Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancel insurance - how will it affect no claims?

Options
  • 13-02-2019 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Currently have 2 cars but don't really need 2 anymore. If I cancel insurance on one, I believe the no claims I have is valid for 2 years, is that correct?

Even if it is valid for 2 years, will they penalise me if I re-insure in say 12 months time because I'll have only been a named driver on my husbands policy for the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What you can do is insure the car in your name this year and name your husband on the policy and then next year have your husband as the main driver and you named on the policy. You both then keep you NCB alive for when you might need individual policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

What you can do is insure the car in your name this year and name your husband on the policy and then next year have your husband as the main driver and you named on the policy. You both then keep you NCB alive for when you might need individual policies.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Would the insurance company be ok with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the T&Cs for your insurer, we can just guess as you haven't told us what insurer this is about.

It's 123.ie, underwritten by RSA. They have confirmed the 2 year thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's 123.ie, underwritten by RSA. They have confirmed the 2 year thing.

I don't think they can stop you from doing it, theres nothing illegal or fraudulent about it. My sister and her husband have been doing it for the last 10/12 years to keep both of their full NCB's alive and it doesn't cost anything extra.

• Advertisement

Sure the worst they can do is say no! Thanks again.

Advertisement