Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power kites

• 24-03-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am thinking of taking up powerkites (The legs cant take running anymore) has anyone got any information on what would be a good starter kite, the cost and were to get one. ALS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Not to put you off, but power kites can be extremely hard on the legs.

Kites can be quite expensive, i've a nice radsail savage that was fairly cheap and is a lot of fun.

Have a look on ebay, or a search on adverts for a cheap 4 line kite.

I have a good few sizes and find myself using the 5.5m most, but starting out i used a cheap chinese-imported-non-brand-generic-four-line-kite that is 2m, and found it excellent to learn, no risk of flying over any rainbows and great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Not to mention hard on the arms, and your ass. Ever get dragged along by one of those things! Fun, but can be sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

What is the difference between a 4 line and a 2 line kite? How long does it take to set one up and can i get it to take off by myself? I was looking at 3.5m kite 110 euros its a 4 line.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

jkl wrote: »
    search on adverts for a cheap 4 line kite.

would you no think that a 4 line kite for a beginer is a bit much to set up? with no one showing them how to use it.
    There's a lot going on and from experence with others the only way you to really learn how to work with four strings and be shown.... Unless youve got knowlage of things like sails etc because they are tricky Knots in bridals for instance..

Als76 wrote: »
    What is the difference between a 4 line and a 2 line kite? How long does it take to set one up and can i get it to take off by myself? I was looking at 3.5m kite 110 euros its a 4 line.

Thanks

3.5 meter kite is to much id remomend going for something a lot more tame... Simply because yyour learning you've got to take into account wind speed direction. Gust, a big kite wont nesccerlilly help and be more fun to learn simply because your not either getting dragged down the beach or, crashing it and getting in a muddle.
    personally speaking i think you should be on a one meter 2 lined, and learn to walk and then run and i dont mean that in a abnouxous way its just the best way going about things... if you have kids they can learn on th eone meter...

personally i feel as a first kite should be a 2 string...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

I started on a 2m 4-line, took about a day and a half to get the hang of it, and a bit of time to get to grips with using the brake lines for turning, jumping, spinning, reverse launch etc.

If you've got transport I'd be happy to meet up with you in the Curragh, (unless you happen to be in Dublin any time soon) and let you have a look a few different kites (2-line 1.5m, 4-line 2m -handles, and 4line 5.5m handles / bar).

I'm trying to learn to landboard, still having some trouble with tacking and various other things...

Edit, just spotted you're in Louth, for some odd reason i thought you were in Kildare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Als76 wrote: »

Thanks

The difference between 2 line and four lines is that instead of just 2 lines attached to the kite, there are four. the two extra lines are used to adjust the plane of the kite. I forget which it is, but pushing or pulling the bottom of the handles brakes the kite and slows it down. Doing the opposite then fills the kite with more air giving it more power.

Whats your previous experience with kites? I started on a little 4ft stunt, and moved up to a 5ft then 8ft. Then my first experience on a power kite was a 2 or 3meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Thanks for the advice guys i am going for an Eolo Aztec 4 line 2m it looks the best value. It looks like an excellent hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 salmas

Just remember to read the instructions on packing and unpacking the kite to avoid many wasted hours on the beach trying to sort out tangled lines!!

2m or 2.5m is perfect for learning and will still give loads of power to pull either you or buggy in a good wind.

Safe flying!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I'd agree with jkl, a 2 m kite is an ideal starter. Plenty of power if the wind is right but on a less windy day it should be easier to handle.

+1 on the instructions also. Tying the kite off properly when finished is time well spent. A tangle can be very frustrating.

jkl - didn't get round to taking you up on test flying that big kite of yours. Going to start researching for an larger kite investment this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

i've a slightly bigger one up on adverts if interested, see sig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭narmst

jkl wrote: »
    I started on a 2m 4-line, took about a day and a half to get the hang of it, and a bit of time to get to grips with using the brake lines for turning, jumping, spinning, reverse launch etc.

If you've got transport I'd be happy to meet up with you in the Curragh, (unless you happen to be in Dublin any time soon) and let you have a look a few different kites (2-line 1.5m, 4-line 2m -handles, and 4line 5.5m handles / bar).

I'm trying to learn to landboard, still having some trouble with tacking and various other things...

Edit, just spotted you're in Louth, for some odd reason i thought you were in Kildare...

Just starting myself. My partner got a 2.5M 2 line and I loved it so bought a pansh 5m 4 line off adverts. Need to wait for a calmer day to take the 5m to the curragh but can't wait to try it. Took a bit of a chance on the 4 line/5m/pansh brand but hopefully it will work out.

Advertisement