Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old coin set

• 23-11-2018 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am getting a set of pre decimalised coins for christmas. They are meant to be uncirculated coins but no document with them to back this up.

there are coming in a green wallet from the seller. I feel this leaves them a bit exposed and was thinking i would rehouse him in a display case and get each coin stored in the plastic holders. Sorry if this is a daft question but new to the game and first time getting coins that did not come direct from Central Bank

Where in Dublin would be the best place to get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

If its the set I’m thinking of they’ve been in that green folder for 40+ years and it won’t have done them any harm. They’re not worth enough to worry about casing them

What year are the coins and what did you pay if you don’t mind saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

What year are the coins and what did you pay if you don’t mind saying

Yea it is the set you are thinking of. My issue is more around how they will look in another 50 years plus when I pass them on

The complete pre-decimal type coin set includes eight (8) coins: Farthing (1959), Half-Penny (1965), Penny (1965), Three-Pence (1964), Six-Pence (1964), Shilling (1964), Florin (1965), and Half-Crown (1964)

Think my mother paid €50

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

scheister wrote: »
    Hi,

I am getting a set of pre decimalised coins for christmas. They are meant to be uncirculated coins but no document with them to back this up.

there are coming in a green wallet from the seller. I feel this leaves them a bit exposed and was thinking i would rehouse him in a display case and get each coin stored in the plastic holders. Sorry if this is a daft question but new to the game and first time getting coins that did not come direct from Central Bank

Where in Dublin would be the best place to get this done?

These green wallets were used by the Central Bank in the 60s to make up sets. A lot of mixed date sets and also 1966 sets which was the only one since 1940 to have all 8 coins. They are common and in numismatic terms not particularly valuable.

The wallets do not protect the coins well. However to replace them with a display case could be expensive (the only thing I can think of is picture framing gallery). I am not sure if the contents (coin set) would justify the cost of a frame!

I am looking from a numismatic perspective. Others will obviouly have different angles.

You could just get the clear plastic coin capsules and put them in those but to be honest I’d just leave them in the folder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement