Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Putting on Weight - Weighing Scales

Options
  • 18-02-2019 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I increased my calorie intake by a few hundred calories beginning of January,while doing a dry January also. Intention was to put on weight and build a bit of size.
    Around 12stone at end of December. Height 5ft10.5

Increased to around 2,900 kcal,hit the gym 4 times a week - do the main compound lifts and a few accessories.
    Play a bit of 5 a side twice a week,and walk a bit also.
    So getting a good bit of exercise in and no alcohol a big factor too.

Wasnt putting on weight,losing if anything, increased calories the last 3.5 weeks to 3,200kcal with same exercise volume. Eating quite clean, though consuming more carbs than before, carbs makes up around 40-42% of macros

Weight has been up and down, weighed myself each morning first thing after going for a pee on the below dates.

Particulary since the last week of Jan onwards when i increased calorie intake, i get such varying readings for my weight.
    Even the last week alone, my weight has been up and down a fair bit.

Is this due to water intake? (during and fter football at night I would consume a lot of water)
    Or any other reason?
    How do i know im putting on weight or not apart from taking pics?
    Are the scales dodgy or any other reason?
    If I am putting on weight, how do I know how much? As 0.5-0.7lb a week is enough for me.

Just to add, the weight below is after I have weighed myself 3/4 times in the morn and got the same reading 2/3 times.

Thanks for any advice

12.1.0 on morn of Wed 2nd Jan
    12.1.25 on morn of Tues 8th Jan
    11.13.25 on morn of Sun 12th Jan
    11.12.75 on morn of Sat 18th Jan
    12.1.75 on morn of Sun 3rd Feb
    12.4.5 on morn of Tues 12th Feb
    12.2.75 on morn of Sat 16th Feb
    12.1.5 on morn of Sun 17th Feb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just to confirm, 12.1.25 = 12st 1.25lbs
    Weight fluctuats in the short due to hydration, food, bathroom schedule. The only way to know is to track trend over a long period.
    I've a pretty good graph from track. I'll post the details when I'm in work tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Mellor wrote: »
    Just to confirm, 12.1.25 = 12st 1.25lbs
    Weight fluctuats in the short due to hydration, food, bathroom schedule. The only way to know is to track trend over a long period.
    I've a pretty good graph from track. I'll post the details when I'm in work tomorrow

Thanks for your reply, yes 12.1.25 is in lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

My weight decreased 2.5lbs today apparently within a couple of hours (used same scales). (Nothing left my body in that time :pac: and no change in what I was wearing)

I've also noticed a different result on the scales depending on whether I'm weighing myself upstairs or downstairs in the house! (Different scales to the one mentioned above.)

Point is.... relying on a weighing scales for accuracy can be dodgy.

Don't blindly trust the scales.

Monitor your weight over a 3-6 month period rather than over a few weeks. You'll notice fluctuations based on the surface the scales is resting on, the time of day, each individual scales, etc etc. But over a longer period of time you'll be able to track a more consistent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Forget weight. Measure yout waist, chest, arms and legs. And get a body fat reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DareGod wrote: »
    I've also noticed a different result on the scales depending on whether I'm weighing myself upstairs or downstairs in the house! (Different scales to the one mentioned above.)

Point is.... relying on a weighing scales for accuracy can be dodgy.

You'll notice fluctuations based on the surface the scales is resting on, the time of day, each individual scales, etc etc. But over a longer period of time you'll be able to track a more consistent result.
    Using the one scale, leaving it in the one location, avoid moving to other rooms/floor surfaces, making sure battery have sufficient juice, etc. If you do that, the accuracy should be pretty high. Assuming it's a half decent scales.

Our weight does fluctuate, constantly. Fluctuations don't mean inaccuracy.
    Thanks for your reply, yes 12.1.25 is in lbs.

Do you have a goal weight? I just entered 180lbs as a guess.
    This is your weighing results above.

X9rgp4S.png

Looks kinda up and down and back to where you started, right.
    But this is the same data with a weighted average. The dotted line shows there's actually an upwards trend. You can ignore a specific number of a given day, if the trend line is going up, you are gaining weight.

Lo4wedD.png

At the above rate you hit 180lbs on 12th june. Increase calories to get there faster, but tbh thats just under half a lb a week. You can really gain lean mas much faster naturally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement