Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engagement Ring (My First Post)

Options
  • 01-10-2020 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

Hopefully I am posting in the right section.

I am looking to buy an engagement ring. I have already proposed to my fiancé and we are now looking at various different rings.

I understand the 4 C's and we have our budget set, but we are struggling to find the ratio and balance between Colour, Clarity & Cut VS Carat (i.e - size).

We found 2 really nice rings at one particular jewellers, and they looked great in terms of Colour, Clarity & Cut to our naked amateur eyes, however I was surprised at the 3 Colour, Clarity & Cut grades... BUT maybe these are normal grades?

Does anyone have any advice on getting the ratio and balance right of 'Colour, Clarity & Cut' VS Carat, or is it purely personal choice?

Here is one ring we are looking at, which we both thought it looked great, but maybe the grades are too low?

- Colour: G
    - Cut: Brilliant
    - Clarity: Si1

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Thread moved to Weddings, Marriage & Civil Partnerships

I think you'll get a better response here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Are you looking at mined diamonds? Would you consider lab? If you can't afford the size you like have a look at moissanite, you can't tell the difference without a tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Honestly I think it's a personal choice. We looked at the 4 C's in the sense of were we overpaying for the ring (I was getting a vintage one so was getting it valued separately as well). Otherwise we just went with the ring I really loved & could see myself wearing for the rest of my life.

Technically mine has imperfections & other things but I don't see them - I just see my lovely ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I didn't care about the 'rules' of diamonds or gem stones. I got the ring I liked the most and that suited our budget.
    Some of these diamond considerations make it sound like an investment. Its a piece of jewellary, just get what you like and don't over analyse it. I've seen rings people went to Antwerp to get and rings people bought in the local jewellery shop on sale and there's really no huge difference to the look of them unless you're really obsessed with gem stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Totally agree with Lazygal and Witchgirl. Its a piece of jewellery and should be treated same as any other piece of jewellery, go with what you like and what you can afford. The days of having to have a particular stone or style or price of ring are gone. I chose not to get an engagement ring but if I had a traditional diamond ring would be the last thing I'd want. She's going to be wearing it a long time, get something she's happy to wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Alkers wrote: »
    Are you looking at mined diamonds? Would you consider lab? If you can't afford the size you like have a look at moissanite, you can't tell the difference without a tester.

My ring is a lab diamond and I get compliments on it all the time. They're identical to mined diamonds (without the risk of conflict!) The clarity and cut is very high grade because it's a lab diamond, so it has fabulous sparkle. Well worth investigating imo. The only "downside" (if you could call it that) is the danger that lab diamonds might flood the market and therefore become way less valuable, but unless you're planning to sell your ring that's neither here nor there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think you're probably getting too hung up on the Cs. I think it's good to be aware of them to make sure you're getting good value for money. E.g. if you have two similar rings with similar sized diamonds and one is way more expensive, it's could be due to the clarity etc. But don't get too caught up in it if you've found a ring you really like.
    Here is one ring we are looking at, which we both thought it looked great, but maybe the grades are too low?

- Colour: G
    - Cut: Brilliant
    - Clarity: Si1

For comparison I find my diamond cert and mine is:
    - Colour: F
    - Cut: Very good
    - Clarity: Si2

There's also additional grading information such as no fluorescence, excellent polish and very good symmetry.

We did a lot of research into the Cs at the time and I remember thinking that these grades were pretty good! I think Si1 and Si2 (i.e. slightly included) is pretty standard or the minimum you'd want for a decent diamond. For colour, G is "nearly colourless". Tbh so long as you're not getting into grades of "faint yellow" you're probably fine (and even then you probably wouldn't notice it with the naked eye). The cut sounds like it's top of the scale and as far as I know, that can be important for the sparkle :)

Personally I wouldn't have any concerns about the grades you've listed, unless you think they're giving you a price tag that doesn't match.

If you love the ring, just go for it! You won't even think about the Cs once you start wearing it.

nikpmup wrote: »
    My ring is a lab diamond and I get compliments on it all the time. They're identical to mined diamonds (without the risk of conflict!) The clarity and cut is very high grade because it's a lab diamond, so it has fabulous sparkle. Well worth investigating imo. The only "downside" (if you could call it that) is the danger that lab diamonds might flood the market and therefore become way less valuable, but unless you're planning to sell your ring that's neither here nor there.

I agree but I interpret the "risk" of lab diamonds flooding the market as a positive. If they do this, mined diamonds will devalue also so that's a moot point. Also, if diamonds devalue in general, they'll be cheaper to insure, less likely to be robbed, you'll be less worried about wearing them and if you lose it, it will be cheaper to replace.

woodchuck wrote: »
    I think you're probably getting too hung up on the Cs. I think it's good to be aware of them to make sure you're getting good value for money. E.g. if you have two similar rings with similar sized diamonds and one is way more expensive, it's could be due to the clarity etc. But don't get too caught up in it if you've found a ring you really like.

For comparison I find my diamond cert and mine is:
    - Colour: F
    - Cut: Very good
    - Clarity: Si2

There's also additional grading information such as no fluorescence, excellent polish and very good symmetry.

We did a lot of research into the Cs at the time and I remember thinking that these grades were pretty good! I think Si1 and Si2 (i.e. slightly included) is pretty standard or the minimum you'd want for a decent diamond. For colour, G is "nearly colourless". Tbh so long as you're not getting into grades of "faint yellow" you're probably fine (and even then you probably wouldn't notice it with the naked eye). The cut sounds like it's top of the scale and as far as I know, that can be important for the sparkle :)

Personally I wouldn't have any concerns about the grades you've listed, unless you think they're giving you a price tag that doesn't match.

If you love the ring, just go for it! You won't even think about the Cs once you start wearing it.

Ask the jeweler to show you the difference between grades on real stones. It's almost impossible to distinguish one from the other without a trained eye if the other cs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I agree but I interpret the "risk" of lab diamonds flooding the market as a positive. If they do this, mined diamonds will devalue also so that's a moot point. Also, if diamonds devalue in general, they'll be cheaper to insure, less likely to be robbed, you'll be less worried about wearing them and if you lose it, it will be cheaper to replace.

Absolutely - I don't have my ring as an investment piece, its a pretty gem on my finger that my husband bought for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Ask the jeweler to show you the difference between grades on real stones. It's almost impossible to distinguish one from the other without a trained eye if the other cs are the same.

Oh I agree! I just think it's good to have some awareness of the Cs so you know you're not being ripped off. Better grades of the 4Cs will obviously command a higher price, but it's up to the individual whether or not they're willing to pay for it.

Advertisement