Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Mick Clifford is always excellent and balanced. The podcast was a good listen but Eamonn should have left out all the references to the nurses as it just sounded populist, and wasn't relevant to the conversation. And he seems to think that the nursing unions would be flexible in making changes to working practices which is bizarre, given the history of unions and their penchant for doing a shakedown of the the Government for even the most minor of changes to running any public service department. Like I said should have just left it out of this particular discussion.

I disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mick Clifford is brilliant, if he goes after the Health service he could bring down the HSE.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mick Clifford is brilliant, if he goes after the Health service he could bring down the HSE.

He's one of only a few investigative journalists left. He's always worth reading and listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Kingp35 wrote: »
    He's one of only a few investigative journalists left. He's always worth reading and listening to.

There's a core honesty about him that is endearing about him as well though. When Eamonn tried to blow smoke at him about how he was the only one who had taken Maurice McCabe's side of the story, Mick interrupted him and gave due credit to Katie Hannon and others to make sure that the credit was spread around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I agree, he could based on his work with Maurice McCabe.

The podcast on the children's hospital didn't suggest either of them knew much about the construction process. Even less about how tenders work, especially in the public sector.

There was no mention of how the scope of the project has changed. Just half an hour of repeating the same numbers over and over again. There was nothing to be learned from this one that wasn't already reported on the hourly radio news.

Hopefully Mick is just beginning his research.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Very good interview with Eamon, covers his upbringing, the current homelessness crisis and he has a few digs at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Found the latest pod to be really interesting and insightful. Lara Marlowe is a good guest, seems fairly balanced in her views and gave a good account of what is happening in France, and beyond. If you've been following the "gillet janues" story, you probably won't learn anything new but I found it was a good concise summary of proceedings in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

Found the latest pod to be really interesting and insightful. Lara Marlowe is a good guest, seems fairly balanced in her views and gave a good account of what is happening in France, and beyond. If you've been following the "gillet janues" story, you probably won't learn anything new but I found it was a good concise summary of proceedings in France.

Agree.

If only Dunphy would stop talking over his guests...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Very good interview with Eamon, covers his upbringing, the current homelessness crisis and he has a few digs at RTE.

Thought it was terrible. Dunphy kept returning to how hard he had his family had it when he was a child. Ran down people in rte; that Billo should have being left in the job, that Giles should being left in the job. That basically him and his mates all past 70 should have been left at it. He needs to accept he was an employee and his managers dispensed of his services when they believed it to be the right time.

Everyone’s got their own attitude to dunphy but when you hear his analysis and how hard it is for him to get through sentences without making factual errors it’s hard to think of him as anything other than a very successful bluffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Thought it was terrible. Dunphy kept returning to how hard he had his family had it when he was a child. Ran down people in rte; that Billo should have being left in the job, that Giles should being left in the job. That basically him and his mates all past 70 should have been left at it. He needs to accept he was an employee and his managers dispensed of his services when they believed it to be the right time.

Everyone’s got their own attitude to dunphy but when you hear his analysis and how hard it is for him to get through sentences without making factual errors it’s hard to think of him as anything other than a very successful bluffer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't think it was terrible but I did think there were some holes in his arguments.

Eoin O'Brion went to Blackrock, Paul Murphy The Institute, and Boyd Barrett to Michaels. All fee paying schools and all are vocal on the housing situation so I'm not sure how much class comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Listening to the latest podcast on Trump & the states, Dunphy doesnt seem to have the same vitriol & anti Trump bias that every other journalist and radio show host has for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

neris wrote: »
    Listening to the latest
    podcast on Trump & the states, Dunphy doesnt seem to have the same vitriol & anti Trump bias that every other journalist and radio show host has for him.

I think that is a conscious position, the logic of which goes that as Trump is firmly established as a figure to be derided, media can get away without applying any analysis or scrutiny. If you avoid that guff, then you have a chance to consider Trump as a president and not as a clown.

Would think Trump is aware that a media charicature serves him well, it simultaneously emboldens his supporters and buffers his critics.

So I think Eamo is 100% right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm excited about Mick Clifford being the host.

Smart move by Eamo, it could work out well for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Hope Eamo is ok

Podcast out this morning with Eamonn presenting. Assume its one he did in the last few days before taking time off

John Waters spoke about the interview from last year with Eamo and why he got so angry. Video up on youtube on Gemma O'Doherty's channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

John Waters spoke about the interview from last year with Eamo and why he got so angry. Video up on youtube on Gemma O'Doherty's channel.

Whats the gist of ot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If its on that channel, I would say its all the fault of heathens and folks who have not lived in Ireland for 253 generations #twogob****es

• Advertisement

Whats the gist of ot?

He said that he thought it was a setup. He told Eamonn that he wanted to record a piece from a letter of the father of an aborted child at the end of the segment. When he went to speak to the sound engineer, he found that it was Una Mullaly's sound engineer that was working the sound there. And when he told the sound engineer what he would like to do, he said that the sound engineer looked at each other and gave some sort of reaction like throwing their eyes up to heaven. You'd really need to listen to it yourself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He said that he thought it was a setup. He told Eamonn that he wanted to record a piece from a letter of the father of an aborted child at the end of the segment. When he went to speak to the sound engineer, he found that it was Una Mullaly's sound engineer that was working the sound there. And when he told the sound engineer what he would like to do, he said that the sound engineer looked at each other and gave some sort of reaction like throwing their eyes up to heaven. You'd really need to listen to it yourself though.

Why would Una Mullally have her own sound engineer? Surely the Dunphy has someone he uses himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mang0

It wasn't a set-up. He was getting an entire podcast episode to state his case. He came in a bit wound-up/agitated about this alleged letter, and then just lost his **** when Eamon asked him a perfectly reasonable question.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He couldn't handle it when Eamonn tried to ask him a few reasonable questions. He should have been able to keep his cool. Obviously he wasn't in the mood for any of it, he just wanted an unquestioning platform for his opinions. He can dress it up any way he wants after the facts, but there was agition in his voice as soon as the first reasonable question was put to him and he just lost the plot.

mang0 wrote: »
    It wasn't a set-up. He was getting an entire podcast episode to state his case.

The poster didn't ask me what you thought of it. He asked me what Waters said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is Eammo in Cheltenham or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is Eammo in Cheltenham or what?

He's in hospital. No idea what for but nothing serious apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I've enjoyed the last couple with Mick Clifford related to Brexit and US politics. Does anyone know if Mick appears on any other podcast ? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I've enjoyed the last couple with Mick Clifford related to Brexit and US politics. Does anyone know if Mick appears on any other podcast ? Thanks!

I think I have listened to each occasion Alan O'Neill has been the guest (3 times?). First time I liked hearing a Brexiteer perspective, but aach time after the first I wondered what value he brings.

He is not really an impartial observer despite being introduced as editor of Spikes, he is a blue blood brexiteer who believes every UK citizen knew what they were voting for, that people exaggerate the possible impact at the border, and that the EU is mainly out to get the Brits, etc.

He might as well be from the ERG, and the fact the regular host holds similar views leads to a low value listen for me (OK Mick Clifford did some more challenging, but not much more).

Compare that to Niall Stanage, who reports on events in the US without any discernible position (except maybe Trump incredulity). A few weeks back Niall for example gave a brilliant overview of the standoff with Democrats re the wall and explained state of emergency etc.

I would like if Eamon had a contributor who could give the same impartial perspective on Brexit, as I think there is a massive political drama that could use a good narrator, and not Alan O'Neill trotting out the same stuff again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

His name is Brendan O'Neill and he is the editor of https://www.spiked-online.com/

Advertisement