Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I need people to check my website ASAP before TV appearance!

Options
  • 31-01-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

To cut a long story short, I will be on tv tomorrow.

Can people please check my website and let me know if everything looks good to you?

I am mainly worried about the responsiveness and load speed. If any text doesn't look like it is layed out properly or pictures or videos are lined up oddly then please let me.

If you could post what device you are using that would be a great help e.g. Iphone 6s, e.g. Desktop 15inch screen.

Thanks!

P.s. I know there the removal video is missing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Scrolling down the page, by swiping up phone, you get to video and then picture of white tiled bathroom. When trying to swipe past that image a magnifying feature kicks in and cannot scroll any more. Have to make sure not to touch that picture in order to move page.
    On Android Samsung S9.
    Page looks good apart from that.
    Good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I know the exact issue. I am debating whether to remove the zoom on it or not... Slightly unsure what to do.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

From a website performance/stress perspsective normally I'd recommend you create a static entry html page (index.html) very lightweight with a "Welcome to ABC viewers." with a nice photo and "special discount coupon code for viewers" email subscription box. On the side have a big call to action to enter the main site as well. That would be enough to satisfy the mildly curious and keep the rest of the site up.

You're on shopify, they should be fine to deal with heavy traffic from a performance standpoint. You could contact support to let them know there might be a traffic spike. This guide from them is worth a look: https://www.shopify.ie/blog/bfcm-checklist

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

tacofries wrote: »
    I know the exact issue. I am debating whether to remove the zoom on it or not... Slightly unsure what to do.

Thank you :D

Remove the zoom 100%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks fine in Chrome, Firefox and Opera on a PC.
    Small gripe - have to use back button to get back to the main site from 'Terms of service' and the policy pages. Not the end of the world.

I actually saw one of them in a friend's bathroom and am thinking of buying a few.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Congrats on the tv slot - great to see things progressing.
    Site speed is fine - loads in 2s which is below the 3s in which the majority of people leave a website for loading too slow.

As mentioned above I would consider removing the zoom - its the same on desktop when you are moving the mouse around and can be a bit of a distraction when you are scrolling or moving that it jumps up at you. A click to zoom option would be better than hover if possible - if not remove for now.

Best of luck!

spurious wrote: »
    I actually saw one of them in a friend's bathroom and am thinking of buying a few.

Thank you for going to the bother of checking the different browsers.

That has made my evening!! I have only been selling since October and it feels so good to hear that people are randomly spotting The ShowerGem in other peoples houses. Even on nights out, I bump into complete strangers who have told me that their friends or family have bought a ShowerGem. Crazy to think...

I recommend that you buy them tonight if you are as orders placed tomorrow may potentially be delayed depending on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

Nice site! Looks well on Samsung.

Would change the scrolling type text, maybe have it flash up, but not a fan of the font. Seems dated so doesn't go with the rest of the site

Just my opinion

Overal the speed is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'd remove the zoom. The zoom also does not match up moving left to right.
    It start fine at the left but as you move right the image you see is further than where the mouse is.

If you get me, like mouse moves x+10 and image moves x+20.

On 13" laptop and Android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Sony Xperia xz3 looks good to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Your website will go down the minute you appear on TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Reviews section lack credibility, as no source/name/identity is shown under the actual 'testimonial'.

I have been told by Shopify that the website can handle 500k hits a minute so will be interesting to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Nice product! Good luck with the TV appearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I'd remove the zoom. The zoom also does not match up moving left to right.
    It start fine at the left but as you move right the image you see is further than where the mouse is.

If you get me, like mouse moves x+10 and image moves x+20.

On 13" laptop and Android phone.

Same issue here, laptop running Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

vicadd wrote: »
    Scrolling down the page, by swiping up phone, you get to video and then picture of white tiled bathroom. When trying to swipe past that image a magnifying feature kicks in and cannot scroll any more. Have to make sure not to touch that picture in order to move page.
    On Android Samsung S9.
    Good luck tomorrow
    Totally this.If I was thinking of buying,I'd have got to here and given up.Best of luck.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup. Same as others. Remove the zoom. I kept stumbling over it and it was ruining the flow of the site (on laptop).

It also doesn't work perfectly. What's supposed to be zoomed, and what is zoomed are 2 different things. They don't line up (See image). Chrome on a Macbook air

HZ2Qj1p.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Would agree with other posters here, the zoom in area detracts from the page I think, better to remove it completely, everything else on page is opening perfectly for me on a Xiaomi Redmi 2 using mi browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

vicadd wrote: »
    On Android Samsung S9.
    Good luck tomorrow

Weird I tried to recreate that and it wasn't happening using chrome on an S9!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

Everything looks really well on IPad Air 2.

• Advertisement

tacofries wrote: »
    I have been told by Shopify that the website can handle 500k hits a minute so will be interesting to see!

Now there's a challenge! I'd imagine when people go on Shark Tank their website will always go down then! We're probably safe enough on this side.

Site looks good to me. As mentioned above I wasn't able to recreate the zooming issue, using the same device as a previous poster, so if you're made some changes that's worked. Good luck tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

Mate very impressive. iPhone XS Max

Well done m. User friendly.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Also a console error regarding the zoom library you're using:
    Uncaught TypeError: `new Drift` requires a DOM element as its first argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Seem yo be a few dead links...check here...

https://www.deadlinkchecker.com/website-dead-link-checker.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

jimmii wrote: »
    Weird I tried to recreate that and it wasn't happening using chrome on an S9!

If you swipe up slow and the image is at the bottom of the page then it goes to zoom which stops the page moving up unless you move above the image to swipe up.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If you swipe up slow and the image is at the bottom of the page then it goes to zoom which stops the page moving up unless you move above the image to swipe up.

Ah yeah I see what you mean. Agree definitely no need for that.

Seem yo be a few dead links...check here...

https://www.deadlinkchecker.com/website-dead-link-checker.asp

I hadn't seen that tool before that's really handy! Amazed how few links there are on the site above ran mine through that and it hit the 2k cap :eek:

Taco the links that it flags look like an old contact page that's been deleted and a blog post or something that's been removed but being linked back somewhere else still too. Probably just a small bit of house keeping to tidy up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Looks really good. Same issue with scrolling past that zoom-able picture, on an SGS7. Would definitely remove that feature for now.

Would also remove the flashing cursor line after the scrolling text. It's a bit distracting.

Looks great though. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The zoom is too disconcerting to be honest. Tested on 19" LCD and 14" LCD.

The idea itself looks good to be honest. I wish you all the best with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

+1 to all the suggestions to get rid of the zoom function completely. To me, there are two issues:

1 - On desktop, the bit being shown in zoom mode pops up over some of your key marketing text. Example is even when I followed your link first and my cursor happened to fall to the pic at the top left of your home page. Right-hand bit of my screen was filled with a zoomed-in portion of that pic, so I couldn't see your intro text of 'The ShowerGem shower caddy is the place to store all of your shower essentials. Attach it to your tiles using our easy-use, transparent glue that has been designed for wet shower environments, so no more screws, suction cups or drilling. ' Worse from your point of view, I couldn't see one of your 'buy now' buttons either, which is where you really want people to go!

2 - On the lower down pic with the zoom functionality, you gain nothing from people being able to zoom in on the taps, decorations, shower controls, wooden table with the candle on it, etc. And again, the zoom pop-up is obscuring some of your key text.

I'd also second what somebody else says about your testimonials. Are they from your Facebook page or somewhere similar? Put the usernames with them and also say where they're from.

Overall though, site looks pretty good. Might even buy myself. Just curious - did you build the site yourself or give it out to an agency to do?

Advertisement