Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing this weekend 18/19/20 of Jan

• 18-01-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

This weekend sees a fair few fights in the states with tv coverage on sky and itv 4.

Saturday am @ 2am on Sky Sports Arena or 3:30am on Sky Sports Main Event

Demetrius Andrade vs Artur Akavov - WBO Middleweight Title

TJ Doheny vs Ryohei Takahashi - IBF Super-Bantamweight Title

Jorge Linares vs Pablo Cesar Cano

Sunday am @ 2am on ITV 4

Manny Pacquiao vs. Adrien Broner - WBA "regular" welterweight title

Badou Jack vs. Marcus Browne - vacant WBA interim light heavyweight title

Nordine Oubaali vs. Rau'shee Warren - vacant WBC bantamweight title

Jhack Tepora vs. Hugo Ruiz - WBA interim featherweight title

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Bryant Jennings vs Oscar Rivas is on Boxnation tonight from 2:30am too.
    Repeated at 10am tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Got to make Serrano-Taylor this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

TJ wins in the 11th and meets Danny Roman in ring after and both want the unification fight!

pac_man wrote: »
    Shakur Stevenson has improved alot since his earlier pro fights.
    Looks to have filled out a bit.
    I hate to say it but I like the look of him alot more than Mick Conlan.

Yep I'm impressed. There's definitely more room to improve from him too. Still only really developing his man strength.

Linares tko’d first round! Knocked down 3 times. Never seen that before. Cano came to fight

• Advertisement

****ing hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I’m a big fan of Stevenson - calling out Warrington- interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Linares was the big shock for me, really did not expect that. He looked shell shocked sitting on his stool.
    Doheny, I thought did well enough against a limited opponent and was never in any danger.
    Andrade fight was boring as ****. Poor stoppage at the end with 30 seconds remaining

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The Andrade stoppage was a disgrace. Just 30 seconds left in the fight and it was stopped for no reason.

Big win for Oscar Rivas against Jennings. Turned it all around in the 12th to stop him.

That stoppage was awful and unfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Broner looked in serious nick at the weigh in and Pacman is starting to slowdown, i can see a Broner win by ko on the cards most likely with a counter after Pacquiao takes too long to get in and out.
    AB Doesnt do much to help people warm to him but i have a feeling tonight could be the night he becomes the fighter he looked like hed be when he schooled Paulie as a youngster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Broner looked in serious nick at the weigh in and Pacman is starting to slowdown, i can see a Broner win by ko on the cards most likely with a counter after Pacquiao takes too long to get in and out.
    AB Doesnt do much to help people warm to him but i have a feeling tonight could be the night he becomes the fighter he looked like hed be when he schooled Paulie as a youngster.

He barely beat Paulie to be fair. The best of Broner has been and gone imo. His big size advantage he had at 130 and 135 is gone. Think he's in for a tough night, even against this old Pac.

Busy fighters will always outwork him.

Jack is one tough ****er. Horrendous cut. Terrible performance from him though. Maybe time to hang up the gloves, been in a fair few wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Is there a more beautiful sight in boxing than Broner shaking his head to say he isn't hurt when really he is.

10-2 Manny. Couldn't have gone much more to plan tbh. Broner predictably not throwing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Broner: " I out boxed him":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Manny v floyd rematch would be tasty:)

Broner is an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Got it completely wrong. Broner beat out the Gate.
    First time i've watched a full Fight of Brown, very impressed although Jack looks like he could he done.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Broner's hair is gonna be a right mess for years to come with the lack of a good combing.

Messing aside, what a waste of a career. Absolutely nothing between the ears. When he came on the scene first he was in prime position to take over the reigns from Mayweather. Attitude problem got the better of him. Pacman was there for the taking all night, I wish he would retire now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Broner's hair is gonna be a right mess for years to come with the lack of a good combing.

Messing aside, what a waste of a career. Absolutely nothing between the ears. When he came on the scene first he was in prime position to take over the reigns from Mayweather. Attitude problem got the better of him. Pacman was there for the taking all night, I wish he would retire now.

Not sure I agree. Since losing to Floyd he has won 4 out of 5 fights since (5/5 really as he was robbed against Jeff Horn). That's as good as any of the other top Welterweights in that time period. Granted he is not the same fighter he was and his footwork isn't quite the same but he has shown he still has speed and the power is the last thing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Broner really showed nothing in that fight, low output, back on the ropes, circling out of range and holding all the time.

Manny did a good job keeping the lead foot outside to finish his combos with the left, pivoting out and forcing Broner to reset. I don't think Broner was ever really in position to throw good combinations and I don't think he had trained hard enough for this one. Manny did leap in on his punches a lot during the early rounds but Broner did not punish him for this at any point. Routine win for Manny, and good for him, he's a classy operator.

It's basically the third time this has happened to Linares.

Never seen that live I should have said.

An enjoyable night friday in the Theater and got in for $43 with stubhub which is a pretty decent price. Arrived just as Serrano got her ko which was on the tv's outside. I approach women's boxing much the same as UFC. If there's an Irish person in I'm interested but otherwise no.

First up was Chris Algieri and I had wanted to see him live ever since that incredible victory over Provodnikov and in this all New York clash he won on points but never showed the fidgety crowd enough although to be fair it was his first fight in almost three years. Booed so much at the end that his interview could barely be heard!

Next up TJ and have to say it seemed like it was myself and another lad behind his wife that were supporting him. The great Irish sporting public! An Irish World Champion fighting in the Garden and there were more Japanese there.

Incorrectly introduced by the Predator as TJ DO-HEENY from the off not hard to surmise that TJ was a cut above his brave opponent. You could say this was a phone booth fight as both went at it. Despite a bloody clash of heads in the second this didnt stop TJ from knocking down Takahashi in the third with a great body head combo. Despite eating a lot of clean punches the Japanese was still in there despite being outpunched and in the eighth everybody thought it was time but he survived another onslaught back onto the ropes.

Finally in the eleventh the ref rightly stepped in and in his interview after TJ was talking about a unification fight when Danny Roman appeared in the ring!

IMG-4244.jpg

Next up Linares back in the zipcode where he had dropped Lomachenko but this time major shock as he was beaten up by a bigger opponent and on his ass in the first 15 seconds! No doubting Linares' skill but his resistance in all of the weight classes he has been in has been suspect. To be fair Cano was no journeyman given his record and his power was simply too much for the cold Linares who did concede the step up in weight was too much.

The noisy Venezuelans behind me were so disgusted with this showing they immediately fled!

IMG-4254.jpg

Main event time and first time for the anthems on the night. What struck me was the amount of people not standing but that is a sign of the times here sadly. First time I had seen both boxer and cornerman in balaclavas!

This Andrade fight was a bore and when I read reports after that this was a "sensational" performance I thought I should review my strict policy of not drinking before fights! After every round droves of punters were fleeing with those left shouting stuff like " HIT THE REF"!

Granted his jab and hand speed are good and he did enough to win this but in the 10th he had a golden opportunity to finish off Akavov and impress everyone. But the ending was awful. Not the timing really but the fact that the Russian wasnt being hurt and his protests were valid. More surprising considering the lineage of the referee Arthur Mercante jr.

IMG-4258.jpg

IMG-4261.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I enjoy reading your reports and looking at your photos Shoveller. You get to see another side of the story that doesn't come across the TV. Thanks for that.

Second that

I enjoy reading your reports and looking at your photos Shoveller. You get to see another side of the story that doesn't come across the TV. Thanks for that.

More than welcome. Forgot to add Akavov's promoter Lou DiBella was literally hopping mad at the decision at the main event above! Even hopped into the ring after to dispute the premature decision.

Anyway if any of you lads are ever over glad to meet up. Next adventure should be Conlan's annual visit to the Garden!

Advertisement