Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what would you give?

Options
  • 30-01-2019 6:27pm

So a very good friend of mine it tying the knot this year. Himself and herself are already set up. Beautiful house, steady incomes (he's a very successful businessman), fantastic lifestyles and the most important part...they have a beautiful little daughter. I'm used to just sticking cash into a card and leaving it at that but this one is different. The idea of trying to decide a gift based on what I wrote above would get me a bolloking from them. If I showed up with nothing they probably wouldn't bat an eyelid and just be happy that their special day is happening. They're those kind of people. Also, there is no way in hell I would show up at one of my best friends weddings empty handed. I'm just not sure what to have in my hand this time.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Their house, lifestyle, income or daughter should have no bearing on what you decide to give them as a wedding present. If you normally give cash, then give cash unless you feel you want to give them a physical present for some reason. The vast majority of people give cash as a present these days regardless of their relationship to the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Voucher for time away together somewhere they haven’t thought of themselves. Monart always goes down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

One of my best friends got married last year. I felt giving cash was not enough.
    I ended up giving them a voucher for weekend away (to the Monart actually).
    They ended up going there on the first step of their honeymoon after so it worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A blue book voucher. You then have a range of beautiful places in Ireland to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As above, a voucher for somewhere to go might be nice, if they are people who would have childcare. For me, a voucher like that might be a bit of a chore to use, because I’d often be stuck for someone to mind my littlies.
    If you know their taste, a nice piece of wall art might be nice- something meaningful to them - a friend of mine got a framed painting of the church in which she got married as a wedding gift; and really loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Bluebook voucher is a good idea - there's plenty of choice - with or without kids.

I like the idea of some wall art - something related to the wedding day (or possible related to something they do or love)

A portrait of the couple? Or their daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I was given a voucher for here for my Birthday, we choose something then for the house. Not something I would have done myself. Some super photos if that would work for you?

https://www.gilesnorman.com/

Thanks for the replies folks. Never heard of blue look. Will look into that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

When my best friend got married, I gave her money but I also made her a picnic hamper which they took on their honeymoon down the country. Was only a small token but felt a bit more personal than just giving the mula!

I've known other people to get the words of the first dance framed and things like that. Plenty of things to do - the vouchers is a really nice idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I'd get them an experience, thoughtful and is appreciated. Parachute jump? Track day in mondello? Tickets to a concert. Even a voucher towards the above. Only if they were into it obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

If you are giving them a voucher for some time away, why not add the offer to childmind for the weekend also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I usually give wine as a wedding present, to couples who already have their homes set up.

kcdiom wrote: »
    If you are giving them a voucher for some time away, why not add the offer to childmind for the weekend also?

We're good friends but not that good. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Made my mind up based on suggestions here. Really appreciate the input.

Mods, close this if needs be.

Thanks again.

Advertisement