Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any archaeological endeavors being made to take advantage of the drought?

• 05-07-2018 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Just crossed my mind while cutting the brown patch that we once called a lawn.

There is a fairly obvious oblong pattern in the lawn that looks like there are foundations to an old building down there. No sign of a structure on any of the old ordinance survey maps so just a chance there is something of interest.

Anyway the obvious extension is that there must be areas worth surveying possibly by air in these extreme weather conditions to see if anything shows up.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember that the big drought of 1976 showed up a load of new sites in England for that very reason.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wibbs wrote: »
    I remember that the big drought of 1976 showed up a load of new sites in England for that very reason.

That was part of my thinking.

Used to have an aerial photograph of the stately home where I worked taken that summer that showed up all the old land drains and most of them were buried 4 - 6 foot under ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107483218&postcount=4305

seen this in the weather forum, thought you guys in here might find this interesting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Shadows of ancient settlements. Cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

This might be a good time to walk around lake shores. I have found numerous deposits of slag, from early metal working, on our lake shore, exposed because of the low water level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Biggest issue I am seeing in this almost perfect weather is that most of the Online maps are Sooooo out of date it is laughable.
    The maps on the NMS website seem to be about 10 years out of date!

I would have thought it was a bit of a no brainer for any one (or group) interested in archaeology in a particular area to team up with someone with a decent quadrocopter to take a look around while we still have this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Any suggestions for potential locations of interest in the Wicklow area? Might try and get out and fly at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

HighLine wrote: »
    Any suggestions for potential locations of interest in the Wicklow area? Might try and get out and fly at the weekend.

Maybe this helps?

http://www.irishmegaliths.org.uk/wicklow.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

my3cents wrote: »
    Just crossed my mind while cutting the brown patch that we once called a lawn.

There is a fairly obvious oblong pattern in the lawn that looks like there are foundations to an old building down there. No sign of a structure on any of the old ordinance survey maps so just a chance there is something of interest.

Anyway the obvious extension is that there must be areas worth surveying possibly by air in these extreme weather conditions to see if anything shows up.

Video here and article (ref linked twitter above)

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0711/977969-newgrange/

gozunda wrote: »
    Video here and article (ref linked twitter above)

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0711/977969-newgrange/

Interesting point about the henge showing up in the crop I would have been looking at grassland sites. Would love to see an after a picture of that site taken post harvest to see how it changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ZeRoY wrote: »

Thanks, will have a look through the list tonight and see about possible locations.

Advertisement