Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you change?

• 13-07-2020 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

After 4 years ttc we've just started with a fertility clinic. I already think we've wasted valuable time and should have got help sooner but before we start treatment, I'd love to know, what would you have done differently or changed after going through treatment. I know everyone is different but just looking for opinions on things people found wasted their time xx 

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's hard to know.

We were two yrs TTC, did clomid and had a healthy pregnancy & birth but then had a series of miscarriages. So if I was doing it again, I'd just go abroad to Serum or Gennet altogether. Compared to other countries when you have recurrent misses the HSE don't really do anything other than test the various hormones and send you on your way. And that's only after you've had three miscarriages. Then when there's no cause found basically shrug and tell you to try IVF. And in our case it would have been very hit and miss because I was early forties then.

So yeah, I wish that after my first MC that we just went abroad altogether and not wasted our time with the system here. Abroad the tests are more in-depth, there's more tests done, the technology is often better and while you might not actually save much once you factor in flights etc they just seem to be more efficient overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭skallywag

The one thing which we would have definitely changed looking back is setting the bar lower, taking a wider view of things, and setting more realistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It’s not something I would change because I got lucky and pushed back against the doc.

Basically after months trying for number 2 and nothing doing we got the basic tests and went to see a doc at one of the leading fertility clinics. His recommendation was IVF and not to wait too long as I had low amh.

I asked about doing a HSG. It’s cheap and is shown by itself to improve fertility for 3 months afterwards. He said it wasn’t necessary because I’d already had a baby without assistance, it wouldn’t find anything.

I insisted and got it anyway. Turned out I had a hydrosalpinx (fluid filled swelling) on my right Fallopian tube. They impede conception whether it’s IVF or unassisted. I had it taken out and got pregnant a few months later. If I hadn’t had the HSG we could have spent €€€€ on IVF for most likely nothing.

Always have the HSG (or similar investigation, there are a few versions)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ingoodtime wrote: »
    After 4 years ttc we've just started with a fertility clinic. I already think we've wasted valuable time and should have got help sooner but before we start treatment, I'd love to know, what would you have done differently or changed after going through treatment. I know everyone is different but just looking for opinions on things people found wasted their time xx 

I wish we hadn’t left it so long to get fertility treatment. I was almost 39 when I finally got pregnant and now at 43 I really want another. I hate how long it took but it was also a bit out of our control and we also had to get finances in order etc. I am trying to get that ball rolling now to go again so we don’t waste more time.

Advertisement