Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warranty period on replacement phone

• 16-02-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I took out a new mobile phone contract in April 2017 (24 month contract) but handset was faulty (freezing screen,unresponsive etc) and was replaced in Nov 2017.
    Now replacement phone is acting up ie wifi only working intermittently Bluetooth not working whatsoever and randomly powering on/off.
    I went back to the phone shop this morning where contract was taken out and the sales rep told me my phone is not covered by warranty as it was already a replacement and my original warranty is now over.
    Is this legal ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Title amended for greater clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What is/was the warranty on the phone, normally only a year to start with so even the replacement phone would have expired.
    What phone is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

fritzelly wrote: »
    What is/was the warranty on the phone, normally only a year to start with so even the replacement phone would have expired.
    What phone is it?

It’s an iPhone 7

Do a factory reset (have backup of your data)

Do a factory reset (have backup of your data)

Have done that already a couple of times but still having the same issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

js35 wrote:
    It’s an iPhone 7

I'm open to correction here but apple do only give a 12 month warranty BUT I believe that you can get in touch with them directly and they actually give a 24 month warranty if you deal directly with them. I hate apple software so I don't have an apple phone but hopefully some iPhone users can confirm the 24 month warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here but apple do only give a 12 month warranty BUT I believe that you can get in touch with them directly and they actually give a 24 month warranty if you deal directly with them. I hate apple software so I don't have an apple phone but hopefully some iPhone users can confirm the 24 month warranty.

There's a slight issue in this case as it's the replacement he's looking for warranty on. Apple didn't supply the replacement.

Contact Apple, it is a 2 year warranty in the EU
    Even the original phone would be within the 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There's a slight issue in this case as it's the replacement he's looking for warranty on. Apple didn't supply the replacement.

If it's an apple phone wouldn't it still has a warranty regardless of who supplies it?

https://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

I'm not sure how this effects op but thought the link might be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Your warranty is with the manufacturer (or sometimes retailer) and it's whatever your contract says, so read it and see if it was a 1 or 2 years warranty.
    Your statutory rights however are covered for 6 years and you (in a joint decision with the retailer) have the right to a repair, replacement, refund (one of each for a fault). Technically, it's probably a new fault, so the cycle would reset and the retailer could offer you a replacement again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Goods and services act. Contract is with retailer. Item sold has to last a reasonable length of time. 1 year is unreasonable. Entitled to replacement refund ir repair(retailer's choice).Lodge case with small claims court now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Contact Apple, it is a 2 year warranty in the EU
    Even the original phone would be within the 2 years.

This is so often misunderstood, it's actually started to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's actually the limitation on claims that can't be less than two years not a guarantee of a successful claim within two years. Ireland's limitation is six years so the two year limit imposed by regulation didn't alter anything, parties are free to give shorter warranties, if reasonable to do so.

In this situation I'd have to say though it's not reasonable so I agree with the above posters, small claims procedure. They probably won't even let it get that far once they get the paperwork. Just make sure to get the company names etc. right by checking with the CRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The fault should have appeared before now if it was a manufacturing fault. Nobody is under any legal obligation to replace or fix the phone at this stage.
    Small claims would be the last road as it's long and might not be successful, Get onto the networks customer care and then Apples if no joy. One of them should fix it. I'd expect the network as some of them will honour the 2yrs but you have to push them on it. Apple will advise when you call them.

The fault should have appeared before now if it was a manufacturing fault. Nobody is under any legal obligation to replace or fix the phone at this stage.
    Small claims would be the last road as it's long and might not be successful, Get onto the networks customer care and then Apples if no joy. One of them should fix it. I'd expect the network as some of them will honour the 2yrs but you have to push them on it. Apple will advise when you call them.

Apple are notorious for 'design features' that don't age well and start giving trouble down the line rather than becoming apparent immediately. Other than that, you're right, definitely exhaust all other avenues before 'going legal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Small claims would be the last road as it's long and might not be successful, Get onto the networks customer care and then Apples if no joy. One of them should fix it. I'd expect the network as some of them will honour the 2yrs but you have to push them on it. Apple will advise when you call them.[/quote

Giveaway says
    Its only 15 months since the new handset issued. Go through the small claims court. A fee of 25 euro and no legal costs. A premium consumer electronic device not working after such a short time. A repair should have been offered at the very least. The retailors push the manufacturer warranty to avoid their obligations

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Surely if the contract is for 2 years, there would be an expectancy that the goods should be "useable" for 2 years? (Obvious exception would be physical damage etc). Or can a provider argue that their contract of service is still intact as their service is connectivity (calls/texts/data) and not any other addendum features associated with the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you look up the Apple support website you can check to see if the product has a known issue that they have a callback or repair programme in place for it. Unlikely I know but it has been known to happen.

Cheers everyone for the reply’s it turns out the 3 rep in store gave me the wrong information.
    I only found this out by going on their web chat and enquiring with an online rep there who confirmed the replacement phone was covered by warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

This is so often misunderstood, it's actually started to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's actually the limitation on claims that can't be less than two years not a guarantee of a successful claim within two years. Ireland's limitation is six years so the two year limit imposed by regulation didn't alter anything, parties are free to give shorter warranties, if reasonable to do so.

In this situation I'd have to say though it's not reasonable so I agree with the above posters, small claims procedure. They probably won't even let it get that far once they get the paperwork. Just make sure to get the company names etc. right by checking with the CRO.

Actually, the legal minimum guarantee is 2 years under EU law (this applies to the seller, not the manufacturer):-

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm
    EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

This is in accordance with Artice 5 of Directive 1999/44/EC:-
    Article 5

Time limits

1. The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery.

The problem is that Ireland didn't specifically specify the 2 year minimum when transposing the Directive via the European Communities (Certain Aspects of the Sale of Consumer Goods and Associated Guarantees) Regulations 2003.

I disagree. I agree with the interpretation given when transposing the directive. This issue is that Article 3 states:
    1. The seller shall be liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists at the time the goods were delivered.

This renders the statements under Article 5 to be a limitation period, not a guarantee period. The issue can't arise in month 18 and be covered, UNLESS it can be proved it was actually an issue at time of delivery. Ireland rightly didn't do anything here as we have a six year limitation period.

On a practical level a consumer would have to work within the current legislation which doesn't allow for a two year guarantee period. They'd have to exercise their rights under the directive which would, I believe, but am open to correction, require a case stated?

• Advertisement

I disagree. I agree with the interpretation given when transposing the directive. This issue is that Article 3 states:
    1. The seller shall be liable to the consumer for any lack of conformity which exists at the time the goods were delivered.

This renders the statements under Article 5 to be a limitation period, not a guarantee period. The issue can't arise in month 18 and be covered, UNLESS it can be proved it was actually an issue at time of delivery. Ireland rightly didn't do anything here as we have a six year limitation period.

But, one important point about conformity at time of purchase is that the product must "show the quality and performance which are normal in goods of the same type and which the consumer can reasonably expect, given the nature of the goods...".

If a product becomes faulty long before what is reasonably expected for the type of product then it lacked that conformity at the time of purchase. Yes you would need to show that you didn't cause the issue, but that is standard for any guarantee bar the first 6 months.

Also Article 5 states "where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods" then there is a right of redress, in other words if a product fails quicker than is reasonably expected within two years then it lacked the reasonably expected conformity which is expected at the time of delivery.

There are a few ECJ cases such as Case C‑404/06 Quelle AG vs Bundesverband der Verbraucherzentralen und Verbraucherverbände for example on the matter and they have confirmed that Article 5 created a 2 year right of redress under Article 3 and have referred to these as guarantee limits which are mandatory.

The ECJ has also held that Article 5 actually creates two distinctive time limits, namely a period of liability of the seller, and a limitation period. The duration of any limitation period is not contingent on that of the period of liability of the seller.

In any case it is worth noting that all products have a presumption of lack of conformity for any defect which occurs within 6 months, the European Parliament are currently working on measures (awaiting the first parliamentary reading I believe) to change this to a 2 year presumption meaning any uncertainty of a 2 year guarantee will be answered in due course.

On a practical level a consumer would have to work within the current legislation which doesn't allow for a two year guarantee period. They'd have to exercise their rights under the directive which would, I believe, but am open to correction, require a case stated?

But there is already ECJ case law on the matter and consumers can also exercise their rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 in terms of fit for purpose etc similar to the Directive, bar the statute of limitations there is no time limit on the Act.

I concede to your argument, thank you for such a detailed reply.

Arguing this in another thread and it has me thinking. As the two year period is not specified and directives can't have horizontal effect how does one establish a two year period in Irish law?

Arguing this in another thread and it has me thinking. As the two year period is not specified and directives can't have horizontal effect how does one establish a two year period in Irish law?

Many legal eagles mention direct effect, both horizontal and vertical (vertical can apply to Directives but only against the state and it's emanations), but STC, have you ever heard of indirect effect?

GM228 wrote: »
    Many legal eagles mention direct effect, both horizontal and vertical (vertical can apply to Directives but only against the state and it's emanations), but STC, have you ever heard of indirect effect?

I did back in the day and will again now :D

I did back in the day and will again now :D

As a result of the ECJs Von Colson vs Land Nordrhein-Westfalen(1984) Case 14/83 a court is basically required to interpret the provisions of national legislation in light of the wording and purpose of Directives to give effect of their provisions even when not specifically transposed.

Also see Marleasing SA vs La Comercial Internacional de Alimentación SA (1990) C-106/89 where the ECJ held:-
    National courts must interpret national law in light of any relevant directive

The ECJ confirmed this is required under Article 189 of the EC Treaty (Article 249 of the Treaty establishing the European Community) which establishes that results to be achieved from Directives are binding on member states.

GM228 wrote: »
    As a result of the ECJs Von Colson vs Land Nordrhein-Westfalen(1984) Case 14/83 a court is basically required to interpret the provisions of national legislation in light of the wording and purpose of Directives to give effect of their provisions even when not specifically transposed.

Also see Marleasing SA vs La Comercial Internacional de Alimentación SA (1990) C-106/89 where the ECJ held:-

The ECJ confirmed this is required under Article 189 of the EC Treaty (Article 249 of the Treaty establishing the European Community) which establishes that results to be achieved from Directives are binding on member states.

Thanks, sorry I didn't mean for you to have to go looking that up for me, I dug it out of my notes.

Advertisement