Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted Houses etc in Clare/Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Chimo29

back again... Well I drove by and it still looks uninhabited. My girlfriend will not stop there so I didn't get the chance to go in and have a look. 
    If there's anyone who lives nearby, is there any chance you could take some pictures of it and through the window to post on here. I'm surprised its not mentioned much anywhere yet the stories about it amongst locals in Connemara are surreal. Maybe there's a reason for that though...
    Any photos would be greatly appreciated :D
    One day I will get to stop and have a proper look hopefully

Milly33 wrote: »
    No never managed to get there myself, checked out the one in Oranmore but there isnt a hope of getting in there unless you have a streamers
    Milly did you ever get to go see the house in oughterard? Im so curious about this but tend to hold back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hey no i never did, due to baby arrival and no car anymore never called.. Kinda put the ghost hunting behind me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Djseamus

Hey folks. Just came across this post and thought I’d give some information on the lodge just outside of oughterard village. I can tell you all that the lodge is very dangerous as it was actually a soup kitchen during the famine and a lot of people died there. A lot of people have tried to live there over the years but it seems misfortune comes to anyone who attempts to stay there. During the 70’s or 80’s sometime a family with a newborn baby moved in and the baby mysteriously died in the house, with the family moving out soon after. My father passed by there on the way home from school when he was a teenager and he and his friends decided to pick apples out of the trees one evening. Once they had filled a cap with these apples anyway they heard a woman’s voice shouting at them; “these apples are not yours” and my dads friends ran off but my dad waited to see if anyone was there, yet there was no one to be seen. He says he made a big mistake taking the apples with him as he believes it’s brought him misfortune ever since. I myself passed by in a car a few years back. Tried to take a photo on my phone as we passed and my phone just turned off when I hit the shutter button! Definitely a dangerous place and I would recommend keeping a distance. I do have more information to share if anyone is interested and I visit oughterard often with my father as he owns a house and land out there. If anyone wants more info I can provide more as I have a wealth of information from my father and his friends and locals from the village.

Hi djseamus
    Thanks for the info. Alot more than I have heard before. My girlfriend is the one who keep A stopping me from going in as I live in Dublin and only pass by there whenever we go to cleggan.
    I first heard of this place from my mother when I was a teenager and it's fascinated me since. Only the once have i stopped and looked in and honestly it was so strange. All table set and seemed lived in but yet dusty like it hasn't been inhabited in many years. The back door shook when we went close to it and bats then flew out. Couldn't make this stuff up... I remember saying to my friend at the time this would make the perfect horror movie setting.
    That was in 2003 and I haven't gone into the grounds since.
    I often wondered why there's nothing on Google about it but maybe that's for a reason too. Unlike the usual haunted house attractions such as Wicklow jail etc maybe it's just not a good place to publicise.
    You said it used to be a soup kitchen during the famine years? I just wanted to clarify it is the house directly opposite the lake Lough agraffard? On Google maps is labelled as lake side house.
    You said you have more information on it too. I'd love to hear more about it if your willing to write more about it. It's intriguing.
    After what you say though I really don't know if I could go back into the grounds and see but I would really like to know more at the same time.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Djseamus wrote: »
    Hey folks. Just came across this post and thought I’d give some information on the lodge just outside of oughterard village. I can tell you all that the lodge is very dangerous as it was actually a soup kitchen during the famine and a lot of people died there. A lot of people have tried to live there over the years but it seems misfortune comes to anyone who attempts to stay there. During the 70’s or 80’s sometime a family with a newborn baby moved in and the baby mysteriously died in the house, with the family moving out soon after. My father passed by there on the way home from school when he was a teenager and he and his friends decided to pick apples out of the trees one evening. Once they had filled a cap with these apples anyway they heard a woman’s voice shouting at them; “these apples are not yours” and my dads friends ran off but my dad waited to see if anyone was there, yet there was no one to be seen. He says he made a big mistake taking the apples with him as he believes it’s brought him misfortune ever since. I myself passed by in a car a few years back. Tried to take a photo on my phone as we passed and my phone just turned off when I hit the shutter button! Definitely a dangerous place and I would recommend keeping a distance. I do have more information to share if anyone is interested and I visit oughterard often with my father as he owns a house and land out there. If anyone wants more info I can provide more as I have a wealth of information from my father and his friends and locals from the village.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Is this the gate?

N59
    https://goo.gl/maps/ji7tG8CJDXH2

Hi, yes that's the one alright

Chimo29 wrote: »
    Hi, yes that's the one alright

Cool, I'll take a look next time I'm up that way.

Brilliant. If you can, take some pictures of around the house and through the windows too if possible. If it's too freaky then don't worry but if you could it'd be great. I'm really curious about it now. It's been 15 years and id love to know if it's still the same inside. If your anyway freaked out by these things though be careful lol
    Cool, I'll take a look next time I'm up that way.

Ahh i really want to go now think we are spinning out that way at the weekend might get the chance

• Advertisement

We'll if you do please post some pics both inside and out.. i want to go see it but we live so far away so Are only down there one or twice a year and my girlfriend refuses outright to stop there. She believes it has brought me bad fortune before and will again of I go near it lol... and I never drive down to connemara alone anyway so it's hard to get the chance. I'm dying to see inside again after 15 years or so.
    Ahh i really want to go now think we are spinning out that way at the weekend might get the chance

Will we are supposed to head up that way at the weekend so looking hopefully ill have to rem to bring the camera with me.. I suppose you can just park up outside the gate..

Yeah you have to pull in tight against the gate. It's quite close to the road. Please do bring the camera lol. I remember around the back the back door was wooden and rotten and bats flew out of it. It was dusk at the time.
    Will we are
    supposed to head up that way at the weekend so looking hopefully ill have to rem to bring the camera with me.. I suppose you can just park up outside the gate..

Chimo29 wrote: »
    Brilliant. If you can, take some pictures of around the house and through the windows too if possible. If it's too freaky then don't worry but if you could it'd be great. I'm really curious about it now. It's been 15 years and id love to know if it's still the same inside. If your anyway freaked out by these things though be careful lol

It's just a house, nothing to be freaked about, but it sounds interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

A lot of people say that house on the corner off the roundabout near the bus/train station in Ennis is supposed to be haunted.

Also there's a house near Corofin, it's slightly off the beaten track that's supposed to be haunted.
    It's quite a spooky looking place to be honest.

Hi just wondering if you got any more info on the place?

Thanks

Djseamus wrote: »

sorry we never got to call today, bit of a scatty day and not the best day to do it as a family member passed away. But fully plan on taking a trip back there

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Glassman00

Assuming the coordinates given here are correct, I'm going to head there this Sunday. Will take photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Glassman00 wrote: »
    Assuming the coordinates given here are correct, I'm going to head there this Sunday. Will take photos.

There's an old creepy house in Corofin Co Clare too well worth a visit.

It's an old house opposite side of the road to Moy house, slightly up the hill.

Supposedly the last owner went nuts and couldn't handle the place, left it and never even came back to collect their belongings...

Tacklebox wrote: »
    There's an old creepy house in Corofin Co Clare too well worth a visit.

It's an old house opposite side of the road to Moy house, slightly up the hill.

Supposedly the last owner went nuts and couldn't handle the place, left it and never even came back to collect their belongings...

I could go check that one out too. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

So I went up to Oughterard today. Forgot yesterday was Mother's Day so had to change plans. I did find an old abandoned house just opposite the lake, before the turn off to the Quiet Man Bridge. I went by the map posted on here earlier.

I don't think it is the house that was talked about here but I went and had a look anyway. Some of the windows were opened and inside it looked like a dumping ground for old gear. There's some newer items in there like a strimmer which suggests that it's probably used recently. Nothing creepy or spectacular about the place.

Down the road from that house, if you were heading back to Oughterard, is an old rusted gate and a house kind of up on a hill, back in behind some trees. I think this may be the one that we're on about here. If it is, well the bad news is that it's all done up pretty and is currently being lived in. There's another entrance to the property just down from the gate.

I didn't want to go snooping around someone's home but there was a mail box just by the new entrance. It was open and I just took a quick peek inside and saw some fresh mail. So yeah, short of asking the owners whether anything spooky is happening, I think that's that. Tried asking some locals about the house in Oughterard but came up empty. I couldn't find any other houses along that stretch that matches up.

I have pictures, mostly again of that other house if anyone is interested. I took a few pictures of the rusty gate and new entrance into the lived property but nothing more for obvious reasons. Where's the best place to upload them for viewing?

• Advertisement

I could go check that one out too. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

So I went up to Oughterard today. Forgot yesterday was Mother's Day so had to change plans. I did find an old abandoned house just opposite the lake, before the turn off to the Quiet Man Bridge. I went by the map posted on here earlier.

I don't think it is the house that was talked about here but I went and had a look anyway. Some of the windows were opened and inside it looked like a dumping ground for old gear. There's some newer items in there like a strimmer which suggests that it's probably used recently. Nothing creepy or spectacular about the place.

Down the road from that house, if you were heading back to Oughterard, is an old rusted gate and a house kind of up on a hill, back in behind some trees. I think this may be the one that we're on about here. If it is, well the bad news is that it's all done up pretty and is currently being lived in. There's another entrance to the property just down from the gate.

I didn't want to go snooping around someone's home but there was a mail box just by the new entrance. It was open and I just took a quick peek inside and saw some fresh mail. So yeah, short of asking the owners whether anything spooky is happening, I think that's that. Tried asking some locals about the house in Oughterard but came up empty. I couldn't find any other houses along that stretch that matches up.

I have pictures, mostly again of that other house if anyone is interested. I took a few pictures of the rusty gate and new entrance into the lived property but nothing more for obvious reasons. Where's the best place to upload them for viewing?

This gate ?
    N59
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/KvBtX

Yep. That's the one. Here's my picture for comparison.

aVwKXx.jpg

Also, here's the entrance to the property just down the road from that gate.

aUYKhU.jpg

Took a trip to Corofin a couple of days ago. It involved some driving around the area but I found the house out there. It's still abandoned and shuttered up. As you look into the yard the first thing I saw was an old wheel chair sitting there just beyond the gate.

Getting into the property is no hassle. Just a quick jump over the crumbling walls. There's some large storage sheds right by the entrance next to the gates. There's a lot of junk thrown in there. Doors are hanging off or gone.

The house itself sits up on a hill. It looks like a one-storey at first glance but there's actually a large basement level. Apparently, this is where the kitchen would have been located along with many other rooms. The house is larger than you'd think at first glance. It stretches right back. At the rear of the house you can see down into a small court yard and get a better idea of the basement/first floor structure.

It's locked up tighter than a drum though so I didn't go inside. There's a lot of broken windows caused by local youth, so I was told, but the shutters are secured. Out the back of the house is an old tower in view. On the property right at the back also is another smaller house structure, mostly dilapidated. The roof is missing off most of it. It could also have been another work shed. A large arch that leads out to the road up to the tower is located there too.

Got talking to a few locals. Found out the name of the place is called Adelphi House. Apparently it was home to a Mary Fitzgerald at one time and then a man named Brian Blood. I never mentioned anything about ghost stories but they brought it up sure enough.

One story of Mary was that when she would have dinner guests over, they would hear talking and comotion coming from the kitchen. Thinking it was staff, they would make nothing of it. Mary however apparently had no staff on hand for such things. And the kitchen was usually empty when she wasn't using it.

So the house is locally believed to be haunted. No stories about an owner driven mad however. One of the locals I talked to said you wouldn't catch him dead in the property, let alone inside the house though. So there's that. The word around the place is that a man from Dublin bought the property 10 years ago and began some work on it, trying to restore it back. That would explain some of the construction signs I saw around the place as well as the hard hat just sitting on a wall. Well, whatever he was doing, this buyer hasn't been seen near the property in almost a decade. Work stopped shortly after it started.

So, someone owns it but isn't doing anything with it. I didn't get any creepy or weird feelings while poking about the place. Kind of felt peaceful to be honest. It's a quiet area with a view of the lake. There's also supposed to be a grotto there too but I didn't find one.

Here's a link to a ghost story I found where the house is mentioned.
    https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922359/4874103/5078644

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

Took a trip to Corofin a couple of days ago. It involved some driving around the area but I found the house out there. It's still abandoned and shuttered up. As you look into the yard the first thing I saw was an old wheel chair sitting there just beyond the gate.

Getting into the property is no hassle. Just a quick jump over the crumbling walls. There's some large storage sheds right by the entrance next to the gates. There's a lot of junk thrown in there. Doors are hanging off or gone.

The house itself sits up on a hill. It looks like a one-storey at first glance but there's actually a large basement level. Apparently, this is where the kitchen would have been located along with many other rooms. The house is larger than you'd think at first glance. It stretches right back. At the rear of the house you can see down into a small court yard and get a better idea of the basement/first floor structure.

It's locked up tighter than a drum though so I didn't go inside. There's a lot of broken windows caused by local youth, so I was told, but the shutters are secured. Out the back of the house is an old tower in view. On the property right at the back also is another smaller house structure, mostly dilapidated. The roof is missing off most of it. It could also have been another work shed. A large arch that leads out to the road up to the tower is located there too.

Got talking to a few locals. Found out the name of the place is called Adelphi House. Apparently it was home to a Mary Fitzgerald at one time and then a man named Brian Blood. I never mentioned anything about ghost stories but they brought it up sure enough.

One story of Mary was that when she would have dinner guests over, they would hear talking and comotion coming from the kitchen. Thinking it was staff, they would make nothing of it. Mary however apparently had no staff on hand for such things. And the kitchen was usually empty when she wasn't using it.

So the house is locally believed to be haunted. No stories about an owner driven mad however. One of the locals I talked to said you wouldn't catch him dead in the property, let alone inside the house though. So there's that. The word around the place is that a man from Dublin bought the property 10 years ago and began some work on it, trying to restore it back. That would explain some of the construction signs I saw around the place as well as the hard hat just sitting on a wall. Well, whatever he was doing, this buyer hasn't been seen near the property in almost a decade. Work stopped shortly after it started.

So, someone owns it but isn't doing anything with it. I didn't get any creepy or weird feelings while poking about the place. Kind of felt peaceful to be honest. It's a quiet area with a view of the lake. There's also supposed to be a grotto there too but I didn't find one.

Here's a link to a ghost story I found where the house is mentioned.
    https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4922359/4874103/5078644

Very interesting

in the 70 and 80's Adelphi was owned by Frank Quinn and his wife Vera Considine.

They had no kids and my Dad was a nephew of Vera

I loved as a kid visiting the place - the house, the grounds, the lake

and Frank did tell me stories about the ghost - I forget the name but it was a female name - She would take things - but then if he asked her she would leave them back

I think my parents thought he was winding me and my brother up - but having found this thread - who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Becklegs

My boyfriend and I visited this house back in the summer of 2016 as my Uncle always told us of the family being forced out by a poltergeist many years ago and the Bishop of Galway unsuccessfully exorcising this house. He said people tried to hang curtains up in it but they were always torn down and even though bets were made to stay in the house overnight, no one ever managed it. We made a short video of entering via the rusty iron gate but as soon as the house came into sight, it was obvious someone was living there at the time so we retreated quickly.

I have a video link for the abovementioned video but Boards.ie won't let me post as I am a new user. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

hi - was that the Clare (Corofin) or Galway (oughterard) house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Becklegs

Hi - this is the lakeside house on N59 outside Oughterard, Co. Galway.

Anyone have any more info on this house on the N59 or pictures. no pictures from above posts are showing.
    The hosue I was originally talking about is right opposite a lake, lough agraffard on the right when coming from oughterard.. literally about 30 feet behind some trees off the road. there is an old iron gate alright. not up on a hill though. its literally about 30 feet from the road amongst a darkened area with trees.
    53.423930, -9.406451 these are the google map coordinates,
    It this the same house you guys are talking of? I'd love to see pics from inside but don't dare to go near this again after my 2003 experience.. although not so bad but had some pretty bad years after that for a while. Luckily past it all now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

tossed now

Advertisement