us all with the one brush.

Civil Servants and Teachers are both public servants, are they not?
    I was not intending to tar anyone with a brush but the culture no accountability, lack of real performance reviews and deep inertia are prevalent among all Public Servants, unfortunately, and especially with Civil Servants.

d6NjUTj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

More graduates get full-time hours than not, the facts of this are clear from the HEA survey.

That's totally not true. I have two in demand subjects and in my first year of teaching I was not on full hours and no schools had been advertising these said full hours you mention. I believe the ASTI surveyed second level NQT teachers as well last year in which approx 20% stated that they had started on full hours. That's 80% that were not in full time employment and were teaching anything from as low as 2 to 21 hours at second level.

Only 20% get that €36k figure and even that's not a given for their second year as they may have only been covering a career break etc and that teacher comes back.

The fact of the matter is Permanent Whole Time positions at second level do not exist anymore. To become permanent now, you have to go down the CID route and have in excess of 2 years service in that school and have a guarantee that 'hours' are there. Also, in order to get to your second year you have to re-interview and it's not a given that you even get the job as some employers have become anti CID, we've seen it on here. Some teachers spend years in Permanent Part Time positions also through no fault of their own. This is the culture of teaching and it's not on.

I am totally appalled by the pay publication. They can't get it right at all. If teaching was such a cushy, fantastic and amazing job, then why are the Dept. of Ed. focusing on a major recruitment drive on the radio and Facebook to entice those to teaching and to complete the two year PME? It's a total joke. Everyone's leaving or not going into the profession, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

My sister has been graduated with French and English now for over 2 years and still does not have a full time contract, only 8 people in her year have gotten full time contracts and thats due to their relatives being principles etc. That survey was BS from the start, and I don't see it as a good example to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Striking again?

What page are you getting this from?
    Do you mean full-time permanent btw?
    Where are those jobs on educationposts.ie?

The issue is with getting teachers into permanent positions, not pay.

But you just said that 'More graduates get full-time hours than not' . If you hold this true then there's no issue!

I mentioned ECT's (Early Childcare Teachers) who by definition are degree qualified. About 20% of staff in Early Childcare are degree qualified and the government and EU want this to increase to 60% by 2025, yet I presume they will be happy to pay them all €10 an hour.

Where are getting the entry requirement into early childcare as degree though?

It's laughable that you whine on about any public sector pay rises (edit: that should be pay restoration) as being unaffordable... any but the one you've a personal interest in of course!

Civil Servants and Teachers are both public servants, are they not?
    I was not intending to tar anyone with a brush but the culture no accountability, lack of real performance reviews and deep inertia are prevalent among all Public Servants, unfortunately, and especially with Civil Servants.

Civil servants are part of the public sector, as public servants are.
    Public servants directly serve the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Why are you wasting your time ?

km79 wrote: »
    Why are you wasting your time ?

I said id give it one last shot.
    Curiously enough any mention of Union issue and someone is in like flynn to trot out the same old misconceptions to scupper it, yould swear they were being paid to do it at this stage.

But hey childcare workers want a pay rise... if only there were some way they could unite to improve their pay and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Sir123 wrote: »
    That's totally not true. I have two in demand subjects and in my first year of teaching I was not on full hours and no schools had been advertising these said full hours you mention. I believe the ASTI surveyed second level NQT teachers as well last year in which approx 20% stated that they had started on full hours. That's 80% that were not in full time employment and were teaching anything from as low as 2 to 21 hours at second level.

Only 20% get that €36k figure and even that's not a given for their second year as they may have only been covering a career break etc and that teacher comes back.

The fact of the matter is Permanent Whole Time positions at second level do not exist anymore. To become permanent now, you have to go down the CID route and have in excess of 2 years service in that school and have a guarantee that 'hours' are there. Also, in order to get to your second year you have to re-interview and it's not a given that you even get the job as some employers have become anti CID, we've seen it on here. Some teachers spend years in Permanent Part Time positions also through no fault of their own. This is the culture of teaching and it's not on.

I am totally appalled by the pay publication. They can't get it right at all. If teaching was such a cushy, fantastic and amazing job, then why are the Dept. of Ed. focusing on a major recruitment drive on the radio and Facebook to entice those to teaching and to complete the two year PME? It's a total joke. Everyone's leaving or not going into the profession, simple as.

I sometimes question the shortage myself.For example I worked with teachers in the UK who left because of lack of jobs here, also I know teachers working in the Middle East and beyond.These would all be TC registered pp teachers and on top of that there are many teachers here in Ireland who have left teaching and pursued other careers due to the very thing you are talking about lack of proper jobs. If all these people came back ( not saying they would but if they were offered proper jobs maybe ) would we even have a shortage.

There is such publicity about lack of teachers but that is because of the conditions and complete job insecurity.Teaching as you say is a part time gig for many now and unless you have backup like a working spouse or a family to support you or another part time job it just won't pay.Teachers get this reality and it maddens me too when I read articles like this knowing so many teachers who have left because they just couldn't get proper jobs through no fault of their own. And then the media begin bashing teacher with their cushy number not - in the hope the public will fall for it.

Sir123 wrote: »
    That's totally not true. I have two in demand subjects and in my first year of teaching I was not on full hours and no schools had been advertising these said full hours you mention.

It may well be the case in your case, but according to the HEA survey, there are more graduate teachers working in full-time hours than not. That is what the survey tells us.

42% of graduates with a Bachelor Teaching degree has full-time hours, with just 7% getting the coveted permanent position (32% are on a full-time temp contract), compared with 14% on part-time hours.

45% of graduates with a PME have full-time hours, with just 7% getting permanent positions (with 37% are on a full-time temp contract), compared with 17% getting part-time hours.

The fact of the matter is Permanent Whole Time positions at second level do not exist anymore.

They do exist, its just a minority of teachers get these positions. And to be clear I agree with you that more should be done in relation to this. I mentioned some reasons as to how this could be improved as well.
    Some teachers spend years in Permanent Part Time positions also through no fault of their own. This is the culture of teaching and it's not on.

I 100% agree with you.
    Everyone's leaving or not going into the profession, simple as.

I am sorry but that is a change of your earlier position. You stated that there are no permanent positions anymore, yet also claim that everyone is leaving the teaching profession and that there is a lack of graduates. These positions are contradictory.

Do you mean full-time permanent btw?

No, I thought I was clear, full-time hours for people on both temp and permanent contracts.

But you just said that 'More graduates get full-time hours than not' . If you hold this true then there's no issue!

No, I have repeated this many times, the issue is not with pay, but with opening up permanent positions for NQT's.

Where are getting the entry requirement into early childcare as degree though?

I am not sure what you mean here? Are you talking CAO points or government legislation in terms of ratios for the Early Learning sector?
    It's laughable that you whine on about any public sector pay rises (edit: that should be pay restoration) as being unaffordable... any but the one you've a personal interest in of course!

Perhaps, but it brings in some context into the debate. I know some teachers think they have it worst of the lot, but I can tell you it's not true, unpopular as it is.

What is pleasing though, in the last few posts, we actually have a lot to agree on.
    We have not talked about pay comparisons at all but mostly about permanency for NQT's something we can have common ground.

If only the ASTI and others took the same position things might get somewhere but I know the game. The vast majority of members of the ASTI are on a permanent contract anyway, so fighting for that for NQT is not in their own personal interest, but a pay rise sure is. Hence why they but pay before permanency, which in my own opinion is folly and to the detriment of NQT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

I am sorry but that is a change of your earlier position. You stated that there are no permanent positions anymore, yet also claim that everyone is leaving the teaching profession and that there is a lack of graduates. These positions are contradictory.

how are those contradictory? :confused:

So anyway,
    As sure as night follows day the indo have the sponsored ads up.

https://m.independent.ie/storyplus/considering-your-career-options-heres-why-you-should-think-about-teaching-37830780.html?x&fbclid=IwAR21ps4-zzv8s8P1ehu7Bc72XHONOAv_3Ah_QM3KPu0qhUMME7t3a5qfDZM

473742.png

Here's the best line:
    "Prospects are so good that 93% of education graduates are working or about to start a job."

amacca wrote: »
    how are those contradictory? :confused:

On one hand, stating that there are no permanent positions available for NQT's (which is wrong), then saying that there is a lack of graduates and loads of teachers are leaving the sector (which is unproven).

If the latter was the case, then there would be much more positions on offer due to positions opening up. The government hasn't canned, reduced or made redundant a whole bunch of teaching positions, so positions should stay equal at worst.

So in essence, logic dictates that these positions are contradictory.

"Prospects are so good that 93% of education graduates are working or about to start a job."

Is that wrong, factually? A job can be teaching, or not teaching, or working full-time hours or part-time.

The headline is probably correct but as always one has to do due diligence with any media headline, as the devil is in the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think anybody who went through the old system will say it was no picnic either. EPT contracts only arrived 1988. Before that it was part time hours or permenant.
    CPD was an improvement.
    The vast majority of teachers took about 5 years to get permency under old system.
    I would not like to be joining teaching now as the managerialists are starting to take over. Learning outcome bull****. AFL. More bull****. Pretending kids are doing project work more bull****.
    However the box ticking frenzy has taken over most professions and generation snowflake too busy on Facebook or tinder to fight back seriously.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    However the box ticking frenzy has taken over most professions and generation snowflake too busy on Facebook or tinder to fight back seriously.

Blaming younger teachers or labelling them as snowflakes is a bit facile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Blaming younger teachers or labelling them as snowflakes is a bit facile.

Using the term "generation snowflake" invalidates any argument about anything.

Advertisement