Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Face covering exemption question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Since when did people go around living their lives on the basis that they might have an illness, we used to call those people hypochondriacs.

Did you go around last year with the assumption you had the flu?

You do know that this thread is not about you don’t you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Penn wrote: »
    Preventative measures only work if they're applied to all.

That is simply not true.

Vaccination is our most widely used preventative measure. Even 80% coverag provides the population with considerable protection.

OP your child is being bullied by exclusion. Make this the school's problem to solve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

OP your child is being bullied by exclusion. Make this the school's problem to solve.

Or just have a word and see if they can do something more reasonable?

A child is getting stressed out here. The welfare of the child is the important factor. Not going in all guns blazing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Since when did people go around living their lives on the basis that they might have an illness

Since March 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Just for the record.My son has autism and severe sinus problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

Whatever the school does, it will be the wrong decision:
    - they sat him away from children: they are bullying him
    - they sat him at the same desk with other children : the school is putting other children at risk

Like said another poster, approach the school with solutions that could satisfy everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Reports on the news say 2 schools now have closed as 2 people tested positive and told to self isolate,bloody hell.One can only do so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

todolist wrote: »
    Just for the record.My son has autism and severe sinus problems.

You DON'T need to explain that anyone. He can't where a mask is the point. Why is no one's business. ;)

That is simply not true.

Vaccination is our most widely used preventative measure. Even 80% coverag provides the population with considerable protection.

So 78 posts for the OP to get the nonsense she wanted to hear. Child is not being bullied. Parent is being a baby.

OP, I feel sorry your child has conditions, I really do. But the whole world cannot revolve around his needs. Remember Spock!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

LorenzoB wrote: »
    OP, I feel sorry your child has conditions, I really do. But the whole world cannot revolve around his needs. Remember Spock!!

What about Spock?!

That is simply not true.

The kid is not being bullied. Unless you have evidence against the principal ?

Someone at the simply didn't think of the child would feel being put to the side. I is horrible and I would be angry but it s wrong to say bullying.

The OP has a role here too. Did he/she not consider what the school needed to do because the kid can't wear a mask? Why did the parents not get involved in finding a solution or making sure it was okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

If the OP wasn't an anti masker this would have made easier reading

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

amdublin wrote: »
    What about Spock?!

"the needs of the many greatly outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

So you would be fine with your child being discriminated against because he has a medical issue? I feel he is been victimised and treated like a leper.

The issue is whether he causes a medical issue, other children have to be protected.

loveall wrote: »
    If the OP wasn't an anti masker this would have made easier reading

Is there mention of this in the thread by the OP?

The issue is whether he causes a medical issue, other children have to be protected.

All the kids need to be protected.

Any child, autism or not, would not like to be seated apart from. the other kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

LorenzoB wrote: »

But we revolve the world around kids who have nut allergies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

"the needs of the many greatly outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Just like nut allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

All the kids need to be protected.

Any child, autism or not, would not like to be seated apart from. the other kids

Not liking something is not on a par with getting a disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

If he has severe sinus problems..... then surely youd want to.protect him from covid!!!!??????

Not liking something is not on a par with getting a disease.

The school is supposed to considered the physical, mental and emotional well being of the children.

The desk with the plastic guard could easily be placed among the others. It didn't need to put to the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Just like nut allergies.

None of the “many” died because they didn’t bring nuts to school though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m reading this thread with complete dismay. Masks were never supposed to be met with 100% compliance. As mrs OBimble has pointed out even 80% compliance has a significant effect on spread at the population level.

Any one individual has a minuscule chance of having/ spreading the virus. Anyone with an exemption from wearing masks should not be treated any differently.

I would take this up with the school. Legally if necessary. And leave the anti mask rhetoric out of it. It’s not helping your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Ah here so much of this thread is nonsense. OP, your child is not being bullied or victimised. The school have to think of everyone and how best to protect EVERY child from the virus. (And staff) Your child can’t wear a mask so they had to put up behind a screen instead.

Would you rather your child was sat with another pupil and infected them? Infected his teacher? His classmates? (Who night also have medical issues and not be able to wear masks?)

Caused an outbreak in the school?

They have to make adjustments so that every single person is protected as much as possible and it’s your responsibility to prepare him for that. You really need to realise that the world doesn’t revolve around your son, and it’s not fair to put others at risk to suit his circumstances. If you’re that unhappy, homeschool him as others have said.

Afroshack wrote: »
    Ah here so much of this thread is nonsense. OP, your child is not being bullied or victimised. The school have to think of everyone and how best to protect EVERY child from the virus. (And staff) Your child can’t wear a mask so they had to put up behind a screen instead.

Would you rather your child was sat with another pupil and infected them? Infected his teacher? His classmates? (Who night also have medical issues and not be able to wear masks?)

Caused an outbreak in the school?

They have to make adjustments so that every single person is protected as much as possible and it’s your responsibility to prepare him for that. You really need to realise that the world doesn’t revolve around your son, and it’s not fair to put others at risk to suit his circumstances. If you’re that unhappy, homeschool him as others have said.

The OP was not objecting to the screen. The problem is that the child was made to sit apart from the others.
    My 13 year old has a medical exemption from wearing face coverings in secondary school.Today he went into his school for induction.The Principal was aware of his exemption yet she made him sit away from other classmates behind a plastic screen beside the class teacher.
    Surely he should be allowed to sit at his desk like everyone else? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

This is the modern way of thinking.

If i donnt get what i want or if i have to consider the needs of others i am a victim and you are discriminating against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The OP was not objecting to the screen. The problem is that the child was made to sit apart from the others.

Look at it from a different perspective.

The child has a medical condition that means that they can't wear a mask... Which is fine.

The school has a duty of care to do what they can to protect this student. Remember this is completely uncharted territory for everyone and a bloody steep learning curve.

The school took the decision to put the child behind a safety screen, for the child's own safety... Yes they are apart from the group, but they are the most vulnerable of the group.

I guarantee if the child was let mingle freely you'd have a parent on saying "my child can't wear a mask and the school has done nothing. They are left to their own devices we feel totally abandoned"

Yes.... imagine if this child got covid..... parent would then accuse the school.of negligence ....... discrimination! Because they didnt protect him against covid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Absolute nonsense and shame on you for even spouting such ****. The school has a duty of care to ALL of its students, it’s not the schools problem if one child is unable to wear a face mask. The other students need to be protected and exemption or not, if you can’t wear a mask then stay at home or be prepared for some level of exclusion. That’s the way it works in the real world and is rightly the way it is working in schools as well.

No you are speaking nonsense. An exemption from mask wearing is no excuse to treat a child with special needs any differently

This thread is A perfect example of why public health were reluctant to make them mandatory in the first place.

Advertisement