Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Billboards from around the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You're on a veg*n forum. The prevailing preference amongst vegans is spelled out in TA's response. Reply to that, rather than my sarky answers - TA has far more patience than I.

It's actually a vegan & vegetarian forum so there are probably posters that would wear wool with no qualms.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

veg*n = vegetarian or vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

veg*n = vegetarian or vegan

Ooooh ok. I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Of course TA's answer is an option! Read it again and understand what it says:

David - with respect thats pie in the sky and not a realistic option no matter how you look at it.

Sheep are not bred for their fleece only and increasingly not at all - as synethic fabrics take over. That leaves farmers with the necessity of shearing sheep whether the fleece is sold or otherwise. etc.

Should we cajole others into believing not shearing sheep or not using the wool produced in this process is good for sheep?

No the only ones that suits is those with an agenda and not the sheep. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sydney

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Sydney

Yup 'none of the meat' and as about as far a away from 'plant based whole foods' as you can get. But that's the way the multi corporation food industry is trying to push our food supply I suppose ... Not a fan of industrial food at all tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yup 'none of the meat' and as about as far a away from 'plant based whole foods' as you can get. But that's the way the multi corporation food industry is trying to push our food supply I suppose ... Not a fan of industrial food at all tbh.

Cool story, bro.

Edinburgh yesterday.

Cool story, bro.

The truth can sometimes be unpleasant. Promoting or packaging junk foods as vegan. Who wins?

https://philmaffetone.com/junk-food-companies-keep-growing/

https://www.mouthymoney.co.uk/how-vegan-evangelists-are-propping-up-the-ultra-processed-food-industry/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was talking to a restaurant owner today, who mentioned they had the beyond burger on their menu, (and that its gack), but it gets vegans in... And they usually buy one of their homemade vegan burgers instead... (3 to 1), so it serves a purpose... Even if it is expensive, super processed and gack...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bujo?

Markcheese wrote: »
    Was talking to a restaurant owner today, who mentioned they had the beyond burger on their menu, (and that its gack), but it gets vegans in... And they usually buy one of their homemade vegan burgers instead... (3 to 1), so it serves a purpose... Even if it is expensive, super processed and gack...

Did they mention it was gack?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd be interested in knowing the name of this restaurant to.

Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Berlin

That oat milk is stupidity popular. with a stupid high mark-up(89% profit margin in a previous company I worked with).

Also in the States, was over last week and oat and almond milk were the milks of choice, had to ask for cows milk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah it is selling out everywhere, particularly oat milk. Their barista edition is great. Even my mother drinks oat milk over dairy milk. Pretty big change coming from someone at her age from a complete farming background who would have been dubious of such things before. It's emissions, land use and water use are all low also.

How desperate can the milk lobby in oatly’s home country be.

They’re now trying to sell dairy milk mixed with oak milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It does come across as a bit "neither fish nor fowl", I mean if you like milk, its not milk,
    If you want oat milk (or oat drink, or cereal non dairy milk type substitute) then it's not that either,
    And it's gonna be uht milk too so doubly ****e...

https://youtu.be/4t3njBw0G6k

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think you will find that is usually milky porridge - except the oats are not cooked . It's been around along time. Served cold and very nice it is too ;)

My mother would make it for us as small children. The Scots have a version with milk / cream and whiskey

https://www.christinascucina.com/atholl-brose-with-and-without-cream/

The company appear to be very environmentally aware. Fair play.

https://www.arla.com/sustainability/our-climate-ambition/

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    I think you will find that is usually milky porridge - except the oats are not cooked . It's been around along time. Served cold and very nice it is too ;)

My mother would make it for us as small children. The Scots have a version with milk / cream and whiskey

https://www.christinascucina.com/atholl-brose-with-and-without-cream/

The company appear to be very environmentally aware. Fair play.

https://www.arla.com/sustainability/our-climate-ambition/

Arla Lactose Milk & Oat Drink

Cold porridge in a bottle. It sounds revolting. I’m sure it will fly off the shelves

Trying anything at all to be plant based. Just as bad as the Irish dairy council & their plant based milk because the cows eat grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cold porridge in a bottle. It sounds revolting. I’m sure it will fly off the shelves

Trying anything at all to be plant based. Just as bad as the Irish dairy council & their plant based milk because the cows eat grass.

Yea, calling milk plant based is a weak marketing strategy. It’s a quality product capable of standing on its own merits. There’s nothing as bad as false information on billboards, there allot of it on billboards in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

This vegan craze has to stop my daughter has been caught up in this "cult" her health is suffering she looks desperate her personality has completely changed

Christ on a bike - its only a drink and believe it or not the oat + milk drink my mother made was quite pleasant.

I dont believe food manufactures of vegan foods have a moral claim over certain foodstuffs such as oats over and above the rest of those eating a normal diet tbh.

Do you really think businesses gives a proverbial who they are selling to or should buyers of such foods have to show ID to prove they are plant based or something?

You'd swear someone personally stole something off someone :rolleyes:

This vegan craze has to stop my daughter has been caught up in this "cult" her health is suffering she looks desperate her personality has completely changed

Why did you pick this thread? It might have been better to start a new one. Maybe a mod. could split it off before it gets buried?

Anyway, it's hardly a 'craze' Charles - many have been vegan for decades - and most decidedly not a 'cult'; that would imply some kind of leader or religious aim and vegans tend to follow their own instincts.

That aside, why not embrace your daughter's decisions and help her? Life's a long learning journey, you never know what you might discover.

That's about as far as advice can go here, without more details of her diet, age, past eating habits, weight, general health and what she thinks.

Michael Gregor put together a handy booklet (free and downloadable) which might help your daughter.

It's hardly a 'craze' Charles - many have been vegan for decades - and most decidedly not a 'cult'; that would imply some kind of leader or religious aim and vegans tend to follow their own instincts.

That aside, why not embrace your daughter's decisions and help her? Life's a long learning journey, you never know what you might discover.

That's about as far as advice can go here, without more details of her diet, age, past eating habits, weight, general health and what she thinks.

Michael Gregor put together a handy booklet (free and downloadable) which might help your daughter.
    No talking to her it's like she is brain washed hence the cult comparison.
    I'm a very strong believer in eating meat and it's benefits.
    Also I think an animal is better to have a good life and then to killed humanly rather than never have lived, if we follow the vegan model these animals with not be bred

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, calling milk plant based is a weak marketing strategy. It’s a quality product capable of standing on its own merits. There’s nothing as bad as false information on billboards, there allot of it on billboards in this thread.

So you agree with me.

Thanks, Brian.

_Brian wrote: »

So you agree with me.

Thanks, Brian.

No talking to her it's like she is brain washed hence the cult comparison.
    I'm a very strong believer in eating meat and it's benefits.
    Also I think an animal is better to have a good life and then to killed humanly rather than never have lived, if we follow the vegan model these animals with not be bred

Again, I would ask mods to put this in a separate thread.

• Advertisement

Again, I would ask mods to put this in a separate thread.

Why I worry about the effect of these billboard and the pushing of the vegan agenda

Advertisement