Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird seed

• 20-01-2019 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

Where's the best place to get bird seed? Is there anywhere online that is cheaper than a bricks and mortar shop?

With regards to type of bird seed, what's the best type? My dad swears by nyjer seed for goldfinches, is wild bird seed worth getting as well?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I've mostly been using Amazon to get sunflower hearts, niger seed and premium wild bird feed (from the extra select range)

It works out cheaper than any shop I've found in Ireland but your postman may not appreciated the 20kg parcels

I've had good experiences with this Irish company too

http://www.newbawnwildbirdfeed.com/

In my experience finches, linnets etc. gobble down the sunflower hearts and niger seed

Sparrows, starlings, tits go for the wild bird feed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ah thank you so much! We were in town yesterday and were looking at the different foods and even within the same brand there was a huge difference between price in different stores. I've no idea what's a good/bad price.

What foods do you find you go through the quickest? Do you use nuts/suet balls at all? Is there any type of seed/nut that is better or seasonal? (I would imagine suet balls are possibly more suited to winter/cold weather?)

(Sorry for all the questions)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

scarepanda wrote: »
    With regards to type of bird seed, what's the best type?
    this time of year - especially with the cold that's now arrived - fat balls are good. don't get them with the nets around each ball, or at least take the net off before leaving them out for the birds.

What foods do you find you go through the quickest?

In my garden it's the sunflower hearts that are the most popular - the assorted finches can't get enough of them and there's not too much waste associated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭corks finest

Be aware draws rodents unless you are meticulous in your clean up, especially nijer seed,I fed my goldfinches for years but had too stop ref mice etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Peanuts in a peanut feeder - avoid peanuts in nets - are fine for sparrows, tits, greenfinch and chaffinch. There's no waste left on the ground. Goldfinches and linnets prefer sunflower hearts but they discard a small amount of seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ulmus wrote: »
    Peanuts in a peanut feeder - avoid peanuts in nets - are fine for sparrows, tits, greenfinch and chaffinch. There's no waste left on the ground. Goldfinches and linnets prefer sunflower hearts but they discard a small amount of seed.
    Discard a lot ( husks)

thanks everyone!

I had 3 or 4 feeders on the go last year with peanuts and suet balls, but i was buying the 5kg buckets. They were expensive and i used to fly through them. I want to add some more feeders this year and buy bigger bags.

Discard a lot ( husks)

Sunflower hearts are husk free

There can still be some mess but a lot less than sunflower seeds

I got seed at the weekend (was too impatient to wait for online order, but will order for next time) and put out three feeders yesterday. Roughly how long does it usually take for birds to come back into the garden? I can't wait to see them flitting about and showing them to my toddler!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I got seed at the weekend (was too impatient to wait for online order, but will order for next time) and put out three feeders yesterday. Roughly how long does it usually take for birds to come back into the garden? I can't wait to see them flitting about and showing them to my toddler!

It can be anything from an hour to a week or more. Patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What garden birds eat dried mealworm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Keplar240B wrote: »
    What garden birds eat dried mealworm?

Most of them. Blackbirds, Robins, Starlings, Blue Tits...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hens adore them, too. :)

I was counting the birds today at one stage and there were 15 goldfinches, 2 green finches, 2 chaffinches, a Robbin and a few bluetits. Happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I did the same... nice job.

Bought few feeders and seeds.
    Found that the "ticker an bigger" is not so loved by some birds.
    Then,went and bought a smaller type seeds and looks like a better succes.

What about the vegetable sremains from the kitchen,will they be ok ?!

They tend to make a big mess on the ground and i have 3 wild cats just waiting at the corner to get better to hunting.
    Did my best to protect the tree branches against the cats .

Really enjoy it.

472608.jpg

472609.jpg

Advertisement