Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hip Hop Books

Options
  • 09-01-2019 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Are there any good autobiographies written by hip hop stars? Preferably old school hip hop. I'm almost certain Ice T has one but I've not read it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I tried Chuck D's one. Couldn't get into it. It hasn't aged well IMO.
    There's a great fictional one called a Hip Hop Story by Heru Ptah. Very hard to find here, in fact I think I picked it up in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I'm reading the beastie boys book at the amount and loving it, only came out a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm reading the beastie boys book at the amount and loving it, only came out a few months ago.

Same here, got it for a Christmas present and really loving it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Scarface's book is supposed to be excellent.
    RZA has one that's supposed to be good.
    Buck 65 has one, it's not really a book about hip hop, more-so a collection of short stories about him growing up and how it all intertwines with music. It's really good.
    J-Zone has an excellent book - link below.

Blueprint has 3 books I believe, I've yet to read any of them, but they centre around the music industry.

We have had a few threads on this over the years as well

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76121930

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58528887

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74782442

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thanks for the suggestions. I got RZA's book and U-God's book for Christmas so looking forward to getting into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

'My Infamous Life' by Prodigy is a brilliant book, a real page turner. The audio book version is even more entertaining with P narrating, the sound effects, voices, etc. i think it is all up on YouTube.

The unintentional funny parts are when Prodigy goes in depth about an altercation that almost took place. "I was about to give son a buck 50 outside the club...but then I realized McDonalds closed in 5 minutes and I didn't eat all day! Son is lucky because if a nigga wasn't starving he would have caught it!"

Advertisement