Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you need to do a lot more than just disagree... you need to prove its not in a flood zone.

the council has access to some very detailed flooding maps so if they say its in a flood zone, then you can take it that it pretty much is.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just surprised as it had planning permission before and got granted planning permission by the council this time initially before that was appealed.

Only one neighbour had an issue with it.

Any ideas about what we can do with the site now? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Any ideas about what we can do with the site now? Cheers

It all really depends on how much profit is available out of the site, if its a €30-50k site then its questionable if addressing the flood risk via planning is going to be very profitable, however if its a €150k site than thats a different story. Worst case scenario is to sell it as agricultural land id suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

JimmyMW wrote: »
    It all really depends on how much profit is available out of the site, if its a €30-50k site then its questionable if addressing the flood risk via planning is going to be very profitable, however if its a €150k site than thats a different story. Worst case scenario is to sell it as agricultural land id suppose.

Thanks.
    It's around 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Thanks.
    It's around 40k.

Agricultural land id say or try and sell it as a "Site as is" (even thou its not) not subject to planning, for less money say €25k and hopefully someone will think they are getting a bargain and proceed with the sale in the knowledge that they will have big planning issues to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

Hopefully someone can give some advice on this, have went through this thread and couldn't find anything similar.

Wife has been gifted land (.75 acre plot) by a relative right next to other family members, local needs should not be an issue hopefully (based on other siblings experience etc)

Issue is that the proposed site does not currently have road frontage, we would need to run a 100m driveway along a tree-lined boundary to our site which is bordered nicely with mature trees on three sides and quite private from the rest of the land. The land owner has no objections to us doing the road in and would happily grant us right of way on any road / drive we build on his land, or gift us the strip of land containing the road, whichever is easier in planning terms.

Would running this length of driveway / road (say 100m to 120m max) be 'frowned' upon in planning terms? Site is in Meath. There is nobody nearby who could reasonably object to the house / road.

We will of course be doing pre-planning meetings / calls but useful to have any insight from others before attending. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

froggy1985 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can give some advice on this, have went through this thread and couldn't find anything similar.

Wife has been gifted land (.75 acre plot) by a relative right next to other family members, local needs should not be an issue hopefully (based on other siblings experience etc)

Issue is that the proposed site does not currently have road frontage, we would need to run a 100m driveway along a tree-lined boundary to our site which is bordered nicely with mature trees on three sides and quite private from the rest of the land. The land owner has no objections to us doing the road in and would happily grant us right of way on any road / drive we build on his land, or gift us the strip of land containing the road, whichever is easier in planning terms.

Would running this length of driveway / road (say 100m to 120m max) be 'frowned' upon in planning terms? Site is in Meath. There is nobody nearby who could reasonably object to the house / road.

We will of course be doing pre-planning meetings / calls but useful to have any insight from others before attending. Thanks

Not likely from the planners as long as it's within the regs.

The bank will be the bigger pain. They will want a few signed contracts and documents to ensure right of want, ownership etc so the land can't end up land locked in the cause of repro.

Reati wrote: »
    Not likely from the planners as long as it's within the regs.

The bank will be the bigger pain. They will want a few signed contracts and documents to ensure right of want, ownership etc so the land can't end up land locked in the cause of repro.

Thanks, the gifter of the land in this case is very eager to assist in any way so signing contracts to ensure permanent right of way should not be a problem at all and we would be happy to pay all legal costs etc for same.

The other issue is that the only current access to the field is agricultural access obviously. We have probably around 10m width to work with. Not sure whether to approach the planners with a proposal to split this access in two (say 6 for agriculture / 4 for our driveway or run a shared private lane / road with right of way.... Very rough paint drawing attached!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

froggy1985 wrote: »
    Thanks, the gifter of the land in this case is very eager to assist in any way so signing contracts to ensure permanent right of way should not be a problem at all and we would be happy to pay all legal costs etc for same.

The other issue is that the only current access to the field is agricultural access obviously. We have probably around 10m width to work with. Not sure whether to approach the planners with a proposal to split this access in two (say 6 for agriculture / 4 for our driveway or run a shared private lane / road with right of way.... Very rough paint drawing attached!

Yeah, you'll need a new driveway on the planning with associated services, sightlines etc.

Shouldn't be a problem if it's within the limits so you don't get a "creates a traffic hazard" reply.

Will access to that field now be shared based on your driveway?

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, you'll need a new driveway on the planning with associated services, sightlines etc.

Shouldn't be a problem if it's within the limits so you don't get a "creates a traffic hazard" reply.

Will access to that field now be shared based on your driveway?

That's the million dollar question. I would prefer that we buy the site and say a 4m strip of land to the road and own our driveway. Access to the field would then be parallel to our driveway but entirely separate. I imagine this would be the best option from a legal point of view (full ownership of site and drive) but I am not sure if the council will be happy with a residential driveway and agricultural access right next to each other? The gap to accommodate the two "driveways" or access points is 9-10m. Another poor paint job attached

Other option is to run a shared private road from our site entrance to the public road, and make a gate / access point to the field off of this.

Sorry if this is confusing! :(

I intend on trying to work out the option the council would be most happy with, getting some half decent drawings done up and photos etc to go to pre-planning / outline permission but I really haven't a clue what is best here. I spoke unofficially to a planner who suggested I bring a few plans to the council for pre-planning but I would prefer one strong option personally..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ Gannon Crooked Rake

I saw a planning application online which refers to a representation by a councillor. But only the acknowlegdement is there as far as i can see. Are councillors representations public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I saw a planning application online which refers to a representation by a councillor. But only the acknowlegdement is there as far as i can see. Are councillors representations public?

All observations are public. Not all councils upload all documents though. If you want to see what it said go to the coco offices and get the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Sometimes a representation might not have a document or email behind it, many Councillors use it as a way of being notified of a decision or just been seen to support an application.

rayjdav wrote: »
    All observations are public. Not all councils upload all documents though. If you want to see what it said go to the coco offices and get the files.
    are they not supposed tro upload all of the documents

Sometimes a representation might not have a document or email behind it, many Councillors use it as a way of being notified of a decision or just been seen to support an application.
    how would the councillor support the application without saying anything? He got an acknowledgement, surely they cannot acknowledege nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yurtyaherne

how would the councillor support the application without saying anything? He got an acknowledgement, surely they cannot acknowledege nothing

Because if they didn't support it why would they make representations?

They can make a submission/observation if they have a problem with it like every other member of the public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rayjdav

are they not supposed tro upload all of the documents

No obligation to upload docs to view unless the application has an EIS attached. Most do upload details to view but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you serious, a shame???? The above is a perfect example of whats wrong with this country. I'd have my reservation about how "nice it is", its huge.

He applies for a c.300m house, was refused,
    so goes and builds a house approaching 600 sq.m. He deserves everything he gets. 300sq.m is a big house, very comfortable for any sized family. He has 3 children. There was no need to double it.

If he felt he should of been awarded the original planning, he could of appealed. But too go ahead and double its size and build it anyway is idiotic. Tear it down. Its people like this that make it harder for people with legitimate reasons and well designed houses.

"Out of sheer total frustration and desperation, without lodging an appeal against the last refusal, we decided to go ahead and build a house on the land. What was built was larger in proportion to the property for which we had applied and were refused planning permission. We felt at the time this would not have made any difference in any event."

Looks as though the house is still standing, well over a decade after he was told to tear it down - and almost 2 years after the Supreme Court instructed them to demolish it. And the shameless clowns are still pleading to retain it.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/06/05/4156935-letter-couple-appeal-to-meath-councillors-to-help-stop-demolition-order/

The thicker the neck, the greater the possibility that a chancer can get away with something in Ireland of the Gobsh1te. :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

€326,000 demolition costs LOLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

Is anyone else building near a railway line? we are building with a railway line running behind the site. iarnroid eireann have requested we erect 2.4m fencing the full length of our site. our site is quite big. we have got a quote for how much it would cost to erect the fence. (paladin)- were talking about 10-15000.

has anyone been in a similar situation?
    we really don't want an ugly fence at the back of our house. Its not a busy railline at all and is often threatened to close down .

Is there anyway around this :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is anyone else building near a railway line? we are building with a railway line running behind the site. iarnroid eireann have requested we erect 2.4m fencing the full length of our site. our site is quite big. we have got a quote for how much it would cost to erect the fence. (paladin)- were talking about 10-15000.

we really don't want an ugly fence at the back of our house. Its not a busy railline at all and is often threatened to close down .

You can appeal the specific condition to An Board Pleanala. Other than that, no other way to alter or remove a condition that's been issued.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,947 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

show a smaller site?

that requirement is standard where ever boundaries with rail lines are involved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

show a smaller site?

that requirement is standard where ever boundaries with rail lines are involved.

+1

I’ve done similar in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

show a smaller site?

What you mean "show a smaller site"?

The site we bought had to be big,its a long story, but we had to buy it in order to get planning at all. Its right beside my parents house. its such an ugly fence taller than ourselves and there are already trees and shrubs along the boundary. I don't want them to be cut down in order to erect this fence. seems like total nonsense.
    like I am walking a few cm to the other field from my home house where there was never a need for a fence, we have nice trees.it seems really annoying to have to erect a tall ugly fence when animals have been grazing in our site for donkeys years with no fence regulations. surely there is less chance of me and my partner running out onto the railway than a cow lets say .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weshtawake

I am considering buying a site on the outskirts of Galway (within the city bounds).
    There is a large old style galvanised hay shed on the site. My question is will it be easier to get PP by informing the authority that I would be knocking the shed and replacing with a dwelling. Note that this is my first house - I am currently renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

So our planning permission has went in once more today having been refused a few months ago.
    My wife qualifies for the local needs

The main reason we were rejected was we own our own house and they said our housing needs are me

Has anyone managed to get planning permission who already own a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

jay28 wrote: »
    So if we sell our house and rent, we then have a housing need?
    The current house doesn't fulfill "our" housing requirements. Therefore our housing needs are not met.

What do you mean it doesn't fulfill your requirements? Not big enough, can't be seen from everywhere?

What do you mean it doesn't fulfill your requirements? Not big enough, can't be seen from everywhere?

It's not big enough, we now have 3 children in a 2 bed house. Can't be seen from everywhere? Not sure what you mean by that.

It's not big enough, we now have 3 children in a 2 bed house. Can't be seen from everywhere? Not sure what you mean by that.

Part of the vanity that goes with one off houses, make sure the house is visible everywhere.
    Anyway families with sometimes 10 children were raised in 2 bedroom terraces in the towns and cities and somehow they managed.

Part of the vanity that goes with one off houses, make sure the house is visible everywhere.
    Anyway families with sometimes 10 children were raised in 2 bedroom terraces in the towns and cities and somehow they managed.

Seriously :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Seriously :rolleyes:

Sell your house and buy a bigger one or extend your house.
    Both will be cheaper than a one off.

Advertisement