Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Iui vs ivf

Options
  • 13-07-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So after 4 years ttc with unexplained fertility we are now about to start treatment but can't decide on what treatment! Like all of us, I want to get pregnant as quick as I can with the highest chance as possible so that would be IVF/ICSI but should we give IUI a try at least? I'm so torn at the moment, I'm 31 and would hope for 2 or 3 children, please God, so I'm thinking if I got a good egg collection now at this age I could possibly get 2 children from that but if I go with IUI and even if it was successful by the time we tried again could be 2/3 years from now and my AMH would have decreased. Am I being selfish thinking of having 2, when I can't even get pregnant for 1, should I try IUI before putting my body through IVF protocols. My consultant is pushing IVF because it hasn't happened in 4 years he thinks IUI is not much more than regular intercourse for us, considering I'm ovulating on time, lots of focilles and no Male factor. 

All advice/comments welcome ❤xx 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Hi there,

Firstly you’re not selfish for wanting more than one child. It’s good on this journey to know what you want.

You can think about IUI vs IVF a couple of ways. In terms of IUI it’s cheaper. So you could have 6 IUIs for the cost of 1 IVF. That’s what our consultant said to us when we were weighing up options. There’s also the fact that it’s less invasive so it can be a less daunting start to fertility treatment.

That said it’s less successful, and your consultant seems to have indicated that they don’t think it will work for you. Do you trust your consultant or are you worried that they might be encouraging you down the more expensive treatment route?

If IVF goes well you could have your whole family from one round. I don’t know how often that actually happens but it is possible.

Unfortunately no-one can come on here and tell you what to do, as only you can decide what’s right for you. You have got time on your side, it may not feel like it to you but I’m 38 and my consultant says I’m one of his younger patients. You’re young enough that if you decide to try IUI first you’ve got time.

Just for context my journey has been 2 failed IUIs, and 1 IVF that sadly ended in a miscarriage. I didn’t have frozen embryos so I’ll be doing IVF again. The IUIs definitely made IVF feel less daunting and there were some learnings around how I react to the medication. The IVF gave even more learnings in terms of egg quality and my ability to get pregnant. Any cycle, even if unsuccessful will give you’re clinic insight into what’s happening for you guys.

If you asked me what I would do differently, I think I’d have done one IUI and then moved onto IVF, but I made the decisions that were right for me at the time so there’s no point in looking back.

Some of the best money I’ve spent on this journey is acupuncture with someone who really understands fertility treatment. She gave me a list of questions for our consultant that I would never have known to ask and I feel like I’m getting more from the next cycle than I would have without her insight. If you’re unsure what’s the best treatment for you, maybe it’s worth finding someone else who can give you an objective view.

Wishing you all the best, this is a rollercoaster of a journey but there is always support. Never be afraid to ask for it x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hi. I did IUI just before my 39th birthday and despite being given a 12% chance of it being successful, we went for it anyway and it worked first time for us. We now have a 4 year old boy. I am now 43 and dying to have one more, so I think I will be going for a consultation again and seeing if they think we could do IUI again. In my experience with IUI I could have it done in my local clinic and I didn’t need to travel for anything or have to take a lot of time off work. If we had decided to do ivf we would have had to have the actual procedure done in another county. Plus IUI is a lot cheaper so we could try for a few if it didn’t work first time. I also have unexplained infertility. We tried for 6 years before doing fertility treatments.

I am hoping things go smoothly again this time, but I am a lot more nervous about it this time around. I think I might do some fertility massage to try to help things along and relax me a bit.

Best of luck wIt’s whatever you decide.

Advertisement