Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into Rental House - Essentials?

• 27-10-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi All,

Getting keys for a rental house on Monday. The letting agent is meeting us and will take gas and electricity readings also. I'm just wondering what I can begin signing up for now.

Do I find an electricity provider and ask to be set up Monday morning?
    Do I find a gas provider and ask to be set up by Monday morning?
    Same with an internet/TV provider, try and get installed on Monday/Tuesday?

Its furnished very basic - anyone got tips on absolutely essential items to have when moving in? Besides the usual cutlery, bedding etc. Items like clothes horse, cleaning supplies etc.

Just wondering how soon and when all these things should be done?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

The gas and electricity is already set up, you just need to put it into your name. In terms of changing supplier, I think you can just check with the agent if that is possible. On the internet and TV, there won't be any set up but I assume the connections are there so you should just arrange for that yourself. If you have a provider already then you can just plug in the modem and change the address on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Id live there for a week and be making a list of what you need as it become apparent.

Is there a Hoover and are there spare bags
    Toilet paper and kitchen roll, one you really really don't want to be caught short on
    Is there a composting bin and or a small food bin on the counter - do either need compostable bags?
    What about the garden - who is looking after it and what's provided?
    Are you working from home? Do you need a desk, is there sockets close enough to where the desk will be or do you need an extension lead. Buy a good one with surge protection

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Find out from the agent / owner what's the story with rubbish disposal - if they dont' know, just go and introduce yourself to the neighbours and find out who they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hi All,

Getting keys for a rental house on Monday. The letting agent is meeting us and will take gas and electricity readings also. I'm just wondering what I can begin signing up for now.

Do I find an electricity provider and ask to be set up Monday morning?
    Do I find a gas provider and ask to be set up by Monday morning?
    Same with an internet/TV provider, try and get installed on Monday/Tuesday?

Its furnished very basic - anyone got tips on absolutely essential items to have when moving in? Besides the usual cutlery, bedding etc. Items like clothes horse, cleaning supplies etc.

Just wondering how soon and when all these things should be done?

Thanks in advance!
    Get the gas and electricity meter readings. Also have the MPRN and GPRN. Then check out online who is the best supplier as there is competition and some good offers available for new customers. Sign up promptly as ESB Networks are cutting off supply quick now after request from the utility supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

An electric shower or easy access to hot water when needed for a shower.

• Advertisement

Also: get yourself renters insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Very basic - what does this mean! You might have signed for a contents itinerary as prt of the paperwork? No point spending money where it could be easily provided - or losing a deposit because nobody took stock of what was in!

Have you a contents list?

It will be very cold or your bills will mount up quickly if it dosn’t have lined curtains? I’d consider this a basic?

Matresses?
    Sheets?
    Knives/Forks/Kettle/*Bottleopener!?
    Microwave?
    Sharp knife for chopping?
    Breadboard to protect surfaces (& get deposit back!)

If the hrdware is already there for wifi and is over a year old then of something goes wrong with it you will be liable for it to be repaired. well - with Virgin at least this used be the case. Is there any wifi box there?

Is there a tv?

A toilet seat!?!!! I found out they are all different sizes and expensive to buy!!!

Green and Black bin at minimum - if there is no service contract in place the supplier ( eg Panda/City Bins) may have taken them away! But if they are full you from the previous occupant you will have to pay for them to be emptied! usually a tenner aprox each. If they owe money on past lifts you will have to pay this or they won’t empty your current bin (typically) so worth finding out!

I’d go to Homestore or Dunnes and buy nice new towels and dishtowels, new sheets and duvet cover and a spare, nice smelly disinfectant spray ( not bleach), a scrub thing for pots and dishes, bleach but only for the toilet, marigold gloves for the big move in house clean so you can relax after that knowing its your own germs, a large bottle of wine/beer, a bowl for microwaving popcorn in, a new tin opener and beer opener, a spatula for lifting things from the frying pan, a decent tefal frying pan of there is only an old one or none (Woodies) and also a coffee plunger / teapot (Woodies!) so you can relax on your first day! I’d also check for an icecube tray (Woodies/Homestore!) what lightbulbs the house needs. As lightbulbs are annonyingly expensive I’d check the lamps and rooms to see what is needed before you move in and try and get the landlord to replace them. I’d also get at least two cable splitter / extension for multiple plugs - bedroom, living room and a spare minimum.

And a take away menu from your new nearest chippie to have handy !

Also condiments if presses and fridge is empty - oil, pepper and salt grinder (Lidl e0.99c!) ,sugar, butter, ketchup, eggs, honey/jam, decent coffee/tea and a few tins of soup, biscuits for new guests, cornflakes, and a few tins of whatever takes your fancy to have to graze on as you look around tour empty house and winder what next!!!

Nice furry blanket and scented candles will impress the girls! (Dunnes/Woodies/TKmax) Good to have handy for impromptu first visit over!!

Good luck & lots of happiness in your new home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

PS

Does it have a lamp/ lamps? A basic house might not and a house without a bedside lamp is really annonying as you have to fall around in the dark or get out of bed to turn off the main light! Dunnes/Woodies usially have decent quality low cost ones & their bulbs!

Get one for the living room too!! Save yourself a lot of harsh lighting & high bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Batteries for a torch and remote control ! Marigolds and a toilet brush - bath mat.......

TV is not essential!

Rentals are required to come with a microwave ( and cooker, fridge, washing machine and fixed heating).

• Advertisement
Advertisement