Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

TedR wrote: »
    I do get that, I just would have thought where a pilot is completely aware that he is in a difficult position and is working hard to recover the situation, it would be an added distraction and an added level of stress to have a robotic voice nagging you over and over.

The married pilots would be used to it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyone have any good apps for METAR and TAF's? Preferebly one that has quick access to the last few Metars. Pilot weather (which I paid for) has always had on and off functionality issues, but the latest is unresolved for over a month and all support seems to have disappeared. It's a pity as the app is easy to use with a very good layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have you tried AEROWEATHER? I think that the IPAD version has historical reports.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Have you tried AEROWEATHER? I think that the IPAD version has historical reports.

Sadly, Pilot weather is just the new name for Aeroweather. The android version always gave previous Metars and a good decoding tool for learning certain codes you'd never come across before, but lately it's deteriorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Interesting, I use the IOS PRO versions most days without issue.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Interesting, I use the IOS PRO versions most days without issue.

Interesting, must be an android formatting issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »

Apparently R116 checked to see if their landing gear was down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Positive of todays trip to RIX - first flight on a CSeries/A220. Frame in question was delivered as a CSeries - one of the older ones, their second actually - but has rebranded externally as A220-300.

Negative - my suitcase is still AWOL, probably in AMS, but not recorded as being on the late flight to RIX. And Air Baltic think a tenner a day is enough as an allowance. They'll be getting my travel insurance excess and can fight me for it.

L1011 wrote: »
    Frame in question was delivered as a CSeries - one of the older ones, their second actually - but has rebranded externally as A220-300.

Interesting. Who pays for that? It's not as if it'd need to be repainted yet.

A lot of repainted aircraft (not just new frames) have the manufacturer and type logo very carefully applied in a consistent position and style - do the manufacturers incentivise this in some way? In effect it's an ad for them.

If I was doing a trip like that I'd be more worried about the case going missing on the way home, would travel insurance cover replacing cheap foreign booze at Irish tax rates? Hardly! My comiserations and enjoy your stay :)

Edited to add: Compared to a 737 or 320 is the 220 more comfy? More quiet? Adequate overhead storage?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nice enough inside, not as quiet as billed - hydraulics certainly noisy anyway. Overhead is basically the same but for 1/6th fewer passengers, still crowded as BT charge heftily for bags

My case arrived to the hotel by TNT 46 hours after we landed. Fully intact and bloody freezing, luckily the main liquids in it were alcohol based (cologne etc). Had a rush tag for the late flight last night so it spent a day and a bit either on the tarmac or in the baggage facility in AMS - and they kept claiming it was not traced

They'll be getting a H&M and a supermarket receipt for clothes and toiletries anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Excellent, I used to fly quite a bit with BOAC as a kid, usually on VC10s.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Saw that info. Should look great.
    However I do wonder at the timing.
    Imperial Airways was founded in 1924, so more like their 95th birthday?

Tenger wrote: »

Very interesting. Seems like a marketing scheme more than anything else!

However, it's nice to see that they're painting the 747's which means (short of guarantees) they'll be around for another few years in a business sense.

Tenger wrote: »

BOAC came into being in 1939 with a merger of Imperial and other carriers. It took an act of parliament to get it done. So more like the 80th anniversary?

RadioRetro wrote: »
    BOAC came into being in 1939 with a merger of Imperial and other carriers. It took an act of parliament to get it done. So more like the 80th anniversary?
    I would agree with you only that the marketing info for the retro shows the log "BA 100"

BA trace their lineage back to Imperial Airways. This was formed in 1924 with the Speedbird as its logo.
    BEA was formed in early 1946 as a subsidary of BOAC but was wholly seperate by August 1946.
    BA itself was formed in 1974 with the merger of BOAC and BEA.

So line is Imperial-> BOAC-> BA.

Looking through history on wikipedia. Imperial Airways was created by the merger of 4 UK airlines in 1924.
    -The Instone Air Line Company, formed in April 1920.
    -British Marine Air Navigation, formed in 1923.
    -The Daimler Airway, formed in June 1919.
    -Handley Page Transport Co Ltd., formed in 1919.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Airways
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instone_Air_Line
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Marine_Air_Navigation_Co_Ltd
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Airway
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My Dad used to travel as a young man between England and Zambia. IIrc the route was a permutation/combination of Southampton, Sicily, Cairo/Alex, Luxor, Khartoum, Port Bell/Kampala and Victoria Falls. Anybody suss what type? Broke down in Khartoum once and had to wait a week for the part, but fortunately he knew some local on the flight so had a place to stay.

tricky D wrote: »
    My Dad used to travel as a young man between England and Zambia. IIrc the route was a permutation/combination of Southampton, Sicily, Cairo/Alex, Luxor, Khartoum, Port Bell/Kampala and Victoria Falls. Anybody suss what type? Broke down in Khartoum once and had to wait a week for the part, but fortunately he knew some local on the flight so had a place to stay.
    1950s, 60s, 70s? I only ask as I lived in Khartoum in the 60s and we travelled to/from London by BOAC VC10 or Sudan Airways Comet.

Early 50s

• Advertisement

Ah, afraid I wasn't around then.

Fished this October 1954 BOAC timetable from timetableimages.com. Although your dad may have been on another flyer such as East African Airways.

That distance (and the nearly two days to Joburg) in what is basically a pressurised DC4 wouldn't have been fun!

L1011 wrote: »
    That distance (and the nearly two days to Joburg) in what is basically a pressurised DC4 wouldn't have been fun!

Those Merlins were bloody noisy too!

Life ain't always empty.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Although your dad may have been on another flyer such as East African Airways.
    Short Solent was what he flew on. All ports or rivers for landing/to. It wasn't long before the airports were built and boats no longer required.

https://www.tothevictoriafalls.com/vfpages/tourism/flyingboats.html

Hope to get there in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Jude13

I just booked upgrades with Emirates using my miles and as of 01 March they no longer provide chauffeur service when upgrading using miles.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I just booked upgrades with Emirates using my miles and as of 01 March they no longer provide chauffeur service when upgrading using miles.

Oh the horror! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Jude13

Devalues the well earned miles further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

"The man who wanted to fly"

Went to see this film tonight.
    I think it'd interest many on this forum.
    Great film, and very thought provoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Sounds nice.

Advertisement